2019 Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sparks sign Alina Iagupova.

She plays overseas with Chelsea Gray.

When will the Sparks sign Liudmyla Naumenko?
lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Sparks sign Alina Iagupova.

She plays overseas with Chelsea Gray.

When will the Sparks sign Liudmyla Naumenko?

I’m assuming Penny is looking to draft her in the 3rd Round this year! Wink Razz

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/21/19 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iggy is a great pickup for the sparks. I remember recommending someone give her a shot last season while she played with Diamond Deshields for Cukurova. Not sure if she can beat out the talents in training camp but shes more than good enough!

PostPosted: 02/21/19 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Iggy is a great pickup for the sparks. I remember recommending someone give her a shot last season while she played with Diamond Deshields for Cukurova. Not sure if she can beat out the talents in training camp but shes more than good enough!

There’s no way she can beat out Samuelson?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/21/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any potential draftee who watched Zion Williamson go down last night -- luckily the injury doesn't appear serious -- should think carefully about staying in college another year. Even a guy like Williamson could lose millions of dollars because of an unfortunately timed injury.

PostPosted: 02/21/19 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Any potential draftee who watched Zion Williamson go down last night -- luckily the injury doesn't appear serious -- should think carefully about staying in college another year. Even a guy like Williamson could lose millions of dollars because of an unfortunately timed injury.

That is exactly the same thing I was thinking last night. Who knows what Williamson will do, but if I was him I would never set foot in a college game again.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/21/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

That is exactly the same thing I was thinking last night. Who knows what Williamson will do, but if I was him I would never set foot in a college game again.

He could blow out his knee by simply walking to class, or anywhere really. Freak accidents just happen, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him sit out the rest of the season.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/21/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never quite seen a shoe disband like that, either.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/21/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

He could blow out his knee by simply walking to class, or anywhere really. Freak accidents just happen, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him sit out the rest of the season.

All the more reason to leave college and go the NBA. NBA players don't walk anywhere....except on the basketball court.
Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 02/21/19 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx sign Jillian Alleyne

PostPosted: 02/21/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The likelihood of one is quite a bit higher than the other, don't you think?

toad455

PostPosted: 02/21/19 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces sign Alex Harden.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 02/21/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aces sign Alex Harden.

Looks like Aces training camp it going to be a pretty tough fight for spots on the team.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/21/19 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This just in. Nike taking harsh steps to correct the problem.

https://sports.theonion.com/nike-fires-8-year-old-shoemaker-responsible-for-zion-wi-1832801206

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/21/19 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How likely was he to burst out of a shoe? Again, freak accidents happen regardless.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/22/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freak accidents that impact future basketball earnings are much, much more likely to occur in an athletic situation than out walking your dog.

Any player who is concerned about future earnings, and who has the option to receive a salary more commensurate with her skills than is paid in college, should seriously consider going "pro" as soon as she is eligible.

PostPosted: 02/22/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Freak accidents that impact future basketball earnings are much, much more likely to occur in an athletic situation than out walking your dog.

Any player who is concerned about future earnings, and who has the option to receive a salary more commensurate with her skills than is paid in college, should seriously consider going "pro" as soon as she is eligible.

Then maybe players should quit going to college altogether, and play overseas.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/22/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Then maybe players should quit going to college altogether, and play overseas.

Or lower the draft age to 18, as the NBA has now proposed

PostPosted: 02/22/19 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA officially proposes lowering draft age from 19 to 18

Quote:
At the July NBA owners’ meeting, Silver told reporters: “My personal view is that we’re ready to make that change. … When I’ve weighed the pros and cons, given that Condoleezza Rice and her Commission (On College Basketball) has recommended to the NBA that those one-and-done players now come directly into the league, and in essence, the college community is saying we do not want those players anymore. That sort of tips the scale in my mind that we should be taking a serious look at lowering our age to 18.”

toad455

PostPosted: 02/22/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the WNBA age should be lowered, too. 21?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/22/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

No!

PostPosted: 02/22/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I don’t know why this became a free agent topic. Oh, Clay.

There’s not enough roster spots to make room to develop younger players.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/22/19 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

What if they moved to a hockey like system in the WNBA? For players that still need time to develop they can be drafted at a certain age, and then try to make the team. If they sign, then their rookie contract begins, if they don't they can then return to their NCAA/Junior/Euro team. After 3 years if they aren't signed the team loses their rights and they become an UFA.

PostPosted: 02/22/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

What if they moved to a hockey like system in the WNBA? For players that still need time to develop they can be drafted at a certain age, and then try to make the team. If they sign, then their rookie contract begins, if they don't they can then return to their NCAA/Junior/Euro team. After 3 years if they aren't signed the team loses their rights and they become an UFA.

This would be really interesting. I like this idea.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/22/19 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Age of eligibility doesn't feel like something that there's much impetus towards changing on either side of the CBA negotiations. The coaches probably like that they have 4 years of college evidence to work with when drafting (and more fully-formed players at 22 than 19), and a significant portion of the Players' Association would be helping to open up the league to their own replacements. Plus it's generally thrown out as a positive for the women's game that most of the players actually get a degree (or get somewhere close to it) before turning pro.

I don't think we'll see much change there until a meaningful number of players - or one or two superstars - turn pro early and are playing in Europe for years while ineligible to play professionally in the US. One or two like Prince and DeShields playing a year overseas before their draft isn't nearly enough. If someone like Griner or Parker had skipped college and dominated in Europe for three years (or more) before being allowed to play for money in her own country, maybe it would've become an issue. But right now it really isn't.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 12 of 21

Jump to: