RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

GoodRx??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/03/19 7:08 pm    ::: GoodRx?? Reply Reply with quote

Watching bball today I saw a couple of commercials for this.

Anybody know anything about it or used it?

I checked my 'scripts and they would cost me a lot less going this way than through my insurance...if it works.

Thanks.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/03/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. GoodRx is something everyone should be using.

Even with good insurance, there are prescriptions that cost less on GoodRx than my Co-Pay, as long as you aren't too picky about where you go to have them filled (the cheapest place might be Walmart one month, Costco the next, etc).

It works exactly as advertised.

PostPosted: 03/03/19 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Even with good insurance, there are prescriptions that cost less on GoodRx than my Co-Pay, as long as you aren't too picky about where you go to have them filled (the cheapest place might be Walmart one month, Costco the next, etc).

Sweet!! Thanks justin!

Wish I had heard of this a long time ago!!!!! I just spent $200.00 to get my 'scripts refilled through my insurance. It would be $52.00 through GoodRx.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/03/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, I do have a question.

Should I get paper 'scripts from my doctor or drive her staff crazy by having them called in to different pharmacies?

I have four pharmacies within half a mile (six within 2 miles and Walmart is about 3 miles) so getting different one filled at different places isn't really a problem for me.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/03/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Should I get paper 'scripts from my doctor or drive her staff crazy by having them called in to different pharmacies?

I have four pharmacies within half a mile (six within 2 miles and Walmart is about 3 miles) so getting different one filled at different places isn't really a problem for me.

I usually just get paper scripts, but if I know which pharmacy I am going to use for sure then I sometimes have them phone it in.

PostPosted: 03/03/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I usually just get paper scripts, but if I know which pharmacy I am going to use for sure then I sometimes have them phone it in.

Thanks. Now I just have to convince my doctor that I can be responsible enough to hand 6 months of scripts over to (they're not controlled substances). She will usually only go 3 months at a time and then I need to contact her office for the next refill.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/03/19 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most doctors offices are familiar with GoodRx and should be more than happy to work with you if you tell them what you are trying to do.

I learned about GoodRx from my doctor.

PostPosted: 03/03/19 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Most doctors offices are familiar with GoodRx and should be more than happy to work with you if you tell them what you are trying to do.

I learned about GoodRx from my doctor.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. We have a pretty good relationship. I think. Besides, I can always threaten to find a doctor that will give me 6 months worth. Smile

I know when I started with this doctor, her staff said that she would only go 3 months at a time (unlike my previous doctor, from the same practice, that would go for the full year). That was like 7-8 years ago. I think that she might be mellowing a little now. She actually laughed during one of my appointments! Smile

Thanks again for the info!

Howee

PostPosted: 03/04/19 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hopeful when I checked them out, but my high-tier drugs (not available in generic) were pricier than via insurance. But it's great to hear that people DO find it a viable option.

PostPosted: 03/04/19 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought GoodRx might be a scam, but Costco accepted the coupon for a generic drug that my Medicare Part D plan didn't cover at all, which saved me about 20% off the Costco retail price. I've found Costco's retail prices to be lower than anyone else.

To shop around for price, you sometimes have to have a paper Rx and just take the time to go into various pharmacies to get an exact price. Then ask whether they accept the GoodRx coupon.

For really expensive drugs, I use this so-called Canadian pharmacy, which has been very reliable:

https://www.globalcarerx.com/

For example, a particular generic drug that is $55 a pill at Costco and Walmart is 55 cents a pill from Canada (sourced from India).
Howee

PostPosted: 03/04/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. On the global site, my priciest drugs are still more than what I pay here with insurance, BUT the less expensive drugs are much better on price with this website. Thanks for the information!

PostPosted: 05/27/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did join Good Rx, but I'm not sure that I'm going to use it. It looks like the discount is through a coupon, right? All of those prices were higher than what I found by looking at the site. It was pretty interesting to see the differences in prices.

Here's what I have found.

Two of my meds are going to be cheaper going through my insurance (one is $2.82 and the other is $5.00). Two through Walmart - $10.00 for one and $24.00* for the other. The last one through Kroger's Rx club that I have to pay $36.00/year to join, will be $12.00. Those are all for 90 days.

So ~$252.00/year.

My insurance has a $175.00 deductible. $40.00 co-pays for 2 of my meds (the site won't tell me for the third one, but I'm guessing about $16.00). The other two are $2.82 and $5.00. About $512.00 going through my insurance.

My insurance has this strange thing where if I have paid anywhere under $175.00 towards my deductible amount, I will STILL pay FULL price for my next medication. I could be at $174.99 and if my next medication purchased is $200.00, I will pay $200.00 for it. Not $.01 plus the $40.00 co-pay. Found that out the expensive way!

Just imagine if your medical insurance was like that.

*This med I'm supposed to take 2.5 a day. I'm too lazy to cut the pill, so I only take 2 a day. When I put in 225 for quantity, Walmart price went up to $180.00. From $24.00 to $180.00!! If my dr. won't re-write it for 180, I'll have to go to a third place that will only be $35.00 for the 225 pills. I'll probably still only take 2 a day, so I'll only have to pick-up 3 times a year. Smile

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/13/21 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update: Possible new source for meds. It doesn't do much for me. Mine would be less expensive through ScriptCo, but not enough less to offset the membership fee. A couple of mine were even more expensive through ScriptCo.

Hopefully someone can benefit from this info.

Quote:
ScriptCo co-founder and president Zack Zeller said their company doesn't go through insurance and makes its money through a $140 annual membership fee, or a $50 quarterly fee. Depending on the option members choose, they get 1-4 free shipments a year. After that, the customer pays it.

https://www.wthr.com/article/money/whats-the-deal/how-to-buy-your-prescriptions-at-cost-indianapolis-indiana-cash-coupons-insurance/531-cfe99794-3acb-41df-b1f0-378ee3cbb1fc

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/13/21 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

I thought the pharmacy you went to would price match. I didn’t think you had to go to whichever pharmacy was the cheapest. Can you confirm or deny? Thanks.

P.S. I tried using aGoodRX for my dog’s meds, but it’s only for hoomans.

PostPosted: 08/13/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I thought the pharmacy you went to would price match. I didn’t think you had to go to whichever pharmacy was the cheapest. Can you confirm or deny? Thanks.

Do you mean my pharmacy specifically or GoodRx? Actually I've never come across that with either one. Is it a deep, dark, hard to find secret somewhere?

Something like this could really change the game if some local pharmacies would price match.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/13/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Do you mean my pharmacy specifically or GoodRx? Actually I've never come across that with either one. Is it a deep, dark, hard to find secret somewhere?

Something like this could really change the game if some local pharmacies would price match.

yes, would any pharmacy accept the GoodRX coupon on your phone or if say the cheaper price was at CVS, but you were at a Rite-Aid would Rite-Aid honor the GoodRX price for CVS? Make sense? Wink

PostPosted: 08/13/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
justintyme wrote:

yes, would any pharmacy accept the GoodRX coupon on your phone or if say the cheaper price was at CVS, but you were at a Rite-Aid would Rite-Aid honor the GoodRX price for CVS? Make sense? Wink

I'm pretty sure that each pharmacy has their own GoodRx discount coupon that you need to get. I see different prices for different pharmacies for the same med. The pharmacy that I go to is the cheapest for that med so I don't know if you could use another, cheaper one or not.

I only have one medication that is cheaper through the GoodRx coupon vs the store's pharmacy program, so it's better for me to pay the $36 and bypass my insurance and GoodRx both, except for that one med.

GoodRx is kind of strange. I have a card on file at the pharmacy, but the GoodRx coupon is always cheaper than even using the GoodRx card. I don't understand why, but it makes it time consuming for the pharmacy staff. They always have to change the price when I pick up my meds. I've wondered if they are counting on people not noticing that they really haven't been given the lowest price that they are entitled to through whatever discounts they have.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/14/21 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
This med I'm supposed to take 2.5 a day. I'm too lazy to cut the pill, so I only take 2 a day.

I don't follow the price gyrations for this med, but geez, Ex-Ref, a cheap pill cutter is easy to use. Or why not alternate 2 and 3 pills on alternate days (if that's okay with your doc)?
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/14/21 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
This med I'm supposed to take 2.5 a day. I'm too lazy to cut the pill, so I only take 2 a day.

I don't follow the price gyrations for this med, but geez, Ex-Ref, a cheap pill cutter is easy to use. Or why not alternate 2 and 3 pills on alternate days (if that's okay with your doc)?

I do all of the above (yes, I'm the patient that has caused my doctor's hair to turn a little gray!). It usually just depends on how much of a hurry I'm in. Sometimes I take the time to cut the pills (the pill cutter is within arms reach right now) and put them into the little daily pill things, sometimes I take just two a day, and then other times I will take three. Usually depends on how many come out of the bottle when I'm taking them and if I can remember how many I took the day before. Some days I don't even take them. 🤣

They are on my list of things to talk my doctor about stopping, but it seems like we never have time to get through her 10,000 questions and my list. Everything else is more important to me, so....🤣🤣🤣 I never claimed to be a good patient!!

It's kind of like with my Vitamin D. One day my doctor asked me how much I take. I told her "sometimes I take one, sometimes I take two. It depends on how much I've been outside and if it's been overcast or not." Her reply, "oh, the scientific method?" She kind of gets me. 😉

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/14/21 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In case anyone cares about their business model, GoodRx was founded by 2 Facebook execs, and for a decade shared its users personal information with FB to allow the latter to provide directed advertising from pharm companies and drug chains to its members. GoodRx also shared your personal information with Google for the same reason, and with a bunch of other unspecified "third parties." After being caught last year, they promised to stop but who knows. In addition to making money off this scheme, they also get a commission on the prescription, which comes out of your pharmacy's bottom line. They're now a $12B business and recently branched into telemedicine so their docs can write prescriptions for patients they've never seen.

While I'm glad people are getting their prescriptions at lower costs, I don't think any of this is good for the public in the long run. However, Amazon took notice and launched PrimeRx, and now the 2 companies are busy acquiring smaller companies. In the meantime, our healthcare dollars are being siphoned off by these giant middlemen.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/14/21 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
In case anyone cares about their business model, GoodRx was founded by 2 Facebook execs, and for a decade shared its users personal information with FB to allow the latter to provide directed advertising from pharm companies and drug chains to its members. GoodRx also shared your personal information with Google for the same reason, and with a bunch of other unspecified "third parties." After being caught last year, they promised to stop but who knows. In addition to making money off this scheme, they also get a commission on the prescription, which comes out of your pharmacy's bottom line. They're now a $12B business and recently branched into telemedicine so their docs can write prescriptions for patients they've never seen.

While I'm glad people are getting their prescriptions at lower costs, I don't think any of this is good for the public in the long run. However, Amazon took notice and launched PrimeRx, and now the 2 companies are busy acquiring smaller companies. In the meantime, our healthcare dollars are being siphoned off by these giant middlemen.

No mega-business is good for the public in the long run whether it be pharma, insurance or hospital system. The entire economic system works against the public. The rich get richer. Then they control the wages of the non-rich, which forces the workers to look for alternative ways to afford the things that the rich provide at a lower cost forcing the little guy out of business, which allows the big guys to get bigger therefore perpetuating the cycle.

This ship sailed a LONG time ago. Possibly even before Ford and the model T.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/14/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we want supply/demand to improve for workers (and I am not convinced even the average person who has a job does), regardless of monopolies or country-wide companies, a key is to move supply/demand in favor of workers. We are doing the opposite. Jobs were and are allowed to be freely exported. And even with jobs going out, workers are allowed to be continuously imported, including special visa categories targeted at any job category where workers are gaining an advantage. And you don't want to have millions of people illegally in the country working for illegal worker wage rates and conditions if helping American workers is the goal.

Tally24

PostPosted: 08/15/21 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was a pharmacy tech in undergrad and GoodRX is amazing. Back in the pharmacy, we have a cheat sheet of discount cards: GoodRX, Texas Drug Card, Save Script etc.

In theory, we are never supposed to run anything as a “cash” payment. Meaning, we should always apply a discount card if the patient doesn’t have insurance on file. Obviously, retail pharmacy is very much about speed and amount of scrips filled, so that doesn’t always happen. The best thing you can do is go in to your pharmacy on a Sunday afternoon (usually the least busiest time and the best tech will be working and doing inventory), walk to the drop off counter, and try each one out. It’s kind of a tedious process: we have to go in, edit the third party info on your script, change the ID, BIN, and Group #, and adjudicate the prescription. Then, the pharmacist has to verify that nothing was changed other than the third party info, rebag it, and scan it back out. The prices on the app aren’t always accurate because it really spends on which NDC we have of each script. CVS uses McKesson for inventory, so we can only get drugs that they supply.

With regard to brand only medications, look into manufacturer’s coupons. Go to the site of the medication you need and search around. Usually, they have them and you provide name and email and they will send it to your email. You usually can run it in tandem with your primary insurance and knock a nice chunk off the price.

In an ideal world, your techs would be able to tell you all of this, but the pharmacy is a place where people wait in the drive thru for mixed antibiotics and ask you to run onto the floor and grab a gallon of milk.
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 08/26/21 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting this comes up. My friend just got a job there doing email marketing. I only have one prescription which is essentially free, but I'll sign up for her emails to get the lowdown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: