RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Director of Quality Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 6:46 am    ::: Director of Quality Control Reply Reply with quote

I was looking at the Clemson roster / coaches page and noticed that they have a Director of Quality Control. Is there a limit on coaches that this position is trying to get around? The bio for Jerry DeGregorio says:

Quote:
Jerry DeGregorio joins the Tigers with over 30 years of basketball experience, including stops at the collegiate and professional level.

The Connecticut native spent a majority of the past 15 years in the NBA, most recently serving as an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors from 2011-2014. In the early part of the decade, DeGregorio worked just down the state for the Los Angeles Clippers, occupying the role of Director of Player Development from 2001-2003.

No stranger to the collegiate level, DeGregorio spent four seasons at the University of Rhode Island, first as an assistant coach (1997-1999) then taking on the role of head coach from 1999-2001. The Rams posted back-to-back 20-win seasons in 1997-98 and 1998-99 during his time as an assistant coach.

DeGregorio’s early coaching career included stints at St. Thomas Aquinas High School and College, Mattatuck Community College and Hofstra, the latter being his first-ever coaching job (1985-1988).

A native of New Britain, Connecticut, DeGregorio earned a bachelor’s degree from St. John’s University in New York City.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 02/28/19 9:50 am    ::: Re: Director of Quality Control Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of weird that a program has a Director of Quality Control and a Graduate Manger listed on the same page...

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are all kinds of positions that have been created at various schools that help to get around the coaching limits. You can bet that they are all included in meetings and game prep. They can't do anything during the actual game in terms of "coaching", but they are involved a lot in the program.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Offensive Strategist
Defensive Analyst
Recruiting Consultant
etc, etc.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Until the recent Oregon penalties, I thought the biggest restriction is that only "coaches" can recruit.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the funniest fake titles is for Beth Burns on Louisville's staff, Associate Strength and Conditioning Coach. Where else have you seen a strength and conditioning coach sit in between the AHC and AC and hop up to be the first one to address the HC with advice during a time out?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beth has had the benefit of these positions since SD state decided to fire her Laughing

My favorite is Graduate Manger, which presumably helps with Christian athletes and Christmas festivities.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Director of Player Development
Director of Academic Development

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/28/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
the first one to address the HC with advice during a time out?

That is technically a violation of the NCAA rules governing coaching limits. I know Purdue was contacted about something along those lines several years ago.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/28/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Burns win her lawsuit?

stever

PostPosted: 02/28/19 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Did Burns win her lawsuit?

yep:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-sdsu-basketball-beth-burns-settlement-20180405-story.html

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Beth has had the benefit of these positions since SD state decided to fire her Laughing

My favorite is Graduate Manger, which presumably helps with Christian athletes and Christmas festivities.

“Graduate Manager” seems to have replaced “Graduate Assistant” at Michigan. Currently we have former player Jenny Ryan in that capacity for WBB. We also have Haylie Wagner in that position in softball. Both teams used to have Graduate Assistants previously. Both former players help with practice. Jenny does radio color during games, and Haylie is involved with video.

Last edited by mzonefan on 02/28/19 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/28/19 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

That is technically a violation of the NCAA rules governing coaching limits. I know Purdue was contacted about something along those lines several years ago.

For coaching the coach? Rolling Eyes

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/01/19 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Seriously? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

No. For talking game plans and adjustments. Do you think Furman, Mercer, UC-Davis, Eastern Illinois, Northern Kentucky, Maine, Montana State, etc can afford to have a Dir of Ops, Graduate Asst, Dir of Player Personnel, Asst to the Head Coach, etc positions like the P5 programs? It is a pretty big advantage to be able to employ several add'l sets of eyes to watch the action during a game and relay information to the HC, who can only watch/see so much.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

“Graduate Manager” seems to have replaced “Graduate Assistant” at Michigan. Currently we have former player Jenny Ryan in that capacity for WBB. We also have Haylie Wagner in that position in softball. Both teams used to have Graduate Assistants previously. Both former players help with practice. Jenny does radio color during games, and Haylie is involved with video.

Spoil sport Laughing I prefer "Manger" and Grad Asses would have been even better.

PostPosted: 03/01/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its silly how many of these positions exist with a roster of approx 15 student athletes.. give or take.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/01/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Its silly how many of these positions exist with a roster of approx 15 student athletes.. give or take.

And the teams aren't making money so I don't see how they justify the expense of extra positions, on top of 4 coaches already (1980 Los Angeles Lakers had 2) , to the administration. But the system seems rife with excess. Hopefully, the Director of Basketball Operations is a "Director" for many other sports in the college. Same for the Video Coordinator and Office Administrator.

I was watching an Illinois game this season and I believe I saw all their support personnel [Director of Operations, Director of Player Personnel, Video Coordinator, Graduate Assistant] besides the Office Administrator sitting on the bench between the four coaches and the players. There were so many non-players I had to go to their webpage right away to see who all those people not in uniform were.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/02/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

And the teams aren't making money so I don't see how they justify the expense of extra positions, on top of 4 coaches already (1980 Los Angeles Lakers had 2) , to the administration. But the system seems rife with excess. Hopefully, the Director of Basketball Operations is a "Director" for many other sports in the college. Same for the Video Coordinator and Office Administrator.

I was watching an Illinois game this season and I believe I saw all their support personnel [Director of Operations, Director of Player Personnel, Video Coordinator, Graduate Assistant] besides the Office Administrator sitting on the bench between the four coaches and the players. There were so many non-players I had to go to their webpage right away to see who all those people not in uniform were.

This always bothers me. The players should be sitting next to the coaches, getting pointers from them during the game, not relegated to the far end of the bench to be cheerleaders. All those other titled people can go to the row behind the coaching staff.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/02/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Seriously? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

No. For talking game plans and adjustments. Do you think Furman, Mercer, UC-Davis, Eastern Illinois, Northern Kentucky, Maine, Montana State, etc can afford to have a Dir of Ops, Graduate Asst, Dir of Player Personnel, Asst to the Head Coach, etc positions like the P5 programs? It is a pretty big advantage to be able to employ several add'l sets of eyes to watch the action during a game and relay information to the HC, who can only watch/see so much.

Yes, I was serious. I thought the restriction between coaching and non-coaching positions was only based on the ability to recruit and directly coach the athletes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: