RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Otto Warmbier and fake news’s darkest day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/01/19 5:55 am    ::: Otto Warmbier and fake news’s darkest day Reply Reply with quote

One whole day of wasted outrage. A great big lie repeated over and over again by everyone all day long. The truth? Please. Most of us aren’t on the side of the truth anymore. If anyone cares to read the best assessment of the facts as we know them about what happened to Otto Warmbier, read this excellent article that was in GQ last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/otto-warmbier-north-korea-american-hostage-true-story/amp

Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/01/19 11:14 am    ::: Re: Otto Warmbier and fake news’s darkest day Reply Reply with quote

What's the specific lie that you say has been "repeated over and over again by everyone all day long"?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/01/19 1:07 pm    ::: Re: Otto Warmbier and fake news’s darkest day Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
What's the specific lie that you say has been "repeated over and over again by everyone all day long"?

The specific lie is that "we know" that Otto Warmbier was brutally tortured. There are over 8 billion people on this planet. Obviously my saying it was "repeated over and over again by everyone all day long" is a rhetorical figure of speech. It was the narrative yesterday and the jumping off point of an entire day's outrage at Trump. Most of the people engaging or I guess I could say trafficking in that outrage HAVE read the excellent investigative piece in GQ and know that, although we don't know for certain, every indication points to Otto having attempted suicide immediately after his sentencing. But what I didn't hear yesterday was anyone offering that possible explanation to the American people, the vast majority of whom would not have read nor known anything at all about the GQ article.

Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/01/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="677" height="381" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S7UgoysDA-s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7UgoysDA-s

PostPosted: 03/01/19 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want to point out some things about the Warmbiers, whose loss is unimaginable, and in the senselessly evil and then very public way in which it occurred, I would think something many people would not be able to recover from.

There's nothing new here in their position or statements regarding the death of their son. They have, as the GQ article from last year states, dismissed 'categorically' the possibility that their son attempted suicide and then declined to comment for the GQ article. Whatever they say, don't say, think, or feel at this time is understandable. But now their emotional perspective on the tragic loss is being used politically. And throw in to that the reality is that they're so angry and hurt and destroyed by what happened that they're going to be lashing out forever.

And the media, who Trump has been calling the enemy of the people for probably four years now, and the resistance etc. on Twitter, are GLEEFULLY putting the Warmbiers and their raw emotional state front and center in day two of what is a made up fake news attack on Trump. All because people have lost their souls in this time of Trump.

Trump's election, his presidency, is having an effect on the country that reminds me of what happened after the assassination of JFK. You had widespread disillusionment and bending and even breaking of the social and civil bonds. The collapse of trust, etc. The fallout of that single event was felt for probably two to three decades. Trump is also making that kind of a splash, if you ask me. Country is being split down the middle with extreme vehemence now the default posture and only acceptable posture on either side. If you get on Twitter it seems hard to find people who don't have a strident and angry political statement in their bio, profile, etc.

And I'm just going to say this. In this country, this world, where we depend so much on whatever truth we can get from a free press, the damage being done to our press is IMO worse than anything else that is happening right now. It is what will be our undoing as a great country and world leader. It is completely shredding the fibers that hold us together as a country. We still might be a world leader in the future. But we will be a far more violently divided country racially, economically, educationally, geographically, politically, etc. two and three decades out.

The fake news attacks are as damaging as anything Trump has actually done. They may be just fine with people who want to see Trump attacked and shamed by the news media and the resistance that says that the media has actually been SOFT on Trump. But with a large part of this country, common people and many with common sense, they are losing trust in the news as it is being reported by the metric ton every second of every day.

Other than that, have a great weekend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: