RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 Academy Award Nominations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 02/24/19 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm SO sorry for glenn close, but i'm SO happy for olivia colman.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 4:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of backstories on Twitter. Spike Lee went off when Green Book won. I haven't seen the films but from what I've heard Black Klansman was a stronger film than Green Book. If that's true, then the idea of Hollywood honoring a movie made by whites about race when Spike made a better movie, the best he's ever made apparently, and it's about race, and, oh yeah, he IS a black man... let's just say I'm not surprised and Hollywood being Hollywood, I'm REAL good with him becoming demonstrative in his displeasure.

I just don't like Glenn Close or her style of acting. My heart was with Yalitza Aparicio. But she had no prior acting experience and her performance really wasn't much of performance at all, in my admittedly harsh but honest opinion. And she was up against such highly trained artists, TRUE artists, that this art form so depends upon. Olivia Colman IS one of those true artists. But I have to tell you, if I could have made it happen, in THIS town, with THIS industry and THESE rich people's history with THESE people, I would have given that statue to Yalitza. That would have meant so much to so many.

Lady Gaga. Any questions?

No mention of #metoo. Hollywood can go back and tell of and celebrate every moment of positive social justice in the history of the world. But from its own midst came two words out into the world that changed the behavior of the entire species and it doesn't warrant even a mention on any of the major awards shows this year? Curious.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Lots of backstories on Twitter. Spike Lee went off when Green Book won. I haven't seen the films but from what I've heard Black Klansman was a stronger film than Green Book.

Was either film stronger than "The Favourite?"

PostPosted: 02/25/19 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hy8z_Tq_VHo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8z_Tq_VHo

PostPosted: 02/25/19 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/25/19 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oscars: Women, People of Color Triumph on Night of Firsts (and Seconds)

Quote:
The 2019 telecast started making history almost immediately. After Regina King accepted best supporting actress for “If Beale Street Could Talk,” Ruth E. Carter became the first African American woman to ever win best costume design, for her work on Marvel’s “Black Panther.”

“I dreamed of this night and I prayed for this night honestly…what it would mean not just for me but for young people coming behind me,” Carter told press backstage at Hollywood’s Dolby Theater. A nod to a new generation of costumers could have been expected, as the first person Carter thanked in her acceptance speech was Spike Lee. The director gave her her start, she said, himself a multiple nominee on Sunday for “BlacKkKlansman.”

Quote:
Mahershala Ali took the best supporting actor Oscar for ”Green Book,” and now sits only with Denzel Washington as a black performer to have won more than one Academy Award. Ali thanked his director Peter Farrelly for “really giving us the space” to work out the complexity of his intersectional character Don Shirley (who was black and queer).

Quote:
Female visibility above and below the line was incredibly strong, with Kate Biscoe and Patricia DeHaney’s makeup and hairstyling win for “Vice” and Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Berton’s best documentary short win for “Period. End of Sentence.”

“I’m not crying because I have my period or anything,” a teary Berton said on stage. “I can’t believe a film about menstruation won an Oscar!”

Indeed, “Period” follows an enduring stigma around menstruation in rural parts of India and how it affects the lives and education of women.

Domee Shi and Becky Neiman-Cobb of Pixar also nabbed an animated short for “Bao,” and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Shannon Dill shared best documentary feature for “Free Solo” with Jimmy Chin and Evan Hayes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/oscars-women-people-of-color-triumph-on-night-of-firsts-and-seconds/ar-BBU2jd4?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 02/25/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lS291Pmbgbo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/lS291Pmbgbo

PostPosted: 02/25/19 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/25/19 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At some point, we’re going to have to talk about injectables. I apologize in advance.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very happy for Ruth E. Carter. She's paid her dues (costume design for Malcolm X, Amistad, etc.).

PostPosted: 02/25/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Lots of backstories on Twitter. Spike Lee went off when Green Book won. I haven't seen the films but from what I've heard Black Klansman was a stronger film than Green Book.

Was either film stronger than "The Favourite?"

no. it should've been "roma" or "the favourite." and imo, "vice" came in third, a very distant third, but still ahead of the two previously mentioned. spike's way overdue, but this wasn't the film. he should've won for "do the right thing," but as he noted, that flick got beat out by another film about someone driving ("miss daisy").

and btw, why are all those other actors saying "finally! so happy for spike lee! he finally got his!"??? no, he didn't. i'm sure "best adapted screenplay" beats a whack on the side of the head, but i'm also pretty sure he wants his due as one of the great directors of all time.

and yes - kudos to ruth carter for finally getting her due. i usually pay attention to the credit roll (yeah, that's me, standing alone most of the time, at the end of the movie), and if others did, they'd see how often her name pops up.

speaking of which, a rant i have: i'm confounded that the very tv networks whose brand is based on motion pictures allow the movie credits to be shrunk and fast-forwarded so no one can appreciate all the people who made those great movies. *shaking my head*

PostPosted: 02/25/19 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/npp6Zbi8i6I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npp6Zbi8i6I

PostPosted: 02/25/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About the In Memoriam. LA Phil was amazing. Full screen shots this time were amazing. But many actors and actresses were left out of that montage while it was loaded with publicists, etc. Just saying.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
About the In Memoriam. LA Phil was amazing. Full screen shots this time were amazing. But many actors and actresses were left out of that montage while it was loaded with publicists, etc. Just saying.

well, the academy prez DID say not everyone could be included, and i think oscar tried admirably to be more diverse, in keeping with this year's mindset. i don't remember seeing so many women and people of color or other nationalities acknowledged before, especially in behind-the-scenes jobs.

my personal heartfelt memory went out to albert finney.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
no. it should've been "roma" or "the favourite." and imo, "vice" came in third, a very distant third, but still ahead of the two previously mentioned. spike's way overdue, but this wasn't the film. he should've won for "do the right thing," but as he noted, that flick got beat out by another film about someone driving ("miss daisy").

Maybe the key is to have Mahershala Ali co-star in your film because Moonlight was an underdog as well. He seems to be a good luck charm.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep. I’m stingy with praise for anything Hollywood but this was no question a better year and showing for women and people of color.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy for Rami. So well deserved.

Adam Lambert and Lady Gaga are just something special vocally.

Want to check out The Favourite and Vice.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JPJjwHAIny4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/26/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who was the real Don Shirley? Family shares dismay at portrayal in 'Green Book'

Quote:
As he accepted the best picture Oscar, "Green Book" director Peter Farrelly said the film that featured Mahershala Ali as Shirley and Viggo Mortensen as Vallenlonga was about “love” at a time when race, class and prejudice divided much of the country.

But there is no love for Vallenlonga from members of the Shirley family, who say they and their potential contributions to the film were shut out.

When Ali won the supporting actor Oscar, Shirley's family was on Skype.

“Everybody was happy for Mahershala Ali and the first words out of his mouth was thank you to Dr. Don Shirley," said Shirley’s niece, Jasmin Shirley.

But jubilation turned to anger when it was announced that the "Green Book" received an Oscar for Best Original Screen Play,” and then Best Picture.

“I was livid. ...There was no recognition of my Uncle Donald or our family,” Jasmin Shirley said. Indeed, director Spike Lee seemed ready to walk out of the Dolby Theatre after the best picture win, and the Twitterati seemed miffed that Hollywood picked a white savior film over "Black Panther" and Spike Lee’s "BlacKkKlansman."

Quote:
But members of Shirley’s family say the depiction of Don Shirley is just not true. For starters, they say Vallenlonga was hired to drive Shirley on a tour of historically black colleges and universities, not a tour of segregated venues across the South. The lens through which the story is framed is another issue.

“The thing that bothers our family is the focus of the film is all about a white man who was an extreme racist who was still a racist at the end,” said Karole Shirley Kimble, daughter of Shirley’s brother Maurice.

“Clearly, our family has a legacy of black excellence and family pride. Our concern is that (this) white director presented one person’s perspective.”

Kimble said had the movie makers asked the family, they would have gotten a more realistic view of Shirley’s tour.

Quote:
“They didn’t (include) my family," Kimble said. "They didn’t listen to the other side of the story. They listened to other whites talk about my uncle.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/who-was-the-real-don-shirley-family-shares-dismay-at-portrayal-in-green-book/ar-BBU4qW9?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 02/26/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is reprehensible but it won best picture. The lesson is there is no moral justice scale at work in Hollywood to provide balance to the wrongs in our world or our politics, with what is supposed to be the ‘good’ side controlled and funded by Hollywood, or the universe, which is cold and indifferent to the presence of humans in it or to our need for a sense of moral justice at work in the course of human events.

So yeah, another movie should have won best picture.

PostPosted: 02/26/19 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spike Lee reacts to Donald Trump calling his Oscar speech 'racist': 'No one's going for that'
Quote:
Though Lee hadn’t mentioned Trump at all, he had wrapped up his acceptance speech with a plea for voters to “be on the right side of history” and “make the moral choice between love versus hate” at the 2020 presidential election — a statement that appears to have caused the president’s reaction.

It’s a reaction Lee found unsurprising. When EW asked the writer-director on Monday morning whether he’d seen the tweet, he nodded, then sighed. “Well, it’s okee-doke, you know,” he said with a shrug. “They change the narrative.”

“They did the same thing with the African-American players who were kneeling, trying to make it into an anti-American thing, an anti-patriotic thing, and an anti-military thing,” he explained. “But no one’s going for that.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/spike-lee-reacts-to-donald-trump-calling-his-oscar-speech-racist-no-ones-going-for-that/ar-BBU4Bx0?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 02/26/19 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outrage After ‘Green Book’ Writer Says He Didn’t Know Don Shirley’s Family ‘Really Existed’

Quote:
After Green Book won the Oscar, its writer, Nick Vallelonga, said he didn’t really realize his father’s friend Don Shirley had a family.

His tone-deaf remarks ensured that a potent well of irritation and anger over the award of the Best Picture to Green Book bubbled over on online forums and social media.

Vallelonga, the screenwriter of the movie, who is the son of the white character portrayed in the film, said he didn’t get in touch with black classical pianist Don Shirley’s family because he, “didn’t even know they really existed until after we were making the film.”

Quote:
Vallelonga said, “He told me, if you’re going to tell the story, tell it from your father, me, don’t speak to anyone else, that’s how you have to make it.”

Vallelonga concluded his remarks by saying, “I kept my word to that man, I wish I could reach out to Don Shirley’s family, I really didn’t know they existed until we finished the film.”

Quote:
The remarks are likely to go down badly with Don Shirley’s nephew Edwin Shirley III, who claims his uncle rejected the idea of a movie about his tour.

“I remember very, very clearly, going back 30 years, my uncle had been approached by Nick Vallelonga, the son of Tony Vallelonga, about a movie on his life, and Uncle Donald told me about it,” Edwin told Shadow and Act in December. “He flatly refused.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/outrage-after-green-book-writer-says-he-didnt-know-don-shirleys-family-really-existed/ar-BBU2Se3?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: 02/26/19 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those guys. If you lived in LA and saw after party interviews with them it would have turned your stomach. I’m just going to be blunt. Slobs. Intellectually speaking. What a Green Book even is. No matter how sensitive the not-black people behind the film were or would have been, that would be and is still territory to avoid. Not our story to tell. But they really and truly weren’t the sensitive types.

PostPosted: 02/26/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: