RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 02/28/19 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like out of all the players, Raincock has the best 3pt %. I questioned Stokes re-signing last season, which was apparently a multiyear deal. We'll see what she looks like this season, but odds are she's not worth whatever they're paying her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/28/19 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I like out of all the players, Raincock has the best 3pt %. I questioned Stokes re-signing last season, which was apparently a multiyear deal. We'll see what she looks like this season, but odds are she's not worth whatever they're paying her.

I hated that signing as well seemed panicky esp now with ionescu likely to come out we could have developed Brown or mccowan but I'm not as high on durr as others

PostPosted: 02/28/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Here are the final stats from the EuroLeague Women's regular season for the Liberty players:

Code:

Games Min  Pts   FG Pct 3 Pct  Reb  Ast   TO  Stl  Blk
Vaughn     14  30.8  9.4    52%     -    5.9  1.6  1.8  1.0  0.4   
Hartley    11  27.2 14.8    45%    37%   3.7  3.3  1.5  0.6  0.1   
Stokes     10  19.1  3.5    47%     -    6.9  0.4  1.1  0.9  2.7   
Raincock   14  26.3 10.6    64%    50%   4.6  1.9  1.1  1.1  0.3   
Prince     11  22.2  8.5    45%    41%   2.2  3.3  0.9  1.3  0.0   
Charles     6  33.1 15.8    49%    38%   8.2  1.7  1.0  1.3  0.3   
Zahui      14  28.4 11.6    44%    43%   7.7  0.8  1.7  1.0  1.1   

Those are the numbers. I watched several of the Fenerbahce games (they have Vaughn, Hartley, and Stokes), and here are my personal observations:

Kia Vaughn is playing very well compared to what she gave the Liberty. I always felt that her hook shot and medium range jumper gave her more offensive game than most people gave her credit for, and she's shown it a bit more and is getting the minutes.

Bria Hartley looks great to me. She's playing the same role for Fenerbahce as she did for the Liberty: sometimes at the 1, sometimes at the 2. Her game looks more energetic and under control than I remember from last year. She is making highlight reels with some of her drives, and it all looks very encouraging.

Kiah Stokes continues to be an enigma, and the Fenerbahce coach doesn't seem to have any more of an idea about how to use her than Katie Smith did. She had a two game stretch where she totally dominated (something like 18 points in one and 15 rebounds in the other), but before and after, she was riding the bench and getting limited minutes. She does look a little stronger and qucker than last year, which gives credibility to the idea that she had a bad foot last year. There was one defensive play where she lowered her head and gave a burst of speed to get around a pick in a manner I haven't seen from her in quite a long time. A couple of weeks ago I would have told you that we could expect much better things from Kiah in the coming year. With her slow finish, I'm back to shrugging my shoulders and hoping.

That's it for the Fenerbahce players. They have made the playoffs, so there will be more games to watch (I'm having a lot of fun doing so). While watching, I also got to see two Liberty players opposing Fenerbahce.

Amanda Zahui B plays for Sopron Basket and she had a fantastic game against Fenerbahce: it was very much like her best games of last year. She nailed a bunch of 3 pointers, pulled down rebounds, and really worked well with the team offensively. Defensively, she has trouble guarding people as always, but I think Liberty fans will be very happy if she gives us performances like the one I saw.

Epiphany Prince was pretty much her usual self in the game Fenerbahce played against Dynamo Kursk, but at the end, she stuck two daggers in the hearts of Kia, Kiah, and Bria as she nailed a 3 pointer and sank 2 free throws to seal the game.

Tina Charles, who also plays for Dynamo Kursk, did not play in the game I watched.

That's all I've got. I'll be watching the playoffs and will probably make a post like this afterwards.

I hate to be a killjoy, but some perspective is needed here:

1) Vaughn has always played well overseas. She was the finals MVP like 3 years ago. The performance doesn't seem to translate.

2) Vaughn seems very well liked overseas, which is one reason she gets PT. However, she is also treated as a European. I don't know the rules in Turkey, but it's very helpful in some places. That may partly explain why she plays ahead of Stokes. Hartley also sat out a lot of games early in the season until she was suddenly declared a French national in order to join France for the FIBA World Cup. I don't think she has missed any Fenerbahce games since returning. Stokes was top two in rebounding and block shots in each of the previous two seasons in Turkey. There is no good reason why she isn't playing. As I posted before, what bothers me most is Kiah's willingness to just accept this. A real competitor would have changed teams. The best spin I can put on it is maybe Fenerbahce is paying her so well that Kiah is happy to just take the money and treat it as a paid vacation.

3) Hartley led the Turkish League in scoring for most of last year. I think Vandersloot came in late for a partial season and technically beat her out. The point is Bria has looked good in this league before.

4) Tina Charles left Kursk and is playing in China. She had 35 pts and 12 boards the other day in a playoff loss.

5) Zahui B. has played great overseas for three straight winters now. Again, it doesn't necessarily translate.

toad455 wrote:
I like out of all the players, Raincock has the best 3pt %.

Raincock-Ekunwe's Euroleague 3-pt stats are based on a tiny sample size: 4-8 over 14 games. She is also 9-23 39.1% in 18 games of French League play. That works out to 13-31 41.9% overall, which is nice. However, 13 makes in 32 games is 0.4 per game. That hardly makes Nayo a serious 3-pt threat. Just to put things in perspective, in 2014 Alex Montgomery made more than double that rate at 0.82 3pts per game while officially finishing second in the WNBA in 3pt shooting at 43.1%. Nonetheless, I don't think Alex scared the rest of the league too much.

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I questioned Stokes re-signing last season, which was apparently a multiyear deal. We'll see what she looks like this season, but odds are she's not worth whatever they're paying her.

I hated that signing as well seemed panicky esp now with ionescu likely to come out we could have developed Brown or mccowan but I'm not as high on durr as others

I would still take McCowan and maybe Brown. I doubt Stokes is getting paid so well that you'd have to commit to having her start or play big minutes. Kiah's presence shouldn't affect our #2 pick. On the other hand, I can see how it might affect #14 since you're now dealing with a lower caliber player or someone riskier that Stokes can compete with -- at least in the short run.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I like out of all the players, Raincock has the best 3pt%.

I noticed when I was looking up that Raincock-Ekunwe shot 4-8 for the season from the three that she plays with Marine Johannes. I talked about Johannes in the Lynx thread as someone I’d like Reeve to sign. Whoever can land her is going to get a good player for cheap. She’d be the taller, more deluxe model of Anna Cruz.

toad455 wrote:
I questioned Stokes re-signing last season, which was apparently a multiyear deal. We'll see what she looks like this season, but odds are she's not worth whatever they're paying her.

That’s probably the smartest thing to do if you believe in a player long term. Sign them when they are injured and vulnerable, feeling like nobody would want you. So you sign for cheaper than max. I see Megdal has her making $91K this year, which is about $25K below max.

Hopefully Reeve signed DRob for dirt cheap because she also signed soon after getting a fairly serious injury.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 02/28/19 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as who we draft at #2, I'm still leaning towards Durr. Our guards are Rodgers, Hartley and Nurse. Our posts are Charles, Zahui B and Stokes with Raincock-Ekunwe as our flex 3-4. Even if we sign Prince or Zellous, we should still look at taking Durr and then a post at #14(Mompremier, Shepard, Hof).

NYSports56

PostPosted: 02/28/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally understand and agree that you need to take these EuroLeague results with a grain of salt. I was just listing the stats and reporting what I saw.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/28/19 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I totally understand and agree that you need to take these EuroLeague results with a grain of salt. I was just listing the stats and reporting what I saw.

I appreciate your posting that information and your thoughts.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/28/19 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity

PostPosted: 02/28/19 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winnng team gets to fly back home in business class!

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/01/19 4:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I like out of all the players, Raincock has the best 3pt%.

I noticed when I was looking up that Raincock-Ekunwe shot 4-8 for the season from the three that she plays with Marine Johannes. I talked about Johannes in the Lynx thread as someone I’d like Reeve to sign. Whoever can land her is going to get a good player for cheap. She’d be the taller, more deluxe model of Anna Cruz.

toad455 wrote:

That’s probably the smartest thing to do if you believe in a player long term. Sign them when they are injured and vulnerable, feeling like nobody would want you. So you sign for cheaper than max. I see Megdal has her making $91K this year, which is about $25K below max.

Hopefully Reeve signed DRob for dirt cheap because she also signed soon after getting a fairly serious injury.

Quote:
She’d be the taller, more deluxe model of Anna Cruz.

Cant really compare them that much tbh. Cruz plays a lot more minutes handling the ball even starting at the 1 for Kursk while Johannes is mainly playing as a 2 and plays some minutes at the 3 aswell against smaller teams. Cruz is more a team oriented player setting everyone up while Johannes is a PURE scorer/gunner.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 03/01/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
She’d be the taller, more deluxe model of Anna Cruz.

Cant really compare them that much tbh. Cruz plays a lot more minutes handling the ball even starting at the 1 for Kursk while Johannes is mainly playing as a 2 and plays some minutes at the 3 aswell against smaller teams. Cruz is more a team oriented player setting everyone up while Johannes is a PURE scorer/gunner.

It’s nothing to get hung up on, really. Neither is the PG on their national teams. Spain is a country of PG’s. They are both combo guards that can be used as PG’s on Euroleague teams. Johannes is more likely to score, which is what they like in a PG in the WNBA, just ask Laimbeer.

Cruz is 32 year old. Johannes is 24. The real question is who would you rather have on your WNBA team?

Dynamo Kursk

Tango Bourges

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/01/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depends on the team and the players you already have. For the Storm this year i would take Cruz over Johannes. But for a rebuilding team she can be a solid player for the future. But just like another french young player Epoupa, she needs to learn when to pace her game.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 03/01/19 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Im a long time Liberty Season Ticket Holder and have gone
to Newark and White Plains ...

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I WILL GO TO NASSAU COLISEUM !

(Just in case there is someone from the Liberty that reads this board! )

I am in the same boat as you. Nassau would be maybe a weekend game, brooklyn same thing. For me they are too far. so this being my 20th year may well be my last.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/02/19 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not a driver. Nassau Coliseum would be out of the equation for me as a season ticket holder. I’d do weekends where I could. But a move there would eliminate a lot of people, drivers as well. Those tolls are expensive and it’s still a 40-45 min drive from the Bronx unless there’s extreme traffic. LI is not a basketball hotbed either. Games there will not be well-attended.

I can make Barclays work. Trains on weekends might be a pain if there’s construction but if it means the Libs playing in a big-time facility I’ll figure out a way to make it work.

PostPosted: 03/02/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will have to hope that somehow the Liberty can play at the Barclay Center. I live on the Upper West Side. For me, Madison Square Garden is six stops on the #1 train. Absolutely ideal in terms of location. The Barclay Center is obviously further away but easily reached on the subway.

For the Nassau Coliseum, I'd have to take the subway to Penn Station, then the LIRR, then get somehow from an LIRR station to the arena. Not a pleasant thought, especially the trek back after an evening game. I doubt I'd go at all at night. At best I'd only go to an occasional day game.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/02/19 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though not exact to measure attendance, but the G-League team plays at Nassau and doesn't draw. 2,000 is considered a big crowd. I would tend to think the Liberty would draw as poorly at Nassau as they did in Newark.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 03/03/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Though not exact to measure attendance, but the G-League team plays at Nassau and doesn't draw. 2,000 is considered a big crowd. I would tend to think the Liberty would draw as poorly at Nassau as they did in Newark.

I would think worse than Newark and worse than Westchester !
It would be a major mistake to play Liberty games in Nassau Coliseum

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/03/19 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
I would think worse than Newark and worse than Westchester !It would be a major mistake to play Liberty games in Nassau Coliseum

How could any one of these three options be a major mistake compared to the other two? They're all awful options that will lead to lousy attendance. The difference in likely ticket sale revenue at any one of those options would be chump change to Joe Tsai.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 03/10/19 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fan at Knicks game yells at Dolan “Sell the team” and Dolan kicks him out - Keith Olberman tweets at Dolan that we need to get rid of you cry baby 😂😂

toad455

PostPosted: 03/10/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Fan at Knicks game yells at Dolan “Sell the team” and Dolan kicks him out - Keith Olberman tweets at Dolan that we need to get rid of you cry baby 😂😂

100% It's such a blessing to not have the Liberty owned by Dolan anymore. Now if only he'd sell the Knicks as well.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 03/10/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Porzingis escaped, but I do not understand why any player would want to play for him.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/10/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Porzingis escaped, but I do not understand why any player would want to play for him.

well, look at the team now. They got Deandre Jordan and a bunch of table scraps. I'm surprised Lance Thomas continues to stay with the team. No way Durant, Irving or any big-time free agent joins the Knicks with Dolan at the helm.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/10/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

100% It's such a blessing to not have the Liberty owned by Dolan anymore. Now if only he'd sell the Knicks as well.

Yes on both counts. So many Knicks' fans would agree.

But I'd like to see the stain of Hideous Lord Jimmy and sexual harasser Isiah out of Madison Square Garden altogether. There's a lot of great history at the Garden. It's not Charles Oakley who shouldn't be there; it's not that fan who yelled "Sell the team" who shouldn't be there. It's Dolan and Thomas.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/10/19 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did he ever go through with trying to get Oakley in trouble with the cops?

PostPosted: 03/10/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Did he ever go through with trying to get Oakley in trouble with the cops?

Criminal charges against Oakley have been dismissed. Oakley continues to push a civil suit against Dolan; looks like his chances of getting anywhere aren't good.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22358377/a-year-incident-charles-oakley-wants-hold-james-dolan-msg-accountable-nba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 27 of 91

Jump to: