RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mo Currie retires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/25/19 11:15 am    ::: Mo Currie retires Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuT5b2qg_aA/

Quote:
I’m officially retired from the WNBA and will be moving to Portland to work at NIKE’s headquarters!

PostPosted: 02/25/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her. What a career and great contributor to the game. I'm hoping Voepel gives us a worthy tribute to Currie's great (and LONG) career in the WNBA.

Of course, she had an amazing career at Duke also at a time when that program was a perennial contender - and is a major reason why it was.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/25/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats for her. I thought she might be back for another season but this sounds like a good opportunity for her to get life after basketball started.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/25/19 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Similarity scores suggest the most similar player to Currie, numberwise, is Vickie Johnson.

That's not a comparison likely to come up normally, since Currie spent the last several years of her career as the answer to the trivia question "Who has played the most career games without reaching the finals" (She finally made it in her last season) while Johnson was the first player ever to play in five finals.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Currie is quite a player. She started as a very good player, then spent time as a pretty good one, a decent one, and good role player. It isn't easy for players to shift like that work well in those different roles on teams. I am very impressed with the way she adjusted in her career. Quite the role model.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/25/19 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her work on Baskeball 24/7 as well as speaking out on issues at times was commendable as well.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/25/19 1:20 pm    ::: Re: Mo Currie retires Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
I’m officially retired from the WNBA and will be moving to Portland to work at NIKE’s headquarters!

Ugh this just made my duckets get a little wet . Im going to miss Moe and the way she played the game . Consummate pro ! I will never forget watching her senior year game against Miami when she dropped 42 for the Dukies ! Congrats and thank you Monique !

PostPosted: 02/25/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mo was a god-send the year Taurasi took off in Phoenix. We had a much better year than we would have without her. I have always been impressed with her game. I remember watching Duke with Beard and Currie playing. Much of the hype went to Beard but I felt that Currie was the more well rounded and smarter player.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/25/19 2:57 pm    ::: Re: Mo Currie retires Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

And with that, the last ex-Charlotte Sting player has finally retired. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 02/25/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never a star but a good, solid player for a very long time. Takes a whole bunch of talent to last 13 years in this league, averaging double digits for the majority of it. Shame to see her go, but it was probably time.

These are the sorts of players I worry about losing if a bigger portion of the total cash going to the players goes to the stars. That mid-level 3rd-to-6th-best player on a team kind of player who's often overpaid in the current system, but might decide they have better things to do in the summer if you slash their wages to give the superstars more. The overall level of play could drop more than we think if you lose the solid supporting cast players that surround the stars.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Similarity scores suggest the most similar player to Currie, numberwise, is Vickie Johnson.

That's not a comparison likely to come up normally, since Currie spent the last several years of her career as the answer to the trivia question "Who has played the most career games without reaching the finals" (She finally made it in her last season) while Johnson was the first player ever to play in five finals.

Drafted third overall by the Charlotte Sting back in 2006, the Duke Blue Devil went on to average 10.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 1.8 assists in 411 games.

While Currie's scoring waned in recent years, her performances for Phoenix in 2017 and Washington in 2018 were critical to the respective success of each team.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/players/c/currimo01w.html

Side note...tried to pull up multiple team pages and Currie's bio on WNBA.com, using both Firefox and IE. Nothing worked.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/25/19 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Currie will forever be known as one of the Mystics’ all-time greats. She only made one All-Star Game appearance in 2010 when it was an All-Star vs. Team USA format before the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Championships that year. Currie was also a member of each of the Mystics’ best two teams. In 2010, the Mystics had their first 20-win regular season and finished first place in the Eastern Conference after a six-game win streak to close out the year. She was also on the 2018 team that made the WNBA Finals for the first time.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/mystics/2019/2/25/18240157/washington-mystics-monique-currie-wnba-retirement

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/25/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A good player but a better (and intelligent) person. All the best to her.

PostPosted: 02/25/19 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best of luck in all you do Mo!!!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/27/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA's Currie retires, starts new career at Nike
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)

WNBA veteran Monique Currie retired Monday after 13 seasons in the league. Currie says she is taking her talents to Nike, where she will be a product line manager for the company's sportswear, Fuelband and footwear.

Quote:
"Basically, it's the person between the consumer and Nike in figuring out what people like and don't like," Currie said. "What we should come out with next, how our products are doing.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/26086469/wnba-currie-retires-starts-new-career-nike

SDHoops

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good riddance! After she fat shamed other players and was a diva on Twitter at times, she gets no farewell from me! Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/19 3:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As (unofficial) President of the Mo Currie fan club, this is a sad day. Great for Mo, however. I became an instant fan the first time I saw her play. Her body control frosh year at Duke was among the best I've ever seen. Her first ACL, less than one minute into soph season set her back a whole heckuva lot. She never fully regained her form of frosh season.

Her second ACL midway through her WNBA season set her back yet again. Mo remade herself as a tough defender, three point shooter and extra playmaker on the floor. Known for her scowl, she could flip that into a big shit eating grin in a flash.

And I'll never forget cheering at the bus as they loaded up for the FF in Boston,that Mo took my little leopard Zelda with her since I couldn't go due to recent breast cancer surgery. And she brought Zelda back to me upon her return. May you run with the Goddess, Monique!

~rAf
zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/02/19 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Good riddance! After she fat shamed other players and was a diva on Twitter at times, she gets no farewell from me! Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: