RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

GoodRx??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/03/19 7:08 pm    ::: GoodRx?? Reply Reply with quote

Watching bball today I saw a couple of commercials for this.

Anybody know anything about it or used it?

I checked my 'scripts and they would cost me a lot less going this way than through my insurance...if it works.

Thanks.

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/03/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. GoodRx is something everyone should be using.

Even with good insurance, there are prescriptions that cost less on GoodRx than my Co-Pay, as long as you aren't too picky about where you go to have them filled (the cheapest place might be Walmart one month, Costco the next, etc).

It works exactly as advertised.

PostPosted: 03/03/19 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Yes. GoodRx is something everyone should be using.

Even with good insurance, there are prescriptions that cost less on GoodRx than my Co-Pay, as long as you aren't too picky about where you go to have them filled (the cheapest place might be Walmart one month, Costco the next, etc).

It works exactly as advertised.

Sweet!! Thanks justin!

Wish I had heard of this a long time ago!!!!! I just spent $200.00 to get my 'scripts refilled through my insurance. It would be $52.00 through GoodRx.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/03/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, I do have a question.

Should I get paper 'scripts from my doctor or drive her staff crazy by having them called in to different pharmacies?

I have four pharmacies within half a mile (six within 2 miles and Walmart is about 3 miles) so getting different one filled at different places isn't really a problem for me.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/03/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Should I get paper 'scripts from my doctor or drive her staff crazy by having them called in to different pharmacies?

I have four pharmacies within half a mile (six within 2 miles and Walmart is about 3 miles) so getting different one filled at different places isn't really a problem for me.

I usually just get paper scripts, but if I know which pharmacy I am going to use for sure then I sometimes have them phone it in.

PostPosted: 03/03/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I usually just get paper scripts, but if I know which pharmacy I am going to use for sure then I sometimes have them phone it in.

Thanks. Now I just have to convince my doctor that I can be responsible enough to hand 6 months of scripts over to (they're not controlled substances). She will usually only go 3 months at a time and then I need to contact her office for the next refill.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/03/19 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most doctors offices are familiar with GoodRx and should be more than happy to work with you if you tell them what you are trying to do.

I learned about GoodRx from my doctor.

PostPosted: 03/03/19 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Most doctors offices are familiar with GoodRx and should be more than happy to work with you if you tell them what you are trying to do.

I learned about GoodRx from my doctor.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. We have a pretty good relationship. I think. Besides, I can always threaten to find a doctor that will give me 6 months worth. Smile

I know when I started with this doctor, her staff said that she would only go 3 months at a time (unlike my previous doctor, from the same practice, that would go for the full year). That was like 7-8 years ago. I think that she might be mellowing a little now. She actually laughed during one of my appointments! Smile

Thanks again for the info!

Howee

PostPosted: 03/04/19 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hopeful when I checked them out, but my high-tier drugs (not available in generic) were pricier than via insurance. But it's great to hear that people DO find it a viable option.

PostPosted: 03/04/19 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought GoodRx might be a scam, but Costco accepted the coupon for a generic drug that my Medicare Part D plan didn't cover at all, which saved me about 20% off the Costco retail price. I've found Costco's retail prices to be lower than anyone else.

To shop around for price, you sometimes have to have a paper Rx and just take the time to go into various pharmacies to get an exact price. Then ask whether they accept the GoodRx coupon.

For really expensive drugs, I use this so-called Canadian pharmacy, which has been very reliable:

https://www.globalcarerx.com/

For example, a particular generic drug that is $55 a pill at Costco and Walmart is 55 cents a pill from Canada (sourced from India).
Howee

PostPosted: 03/04/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. On the global site, my priciest drugs are still more than what I pay here with insurance, BUT the less expensive drugs are much better on price with this website. Thanks for the information!

PostPosted: 05/27/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did join Good Rx, but I'm not sure that I'm going to use it. It looks like the discount is through a coupon, right? All of those prices were higher than what I found by looking at the site. It was pretty interesting to see the differences in prices.

Here's what I have found.

Two of my meds are going to be cheaper going through my insurance (one is $2.82 and the other is $5.00). Two through Walmart - $10.00 for one and $24.00* for the other. The last one through Kroger's Rx club that I have to pay $36.00/year to join, will be $12.00. Those are all for 90 days.

So ~$252.00/year.

My insurance has a $175.00 deductible. $40.00 co-pays for 2 of my meds (the site won't tell me for the third one, but I'm guessing about $16.00). The other two are $2.82 and $5.00. About $512.00 going through my insurance.

My insurance has this strange thing where if I have paid anywhere under $175.00 towards my deductible amount, I will STILL pay FULL price for my next medication. I could be at $174.99 and if my next medication purchased is $200.00, I will pay $200.00 for it. Not $.01 plus the $40.00 co-pay. Found that out the expensive way!

Just imagine if your medical insurance was like that.

*This med I'm supposed to take 2.5 a day. I'm too lazy to cut the pill, so I only take 2 a day. When I put in 225 for quantity, Walmart price went up to $180.00. From $24.00 to $180.00!! If my dr. won't re-write it for 180, I'll have to go to a third place that will only be $35.00 for the 225 pills. I'll probably still only take 2 a day, so I'll only have to pick-up 3 times a year. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: