RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Germany to ban internal combustion engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/09/16 8:20 am    ::: Germany to ban internal combustion engines Reply Reply with quote

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/10/08/germanys-bundesrat-resolves-end-of-internal-combustion-engine/#fc6113331d95

Quote:
Diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles officially are an endangered species in Germany, and possibly all of the EU. This after Germany’s Bunderat has passed a resolution to ban the internal combustion engine starting in 2030

PostPosted: 10/09/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that they see this as turning Tesla into "roadkill". The Tesla fanatics seem to mostly think that Tesla has a lead that they will never relinquish to the big automakers.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/09/16 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In August 2016, Tesla held about 0.2 percent of the car and light truck market in the United States.

Is that supposed to be an insurmountable lead?

tfan

PostPosted: 10/09/16 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
In August 2016, Tesla held about 0.2 percent of the car and light truck market in the United States.

But it is the leading electric car maker. They see electric cars as rapidly taking over the marketplace and big auto not prepared for it, and think that Tesla can rapidly build up their production capacity. They also look at the Tesla Supercharger Network as giving them a huge edge (even though they built it up to some significance in only a few years).

I personally think that if electric cars took off, the big auto makers would have more of an advantage from their production experience than Tesla has from electric car knowledge. Tesla also "open sourced" all, or most of their patents in the interest of making electric cars gain in popularity faster and driving overall costs down as well as fighting global warming.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/09/16 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

But it is the leading electric car maker. They see electric cars as rapidly taking over the marketplace and big auto not prepared for it, and think that Tesla can rapidly build up their production capacity. They also look at the Tesla Supercharger Network as giving them a huge edge (even though they built it up to some significance in only a few years).

I personally think that if electric cars took off, the big auto makers would have more of an advantage from their production experience than Tesla has from electric car knowledge. Tesla also "open sourced" all, or most of their patents in the interest of making electric cars gain in popularity faster and driving overall costs down as well as fighting global warming.

Distribution.

The big automakers have huge worldwide car, parts, retail sales, and service distribution infrastructure in place.

I think that if Toyota or Ford or VW/Audi got serious about selling electric cars, they would swamp Tesla almost overnight.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/01/19 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So today Tesla released their $35k version of the Model 3.

The revolution is well underway, competition is ramping up, and EV prices are constantly falling.
I don't know that gasoline cars will ever be completely extinct, but I'm pretty sure they'll have niche status pretty soon and that's great news.

PostPosted: 03/01/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see it playing out the way these lawmakers in the EU think it will. The batteries in their current state require a ton of rare metals including cobalt. Even Elok Musk has admitted that one of his main sources for cobalt comes from regimes where forced child labor is a normal everyday reality. They will have to find viable alternatives or else the cost of manufacturing to the masses will skyrocket. I think they will regret this decision one day. We will see.

With a lower demand for fossil fuels, the price of gasoline will continue to drop. Without government intervention, there's no way ICE engines (or Diesel engines for that matter) are going to disappear in our lifetime.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/01/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
I don't see it playing out the way these lawmakers in the EU think it will. The batteries in their current state require a ton of rare metals including cobalt. Even Elok Musk has admitted that one of his main sources for cobalt comes from regimes where forced child labor is a normal everyday reality. They will have to find viable alternatives or else the cost of manufacturing to the masses will skyrocket. I think they will regret this decision one day. We will see.

With a lower demand for fossil fuels, the price of gasoline will continue to drop. Without government intervention, there's no way ICE engines (or Diesel engines for that matter) are going to disappear in our lifetime.

When you ban things for the greater good, that’s when human innovation really steps up.
https://metro.co.uk/2016/04/23/scientists-accidentally-work-out-how-they-could-make-phone-batteries-last-forever-5836772/#ixzz46gaNIvJh

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/01/19 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:

Regret which decision? Trying something different?

PostPosted: 03/01/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Forcing the market by decree is trying something?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/01/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Forcing the market by decree is trying something?

Unless changing regulations and taxation rates is somehow irreversible then yeah, it is trying something. (Something I applaud them for, too. It's an obvious move IMO, and one that we will see elsewhere too. If Europe doesn't push the world then China certainly will)

PostPosted: 03/01/19 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:

This is the most even-handed and cogent thing you have ever said on this web site, and, though I am loathe to admit it, I think you might be right. I think there are likely to be unintended and unexpected consequences to a ban like this.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/23/20 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

This is the most even-handed and cogent thing you have ever said on this web site, and, though I am loathe to admit it, I think you might be right. I think there are likely to be unintended and unexpected consequences to a ban like this.

Consequences have been completely expected so far. Pretty much all car companies, plus a bunch of new startups, seeing the obvious future and investing heavily in it, and technology is continuing to improve rapidly as a result.
California now doing their best to join the party:

California To Ban New Gas-Powered Cars By 2035
Quote:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an executive order Wednesday that will ban the sale of gas and diesel-powered passenger vehicles in the state by 2035, in the most aggressive legislation to fight climate change taken by any state in the U.S.

KEY FACTS
The executive order requires all new passenger vehicles sold in California to be zero-emission, which includes battery-powered electric cars, vehicles that run on hydrogen fuel cells, and plug-in hybrids that still use some gasoline or diesel in addition to electricity.

The decision is likely to face pushback from the Trump administration, who is already battling California in court over the state’s authority to set auto emissions rules that are more strict than current federal standards, though at least four major car manufacturers have agreed to California’s tougher restrictions.

Under the new order, residents would still be able to own gas-powered vehicles, and sell them on the used-car market.

Transportation causes over 40% of the greenhouse gasses emitted in California, more than any other sector—and the state says banning new gas-powered cars and trucks could drop greenhouse gas emissions by 35%.

Similar legislation has been taken up 15 countries, including the U.K., France and Germany.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielcassady/2020/09/23/california-to-ban-new-gas-powered-cars-by-2035/#1fc89e5e29ac

A little disappointing that hybrids escape the ban, but by 2035 they will be mostly irrelevant anyway.

PostPosted: 09/24/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since electric cars do not require multi-speed gearboxes, this is going to be another nail in the coffin for the manual transmission stick-shift.

However, Ford did make an electric Mustang with a six-speed manual gearbox, but I think that's just a one-off to please customers who love driving cars the old-fashioned stick-shift way.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/5/20950148/ford-electric-mustang-manual-prototype-stick-shift-lithium-sema-2019

PostPosted: 01/30/23 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EV update:

Also just saw the news that for the first time, there are 2 EVs among the world's top 10 selling models of car (the Tesla Y and Tesla 3)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: