RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Player of the Year
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the POY this season?
Sabrina Ionescu
30%
 30%  [ 26 ]
Alanna Smith
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Teaira McCowan
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Napheesa Collier
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Arike Ogunbowale
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Megan Gustafson
34%
 34%  [ 30 ]
Asia Durr
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Kalani Brown
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 86

bballnut901

PostPosted: 02/20/19 2:35 pm    ::: Player of the Year Reply Reply with quote

Once again lots of players are having standout season for their respective programs. Wanted to see who people think is the deserving POY at this point in time. Please vote on who you think is the correct choice for POY, not necessarily who you think will win it. My vote right now would be Sabrina Ionescu.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/20/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tough to leave off Kristine Anigwe. I know the team isn't performing but she has been outstanding, leading the country in rebounds and 7th in scoring.

Last edited by calbearman76 on 02/21/19 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/19 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Tough to leave off Kristine Anigwe. I know the team isn't performing but she has been outstanding, leading the country in renounds and 7th in scoring.

Just curious. What would be your case for selecting her over Gustafson?

My rooting interest says Jessica Shepard has been outstanding too, but she doesn't deserve national POY over Gustafson.

I'm not sure why some of these names are included as choices.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 02/20/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah yes, WCBB! Where we want equality in the world, but are ignorant when it comes to African American players and the actual good teams like UConn and ND. I mean I've always said...what if Sabrina and Megan were.. black? (Not those players specifically)

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/21/19 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Ah yes, WCBB! Where we want equality in the world, but are ignorant when it comes to African American players and the actual good teams like UConn and ND. I mean I've always said...what if Sabrina and Megan were.. black? (Not those players specifically)

If that were true their fathers would have some serious questions for their moms.

PostPosted: 02/21/19 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

What?

If we look at the AP Women's Player of the Year, A'ja Wilson won last year. She isn't white. Year before was Kelsey Plum (unanimous among all Player of the Year awards), which was after a 3-year run of Breanna Stewart (can anyone really argue against that?). However, here is the 10-year run from 2004-2013:

2004 - Alana Beard
2005 - Seimone Augustus
2006 - Augustus
2007 - Candace Parker
2008 - Parker
2009 - Maya Moore
2010 - Tina Charles
2011 - Moore
2012 - Brittney Griner
2013 - Griner

Bet you can't guess what all those players have in common, besides being phenomenal athletes and strong women.

Most all of the Player of the Year awards followed suit with the exceptions of Chiney Ogwumike (Wooden in 2014) and Lindsay Harding (Naismith in 2007).

If I am missing your point, my apologies.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/21/19 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

If I am missing your point, my apologies.

I suspect the point is that someone wants Collier to win and is mad that Gustafson and Ionescu are leading the poll responses.

You're letting yourself get confused by the facts.

As an aside, I'm a huge Ogunbowale fan, but I voted for Gustafson. I think she's more deserving. Sometimes it's just easier to win individual awards when you're the entire show on your team rather than dividing the performance among several stars. If Arike was the only star at school like Iowa, she might have had a more individually standout year (or if she had a coach who made an obvious effort to pad her stats, like someone else on the list).

It would be nice if we could have polls like this and actually get honest answers about who deserved to win the award rather than knee jerk popularity contest votes for "the player on my favorite team" or from my favorite conference or region. I'd love to read the explanation for why Alanna Smith, for example, "is the deserving POY at this point in time" over everyone else listed.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/21/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMAO paint everyone with a broad brush when you are actually projecting.

I voted for Gustafson, I am clearly a Stanford fan. Here is why, she has put up some gaudy numbers and she doesn't have a great supporting cast and she has done it for a couple years now.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even when they rip others for some of the same things they do, padding stats is relative like leaving your players in with a couple of minutes to go when you are up by 30, hmmm there are few that come to mind on this one. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/21/19 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also voted for Gustafson.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Games through 2/17/19

Gustafson is the country’s leading scorer for two successive years
This year 27.4 ppg
Dillard 2nd at 25.2 ppg
Ionescu is 27th at 19.7 ppg

Gustafson is 4th in the country in RPG at 13.1
Anigwe leads at 15.7

Gustafson is first in the country in FG% at 70.2
Hebard is 2nd at 69.8

Gustafson is 2nd in double doubles with 24 out of 26 games
Anigwe leads with 25 out of 25 games
McCowan 3rd with 21 out of 25 games

————

Ionescu is first in country in triple doubles at 6
Chastadie Barr is 2nd with 5

Ionescu is 2nd in country in assists at 205
Mangakahia leads with 208

Ionescu is 9th in country at ATO at 3.31
Jazzmun Holmes leads country at 4.40

Ionescu is 5th in country in 3P% at 46.7
Mabrey is 6th at 46.6
Sabally is 7th at 46.6

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/21/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
padding stats is relative like leaving your players in with a couple of minutes to go when you are up by 30, hmmm there are few that come to mind on this one. Laughing Laughing

Hmmmm. Ogunbowale's last point was with over 8 minutes remaining and ND leading by 19. But don't let facts or reality get in the way of a silly rant.

Guess Muffett isn't very good at padding. She should probably read Graves' book "Ensuring Triple Doubles For Your Star Player In 5 Easy Lessons."

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/21/19 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even when they rip others for some of the same things they do, padding stats is relative like leaving your players in with a couple of minutes to go when you are up by 30, hmmm there are few that come to mind on this one. Laughing Laughing

both Oregon and UConn come to my mind first. Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/21/19 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Tough to leave off Kristine Anigwe. I know the team isn't performing but she has been outstanding, leading the country in renounds and 7th in scoring.

Just curious. What would be your case for selecting her over Gustafson?

My rooting interest says Jessica Shepard has been outstanding too, but she doesn't deserve national POY over Gustafson.

I'm not sure why some of these names are included as choices.

I believe the case for Anigwe is very similar to the case for Gustafson. Anigwe has less support on her team and plays in a much tougher conference, but if I were forced to pick between just those two I would choose Gustafson this year.. My point was not that Anigwe deserved the award, but that of the 8 players listed I would put her ahead of at least half of them. The voting seems appropriate, split equally among Gustafson and Ionescu, and I suspect each will win at least one of the Player of the Year awards.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/22/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Selective memory always helps those who think that they post 1 game as an example but they forget that a lot of us watch a lot of games Wink

PostPosted: 03/09/19 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lets get back to this as it really is just a 1 horse race.

Gustafson, Gustafson, Gustafson

A good post should be high 65+% in FG any post low or in 50s should not be in consideration as any good guard would be better shooting the ball than a post with those %s. Rebounding is not a defining catagory for a post if your shooting % is as above as if you are missing you are padding your own stats.

The only player who has a 70% FG and rebounds at a clip of 10.7 is Megan Gustafson and clearly with her FG % half of them are not coming from her own misses. She also shoots free throws at 79.7%. No other post is close.

The other reason it should be Gustafson is due to the fact that she does not have the supporting cast that the other players have, she has no running mate/mates in the high end of college basketball and she definitely doesn't have another player on their team who themselves is an all american or could have possibly been a contender.

Take that suckers.

PostPosted: 03/09/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gustafson.

She dominates in so many statistical categories. In addition to being #1 in PPG and FG% and #3 in RPG, just look at her Secretariat-level lead in efficiency:

1. Gustafson 26.3
2. Collier 20.4
5. McCowan 19.2
6. Anigwe 19.0
8. Dillard 18.4
9. Ionescu 18.3
15. KLS 16.4
19. Ogunbowale 16.1
22. Smith 16.0
25. Shepard 15.7
31. Young 15.5
32. Durr 15.3
53. Brown 14.0
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/09/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couldn't care less about that other stuff, as for example Ogunnerbrawler plays with 4 other players who could go in the draft so....

PostPosted: 03/09/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's be real here..Collier is the literal POTY! Ionescu couldn't hold a candle to UConn when she played against them a few years ago...Phees has been putting up numbers since her sophomore year!! #1 most of those years and still among the top this season~!! Hell yeah.. Gustafson isn't even relevant to these two..

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/09/19 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Let's be real here..Collier is the literal POTY! Ionescu couldn't hold a candle to UConn when she played against them a few years ago...Phees has been putting up numbers since her sophomore year!! #1 most of those years and still among the top this season~!! Hell yeah.. Gustafson isn't even relevant to these two..

What part of PLAYER of the YEAR don't you understand. The award is about this season only and the underperforming team out of Storrs, including Collier, have not had standout years. And Megan Gustafson has been spectacular. I would still give a slight nod to Ionescu but for anyone to think that the best player this season comes from a team that won exactly two games over top 25 teams even though it supposedly had 2 of the top 10 players coming into the season is myopic .. In their 4 toughest road games (against Notre Dame, Cal, Baylor and Louisville)Collier averaged 17 points. She did play well against South Carolina, but most of her stats were built up against teams like Temple, East Carolina and Wichita St.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/09/19 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

What part of PLAYER of the YEAR don't you understand. The award is about this season only and the underperforming team out of Storrs, including Collier, have not had standout years. And Megan Gustafson has been spectacular. I would still give a slight nod to Ionescu but for anyone to think that the best player this season comes from a team that won exactly two games over top 25 teams even though it supposedly had 2 of the top 10 players coming into the season is myopic .. In their 4 toughest road games (against Notre Dame, Cal, Baylor and Louisville)Collier averaged 17 points. She did play well against South Carolina, but most of her stats were built up against teams like Temple, East Carolina and Wichita St.

Being ranked #2 in the country and being the Conference POTY is underperforming to you? Need I remind you that the Huskies lost three WNBA first round draft picks that all were impact rookies this past year. Oh my, they didn't go undefeated!! Even then, UConn Huskies weren't considered because they were too balanced 😏🤪 lay off of the excuses! Gustafson will not win, I watched a few of her games and she was not impressive! Her stats will built in the weak Big 10! Give it to Ionescu if anyone!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/09/19 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Being ranked #2 in the country and being the Conference POTY is underperforming to you? Need I remind you that the Huskies lost three WNBA first round draft picks that all were impact rookies this past year. Oh my, they didn't go undefeated!! Even then, UConn Huskies weren't considered because they were too balanced 😏🤪 lay off of the excuses! Gustafson will not win, I watched a few of her games and she was not impressive! Her stats will built in the weak Big 10! Give it to Ionescu if anyone!

You did not just compare the weak Big Ten to the abssymaly weak AAC did you?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/19 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Need I remind you that the Huskies lost three WNBA first round draft picks that all were impact rookies this past year.

You need to be reminded again that the award is about this year. If you want to talk about previous years, let’s talk about how Gustafson was also the nation’s leading scorer last year, so this would be two successive years that she’s the nation’s leading scorer. Last year it was ignored because Wilson owned everything. This year, ignoring it would be a bit outrageous.

SDHoops wrote:
Gustafson will not win, I watched a few of her games and she was not impressive! Her stats will built in the weak Big 10! Give it to Ionescu if anyone!

You’re calling the Big Ten weak compared to the AAC? The reality is Iowa’s SOS is 16 to UConn’s 38.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/09/19 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/09/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YES. UConn has only lost more than 1 regular season game twice in the previous 11 seasons. This year they had an especially easy schedule because USF fell off with injuries. They played 3 tough games, beating Notre Dame and losing to both Baylor and Louisville. Their next best win was to South Carolina, a team that went 2-8 against the top 25. When you set the bar where UConn has this is most definitely a down year.

As for winning the AAC conference player of the year, that is akin to saying she was the MVP of UCONN. To show how much that is true, three of the players on the first team AAC are named Davis, Thomas and Wright. I'd wager that not 1 in 10 people on this website could correctly get their first names and team without looking it up. I know I couldn't.

Collier is a very good player but this was not a great year for either her or the Huskies, and that will be true even if they wi the national championship. And for the record, POTY does not include the NCAA tournament.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 03/10/19 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even I agree with some of these comments. Unfortunately I have to admit especially when you see a team like ECU completely ignore her and play their own stupid over plying defense basketball giving up lay up after lay up, I wonder do they have a coach. And then how she struggled against USF. There are a couple of coaches who I like but it is much easier for her than Gustafson when she is playing with Crystal and KLS. I wasn’t a believer of Gustafson until recently when I watched more closely and she does not have the support these other players have. If Gustafson was out, there would be no Iowa, we could plug in ONO and still get 17 rebs, if we have Crystal and KLS at full strength.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/10/19 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
YES. UConn has only lost more than 1 regular season game twice in the previous 11 seasons. This year they had an especially easy schedule because USF fell off with injuries. They played 3 tough games, beating Notre Dame and losing to both Baylor and Louisville. Their next best win was to South Carolina, a team that went 2-8 against the top 25. When you set the bar where UConn has this is most definitely a down year.

As for winning the AAC conference player of the year, that is akin to saying she was the MVP of UCONN. To show how much that is true, three of the players on the first team AAC are named Davis, Thomas and Wright. I'd wager that not 1 in 10 people on this website could correctly get their first names and team without looking it up. I know I couldn't.

Collier is a very good player but this was not a great year for either her or the Huskies, and that will be true even if they wi the national championship. And for the record, POTY does not include the NCAA tournament.

Even putting their league aside, my points on why Gustafson are far superior to rose colored glasses who plays with 2 studs and gets lay ups because of them. Not even in the top IMO as you would consider Ionescu next. As Cal said this is what has been put on the board this year, has nothing to do with next level of past level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: