RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Interesting BE wknd - 4 games Fri 3/1 - FS2 and free stream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:44 pm    ::: Interesting BE wknd - 4 games Fri 3/1 - FS2 and free stream Reply Reply with quote

The middle of the pack is really bunched in the Big East and there's a lot to be decided in the final weekend for conference finish and BET seeding. The only seeds locked up so far are Marquette with the 1 seed, DePaul with the 2 seed and Xavier with the 10 seed. Additionally Butler has assured themselves a bye on the first day of the BET. Marquette needs one more win to assure themselves the outright BE conference title but they really need to win out anyway to have any chance of a 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Friday games - all free stream via FoxSportsGo:

DePaul at Providence - 7P EST
Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/providence/wbball

Georgetown at Butler - 7P EST
Stats: http://statb.us/b/233133

Villanova at Xavier - 7P EST - FS2
Stats: https://goxavier.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Marquette at Creighton - 8P EST
Stats: http://creighton.statbroadcast.com/

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So yeah - Marquette will not be hosting any NCAA tourney games. I’m not sure they’ll even win any games in the postseason. They trail at Creighton 33-13 - ouch!

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/01/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ouch indeed.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/01/19 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Butler seems to have sealed their fate by losing 72-42 to Georgetown. NIT

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missed most of this game and come home to see Danielle King down Sad. Wow this season has just gone up in flames...

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
And Butler seems to have sealed their fate by losing 72-42 to Georgetown. NIT

Wow - they were at home too - did not expect that.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this is where you'd expect the reigning BE POY to step up - oh wait Blockton has done pretty much nothing but foul this game.

Well congrats to DePaul for being BE co-champions - don't see Marquette winning again this season at this point...

Edited to add - Blockton just fouled out with 6:55 to go and zero points.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/01/19 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Davenport actually that important to Marquette? This is putting them in an ugly position going into the Big East tournament. But I believe will pull it together to beat Providence.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Is Davenport actually that important to Marquette? This is putting them in an ugly position going into the Big East tournament. But I believe will pull it together to beat Providence.

Yes she is. And that's why I was crushed when she went down (well also upset for her too of course). They have zero depth in the post and she was an incredibly strong rebounder. Before she got hurt, I had said she was the player they could least afford to lose. Once again I'm wishing Tori McCoy could have played this year (well and not be sick of course - sorry she's dealing with her illness).

And now Danielle King's career might have ended too...

I'm not sure they're going to win again this season at this point Sad.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton beats Marquette 71-65 - one of those scores that makes the game look closer than it really was.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/02/19 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only one other seed was determined last night for the BET - Butler locked up the 3 seed despite a home blowout loss to Georgetown. They play Villanova tomorrow and could end up tied with them if they lose but Butler holds the tiebreaker based on a win over Marquette.

Seton Hall will either be the 8 or 9 seed:
If the Pirates beat the St. John’s on Sunday, The Hall with be the No. 8 seed and face the ninth-seeded Red Storm six days later; if St. John’s wins, the Pirates are the No. 9 seed while the Johnnies will have to wait for Georgetown, Providence and Creighton to wrap up as all four can finish 8-10, but GU, PC and CU can also finish 9-9 to trap St. John’s into the eight-seed.

That was from this article: http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/3/2/womens-basketball-last-night-in-bigeastwbb-3-2-19.aspx

I was figuring Marquette would get St. John's or Georgetown in the first round of the BET as they struggled with both this season. But at this point I"m not sure it matters who MU faces - they are going to have trouble beating anyone I think.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Yes she is. And that's why I was crushed when she went down (well also upset for her too of course). They have zero depth in the post and she was an incredibly strong rebounder. Before she got hurt, I had said she was the player they could least afford to lose. Once again I'm wishing Tori McCoy could have played this year (well and not be sick of course - sorry she's dealing with her illness).

I haven't watched them as much as Fan has but I definitely agree that Davenport was key for them. Their achilles heel already was that they had no height in the paint but at least Davenport gave them a presence and was very good considering her size. Without her, they have some good guards and that is all. Feel really bad for her and the rest of her teammates.

- Amanda Gorman
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/02/19 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I haven't watched them as much as Fan has but I definitely agree that Davenport was key for them. Their achilles heel already was that they had no height in the paint but at least Davenport gave them a presence and was very good considering her size. Without her, they have some good guards and that is all. Feel really bad for her and the rest of her teammates.

Yeah I think what Davenport was able to accomplish especially when you consider she was an undersized center was pretty incredible. There is now pretty much zero threat on the inside for MU and unless they have an incredible shooting performance from the outside they are pretty much in a world of hurt. And well even if they have that, it might not be enough as the post defense is especially poor.

This is not at all how this senior class wanted to go out of course and I feel really bad for them and Carolyn Kieger. Things kind of imploded right here at the end of this season. This is the best class ever at Marquette but it may very well end up being that they only win one NCAA Tournament game - last year as juniors against Dayton in the first round. And the 5 seed they earned as sophomores in 2017 before being upset by Quinnipiac will probably end up being the highest seed they earned. They may even drop to an 8/9 this year especially if King is also out.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/02/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. What a collapse. Sorry, MUfan.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/02/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now I think Marquette might be having travel issues. They just tweeted out some pictures of them doing an ad hoc practice that looks like they are at an airport. Lauren VanKleunen looks like she's holding something that's supposed to be serving as a basketball. I did spot Danielle King standing there in sweats - looks like she may be able to practice - not sure...

It was already a quick turnaround from a Fri night 7P central game in Omaha to a 1P EST Sunday game in Providence...

https://twitter.com/MarquetteWBB/status/1101947357539622912

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: