RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Vandy gets 1st win in Knoxville

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/01/19 11:25 am    ::: Vandy gets 1st win in Knoxville Reply Reply with quote

It was a historic evening in Knoxville. And Vanderbilt celebrated like never before.

The Commodores defeated Tennessee in women's basketball for the first time ever in Knoxville with a 76-69 victory at Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday night.

It was supposed to be a celebration for Tennessee on Senior Night in front of a surprisingly small and uninspired crowd of 7,321.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2019/02/28/live-score-updates-tennessee-lady-vols-vanderbilt-holly-warlick/2986726002/

linkster

PostPosted: 03/01/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't realize that Vandi had never won in TBA. Odd considering the really good teams in the past. Ironic that it's one of their weakest teams that did the deed.

Thinking that Jordan Horston can't wait to get to Knoxville and turn things around for the LV's. Rolling Eyes

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/01/19 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Didn't realize that Vandi had never won in TBA. Odd considering the really good teams in the past. Ironic that it's one of their weakest teams that did the deed.

I remember the Heidi Gillingham, Mara Cunningham, Sheri Sam, etc. when Vanderbilt made the Final Four in 1993 (losing to Texas Tech and Sheryl Swoopes). Jim Foster had a lot of good teams during his tenure in Nasvhille.

But it is shocking that Vanderbilt had never previously defeated the Lady Vols in Knoxville...and even more shocking that this was the Commodore squad that did it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/01/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was appalling...and kudos to Mariella Fasoula, who was the glue that stuck this Vandy squad together.

I watched some of the UT huddles (I'm sick, wrapped up in a quilt and drinking herbal tea at a great rate both last night and today) and I'm convinced of one thing....the person who needs to go is assistant coach Dean Lockwood. He's been on that bench so long he's petrified, and he hasn't learned any new plays in for-freaking-ever. There were a couple of times Holly started to draw up a play, he told her to do something else, she argued with him, he told her to do something else, she finally did what he said, and it flopped. Now I'm not saying that her idea would have necessarily worked any better, but maybe she should go with what she thinks and quit listening to him just because he's been there since Christ was a corporal (as my late ex used to say). After all, *she* was the point guard, and point guards are the ones who see the floor best. Just my $.02

PostPosted: 03/02/19 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For illustration, imo Holly "could shoot someone on 5th Ave", and some folks would blame someone else.

Loyalty is admirable, but sometimes counterproductive.

Personally, I think HW is a poignant personification of The Peter Principle.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/02/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
For illustration, imo Holly "could shoot someone on 5th Ave", and some folks would blame someone else.

Loyalty is admirable, but sometimes counterproductive.

Personally, I think HW is a poignant personification of The Peter Principle.

While I understand why, was it wise to let a person suffering from a mental condition like dementia name her successor. I read on the LV board that Micky DeMoss wouldn't shake hands with Holly at the end of the Vandi game (I believe). The talk was that DeMoss was disgusted with what Holly has done since taking over. Remember, DeMoss resigned as an assistant as soon as Holly got the HC job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: