RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CNN: Jussie Smollett PAID Two Brothers to STAGE The Assault
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/17/19 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Whelp. Didn't really want to do this and certainly not this soon, but I think we're going to have a reckoning here...

While I stand by my position on belief of victims being essential, and that social acceptance and support of them is key to their eventual physical, emotional, and mental recovery, and I don't think we are going to ever see eye to eye on the role of cynicism in these sorts of cases, I do concede that you make a very good point about the assumptions.

Looking back it seems like support for the victim bled over into making assumptions that we had no way of verifying based upon the information available. I was being hypocritical as I accused others of filling in narrative holes with the worst possible outcome while filling them in myself with my own chosen narrative, instead of taking my own advice and just waiting for the police to release their findings. That was wrong of me.

Oh now I remember you. Wink

PostPosted: 02/18/19 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
i HATE that he did this... it’s fueling yt americas hate for us

Fueling White Americas' hate for black people? I must have been asleep when I got my marching orders from White America Rolling Eyes

Racism comes from every direction. If people choose to be racist, this incident did nothing to change that. I hope you realize how inherently racist that comment sounds in itself. You just placed an entire race of people in one basket regardless of who they are, or whether or not they think for themselves. Many of us are in interracial marriages or relationships.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/18/19 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(Trol)lololol. Not one single racist is going to get remotely "energised" by this incident right?
Never once has a false alarm had any type of negative consequences.
U so funny.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/opinion/jussie-smollett-attack.html

Quote:
This case is an object lesson in what happens when people in positions of political and cultural authority abandon critical thinking and pressure those who don’t abandon their circumspection under pain of being smeared as bigots. It also exemplifies the tendency of those arbiters to amplify “perfect crimes” that advance their political agenda — and to ignore crimes that don’t.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/19/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
(Trol)lololol. Not one single racist is going to get remotely "energised" by this incident right?
Never once has a false alarm had any type of negative consequences.
U so funny.

Except I never said that.

I stand by what I said. Jussie Smollett doesn't represent black people. His actions changed nothing. Either you see him as a foolish individual or you see him as the new face of a race you already didn't like. No opinions were changed. This idiot isn't that important.

That being said, I hope he didn't damage his sister's career as well.

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/19/19 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jussie Smollett's siblings blame media

Quote:
(CNN)As questions mount over Jussie Smollett's report to police last month that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack, two of the actor's siblings have taken aim at the media.

Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Jocqui Smollett posted a quote attributed to Malcolm X on Instagram.

"I have a feeling even if we had video of Jussie (Smollett) being attacked...y'all would still discredit him," the tweet read. "Because it's easier to believe what aligns with your contempt for survivors of hate crimes, sexual abuse, etc who happen to be LGBTQ+, disabled, or women."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/entertainment/jurnee-smollett-bell-jussie/index.html

PostPosted: 02/19/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/19/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a shame that Jurnee is choosing to die on this hill with him.

So now it's out there that "someone" sent him a letter (addressed to the set of Empire but to him) with white powder which was determined to be aspirin after HAZMAT arrived on the scene. Wonder who THAT could have been? It would appear that this "attack" was staged because the letter (that he undoubtedly made himself) didn't generate the kind of outrage he was hoping for:

[Photo deleted by Luuuc. Please limit photos to < 10000000 pixels in size]

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regardless of the outcome from this investigation, racial minorities and the LGBT community are still faced with discrimination at an alarming rate. Those who are both gay/bi/trans/ AND a person of color (like myself) are more likely to experience both. Hate crimes are under reported and the mixed reaction to this will discourage people from stepping forward and reporting.

That's a reality that shouldn't be minimized but will thanks in part to Jussie.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jussie Smollett Sees ‘Empire’ Screen Time Slashed As Questions Mount

Quote:
Producers on the show are apparently circling the wagons following CBS’s bombshell report that Smollett allegedly paid two brothers $3,500 to stage the assault. The men claimed the actor told them to buy the rope and that he paid for it, the report said. Smollett and the brothers even rehearsed the incident, they allegedly told police.

Production sources now tell TMZ that Smollett, who was supposed to have nine scenes and a big musical number in the penultimate episode of Empire, has seen five of his scenes cut and the song excised completely in furious rewrites.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jussie-smollett-sees-empire-screen-time-slashed-as-questions-mount/ar-BBTNgou?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s destructive to the plight and realities of people across all spectrums of color and sexual orientations that aren’t straight and white. It’s a seismic event in racial suspicions and negative feelings between the races. Any and all races. And much more. There is the issues of what happened here, which was wholly representative of what was happening everywhere else people were talking about this and that is the situation where people who had their doubts about this actor’s story were labeled as everything from insensitive to being flat out racists. That is going to leave a mark.

And, as I already said, there’s what’s to come. This story is far from over. From what I can see, the CPD, in terms of how they are releasing information etc, is engaged in sort of a drip drip water torture. I would say they are about as pissed off and vengeful as any police force has been in a long time. They’re going to drag this out and make the dude’s life a living hell for as long as they can.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="722" height="406" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FDisPeHIOQ0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDisPeHIOQ0

PostPosted: 02/19/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming anonymous police sources are correct, he needs to come clean immediately and be as apologetic as possible. His high profile lawyer is said to have dropped out after not agreeing with the statement that was issued where he denies any agreement with the two brothers and maintains his innocence. With all the data and pictures they collect these days, I don't think fighting this to where they have to get a grand jury does him any good. It would be more than a "their word against mine" trial. Unless threatening to force a trial gives him a chance to get a lesser sentence by agreeing to plead guilty.

The websites that try and estimate celebrity net worth have him pegged as worth $1 million. Significant for someone, but that isn't enough to survive for the rest of his life if his acting and music career ends here.

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/19/19 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feds investigating whether Jussie Smollett played a role in sending threatening letter sent to 'Empire' studios addressed to him

Quote:
The FBI and the US Postal Inspection Service are currently investigating whether Jussie Smollett played a role in sending a threatening letter addressed to him at "Empire’s" Chicago studio prior to the alleged attack, two federal officials confirm to ABC News.

https://abcnews.go.com/culture/story/feds-investigating-jussie-smollett-played-role-sending-threatening-61161589?cid=social_twitter_abcn

PostPosted: 02/19/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a claim somewhere that Smollett first only planned the letter and then when it failed to get any significant publicity, came up with the attack.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/19/19 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh I figured the letter would bring the feds. I hate to say this, but this dude should be watched very closely if he has family or anybody that cares about him. He’s in a very dark place right now.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Testimony in Jussie Smollett case scrapped after "Hail Mary" phone call
Quote:
CBS News has learned that a last-minute phone call may have saved "Empire" star Jussie Smollett from potentially being indicted. Last month, the actor claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack as he walked home in the middle of the night. Two brothers have now told Chicago police Smollett paid them to stage the assault.

A source close to the investigation tells CBS News the brothers were set to appear in front of a grand jury Tuesday. But CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reports those plans were abruptly scrapped after a "Hail Mary" call from Smollett's defense team.

CBS News has learned that Nigerian brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo were waiting outside the grand jury chambers, just minutes from testifying, when prosecutors got the call from Smollett's lawyers.

It's unclear what the defense said, but the Cook County state's attorney decided to postpone the brothers' testimony, which would have been the first step toward indicting the 36-year-old actor for filing a false police report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/testimony-in-jussie-smollett-case-scrapped-after-hail-mary-phone-call/ar-BBTQNmh?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 02/20/19 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett has been "officially classified" as a suspect in a criminal investigation for allegedly filling a false police report, according to a tweet from Chicago police communications Officer Anthony Guglielmi.

The tweet goes on to say this is a Class 4 felony and detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County grand jury.

Quote:
In a statement, 20th Century Fox Television, which produces the series "Empire" on which Smollett appears, and Fox Entertainment expressed support for the actor Wednesday.

"Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show," the statement said.

Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation have told CNN that police believe Smollett paid two brothers to orchestrate an assault on him.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/entertainment/jussie-smollett-attack/index.html

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/20/19 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He should just confess quickly and take his slap on the wrists.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/20/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
He should just confess quickly and take his slap on the wrists.

The problem for him isn't the law. He can probably plea to no jail time and just probation. The problem is that he just shot his career in the foot. So many of his coworkers/friends put themselves out there for him that they are going to feel personally betrayed. That is going to be hard to overcome.

PostPosted: 02/21/19 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I think he has many problems and the impending criminal charges would be first and foremost in the challenges that are facing him going forward. They're going to throw the book at him. And if he sent a letter to himself with a white substance and falsely reported it to authorities as having come from an anonymous threatening source he should faces federal charges having to do with the mail which are something on another level entirely. I'm not sure that he wouldn't have tripped some domestic terrorism legal wires. Many many new and obscure things have been written into all of that since 9/11.

PostPosted: 02/21/19 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Well, I think he has many problems and the impending criminal charges would be first and foremost in the challenges that are facing him going forward. They're going to throw the book at him. And if he sent a letter to himself with a white substance and falsely reported it to authorities as having come from an anonymous threatening source he should faces federal charges having to do with the mail which are something on another level entirely. I'm not sure that he wouldn't have tripped some domestic terrorism legal wires. Many many new and obscure things have been written into all of that since 9/11.

Yeah, the mail thing is probably much more likely to have him facing serious jail time.

Filing a false police report is a class 4 felony, which is 1-3 years in prison at max. Which means he will plea to less. If they want to make a statement, I would guess somewhere in the 90-180 days in lockup range? Though since it is his first offense and it is non-violent, I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois has some sort of pre-trial diversion program that he would qualify for that would allow him to avoid jail time altogether.

Sending something like that through the mail could potentially be considered wire fraud on top of all the other issues, so if hard evidence comes out of that being him as well that could be what really has him facing a lengthy sentence.

PostPosted: 02/21/19 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just not even looking at actual chargeable offenses and penalties, I was thinking a 3 year sentence with him serving somewhere around 8-9 months. We'll see. But on the federal charges... I'm just going to throw this out there... I could easily see him getting a five year sentence and that might be the plea deal. 7-10 wouldn't surprise me. But neither would 3 years. I'm just not sure about early release on federal charges. Is that a thing?

PostPosted: 02/21/19 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Just not even looking at actual chargeable offenses and penalties, I was thinking a 3 year sentence with him serving somewhere around 8-9 months. We'll see. But on the federal charges... I'm just going to throw this out there... I could easily see him getting a five year sentence and that might be the plea deal. 7-10 wouldn't surprise me. But neither would 3 years. I'm just not sure about early release on federal charges. Is that a thing?

Well, with the state charge we know for a fact what he is being charged with, as they announced it: filing a false police report. In Illinois that is a class 4 felony which is a max 1-3 year sentence. For someone with no criminal history at all, it would be super rare to see a max sentence on a non-violent class 4. Typically, this type of charge would lead to a misdemeanor plea resulting in probation. But because of the elaborate nature of how this was staged, including bringing in other parties, I would expect them to keep it a felony and actually push for some jail time. But losing at trial on this charge would likely get about a year or so, so a plea bargain would have to be less to make it worth while. That's why I figured somewhere in the 90 day range with probably another year or so year suspended. And I would guess included would be a demand for restitution of the money spent by the department on his case, and that amount will not be insignificant.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: