RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other Games: Week of 2/17 - 2/23
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:09 pm    ::: Other Games: Week of 2/17 - 2/23 Reply Reply with quote

Noticed that the other "Other Game" thread ended 2 days ago per the title Wink, so here is one that covers today's game until Saturday!

Northwestern leading 42-35 with just under 5 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter. Northwestern hitting a couple of outside shots to extend their lead. But McLaughlin from Purdue has hit 6 3-pointers herself to keep Purdue in it!

Last edited by lynxmania on 02/17/19 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks lynxmania.

I'm over at UCLA vs Cal.

Cheryl Reeves is back and Katie Smith and Curt Miller are here sitting with her.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also shoutout to Kansas State for beating Texas today 69-60!

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ouch, I didn't see that one.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McLaughlin up to 8 threes after 3 quarters. Shocked

lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:

How does Northwestern continue to let her get open?!?

Purdue up 57-51 with 4 minutes left. On BTN!

lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MCLAUGHLIN AT THE BUZZER* FOR ANOTHER 3 FOR THE WIN!

how fitting Surprised

*the refs should add about 1.5 seconds on the clock

Last edited by lynxmania on 02/17/19 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

How does Northwestern continue to let her get open?!?

Purdue up 57-51 with 4 minutes left. On BTN!

And for a 9th time!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget about that admin. tech that Purdue got that NW only made one of the shots.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd kind of like to see it go OT just to see how many threes NW will let her have.

That almost went in!!!!!

lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal going on a run here to try and get back in it. Getting some turnovers and missed shots and getting out and running.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anigwe has a bad habit of often bringing the ball down before she shoots when she gets a pass from outside.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feeling bad for Cal. Looks like they won't make the NCAAs. Was hoping to get to see Anigwe against some of the better C's out there. And now regretting Stanford's loss to them but we definitely saw them at their very best. I keep thinking they should be better than they are...

- Amanda Gorman
insidewinder

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:26 pm    ::: Cal is a mystery Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Feeling bad for Cal. Looks like they won't make the NCAAs. Was hoping to get to see Anigwe against some of the better C's out there. And now regretting Stanford's loss to them but we definitely saw them at their very best. I keep thinking they should be better than they are...

That's cause they should be better than they are. Anigwe is amazing. I feel like she gets calls maybe she shouldn't but darn, she works so hard, she's so active, that's what happens with a star who does that. Cal has some decent shooters, they have probably the best post in the country, and they are lead by good seniors. Should definitely be better than they are. Best they can do is .500 in conference. A shame their seniors go out like this.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/17/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU had a grudge match today at the Convo Center with UNCW. It was very grudge-y. UNCW had beat the Dukes in Wilmington, and our girls were not about to let them forget that. It was scrappy and chippy all the way, marked by some appallingly bad reffing, but JMU pulled out a win, 58-51, behind 24 points from Kamiah Smalls and 10 rebounds from Devon Merritt, also 5 blocks from Kayla Cooper-Williams.

One thing of note--UNCW has a very large center, I would call her morbidly obese really, who can shoot and shove people around but can't keep up. She was totally gassed in the 3Q and before the end of that Q she ran over to the corner and was throwing up in the trash can. It wasn't much more than 5 minutes and she was back in the game!! That seems to me to be player abuse, or at the very least not good care for your players. She was still not keeping up well during the 4Q, fell down a couple of times and had to be helped up which took sometimes 2 teammates. I have heard that one of the reasons Karen Barefoot was fired, besides breaking the ODU program, was abuse of players. I don't know if that's true, although I know that it's true of her assistant, Tina Martin, when she was at Delaware, but this would seem to be indicative. In any case, I was not favorably impressed.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State finishes with 20-0 run to beat Utah by 2, 60-58. Utes only scored 3 points in the 4th quarter.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 10:47 pm    ::: Re: Cal is a mystery Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That's cause they should be better than they are. Anigwe is amazing. I feel like she gets calls maybe she shouldn't but darn, she works so hard, she's so active, that's what happens with a star who does that. Cal has some decent shooters, they have probably the best post in the country, and they are lead by good seniors. Should definitely be better than they are. Best they can do is .500 in conference. A shame their seniors go out like this.

Took the words out of my mouth. One thing I did notice is that Gottlieb really has a very thin bench. Only the starters scored and when they went on runs, it was usually because they got out in transition. Their big plays have been lobbing it to Anigwe and maybe Asha Thomas (and now Recee Caldwell) bailing them out with a big three. Their other players can do well but are inconsistent.

I go over to the Cal board and it's a constant barrage of critiques for Gottlieb. I personally never thought she was that good. She inherited a talented upperclass team and the balls fell right for them that year when Georgie upset Stanford opening up a route to the Final Four. I'm also surprised she doesn't come up as a coach on the hot seat. Her recruiting has been subpar with very small classes, even though she's had a few McDonald's AA.

She has not lined up a replacement for Anigwe and she's losing two experienced guards. With Arizona and Utah coming up, Cal's trajectory looks downward.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/17/19 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Also shoutout to Kansas State for beating Texas today 69-60!

IN AUSTIN, no less.... Shocked Jatarie and Joyner COMBINE for 8 pts?? Longhorns sinking like a rock but, yes, credit to K-State.

And speaking of rocks: MI-State goes down to Nebraska. Credit the Cornhuskers, but 'dem Spartans have lost their mojo. Or something. Crying or Very sad

I see KY barely squeaked by Arkansas by 2 last-second points. I'm still a little surprised KY has only lost 5 games this season.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 12:17 am    ::: Re: Cal is a mystery Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
insidewinder wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Took the words out of my mouth. One thing I did notice is that Gottlieb really has a very thin bench. Only the starters scored and when they went on runs, it was usually because they got out in transition. Their big plays have been lobbing it to Anigwe and maybe Asha Thomas (and now Recee Caldwell) bailing them out with a big three. Their other players can do well but are inconsistent.

I go over to the Cal board and it's a constant barrage of critiques for Gottlieb. I personally never thought she was that good. She inherited a talented upperclass team and the balls fell right for them that year when Georgie upset Stanford opening up a route to the Final Four. I'm also surprised she doesn't come up as a coach on the hot seat. Her recruiting has been subpar with very small classes, even though she's had a few McDonald's AA.

She has not lined up a replacement for Anigwe and she's losing two experienced guards. With Arizona and Utah coming up, Cal's trajectory looks downward.

agree. She seems like a rah, rah kind of coach. I think what keeps her there, and some other coaches in their jobs, is that she is a really nice person and seems to have good rapport with her players. Just my impression. Nice people also often have good relationships with their 'superiors' as well, which also helps.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/18/19 12:53 am    ::: Re: Cal is a mystery Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think what keeps (Gottlieb) there, and some other coaches in their jobs, is that she is a really nice person and seems to have good rapport with her players.

Eh, having taken Cal to its first and only Final Four probably also has something to do with her job retention, I would certainly imagine.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/18/19 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't get to watch the game of MS-State & TX a&m, but....did anybody else see the double tech ejection of Chennedy Carter? Girl got TEMPER!

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I didn't get to watch the game of MS-State & TX a&m, but....did anybody else see the double tech ejection of Chennedy Carter? Girl got TEMPER!

I did, of course. Gary Blair has a huge problem that so far he hasn't dealt with properly. But I suppose we should thank them both because that situation is precisely what sent us Lashes this year.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 12:02 pm    ::: Re: Cal is a mystery Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think what keeps (Gottlieb) there, and some other coaches in their jobs, is that she is a really nice person and seems to have good rapport with her players.

Eh, having taken Cal to its first and only Final Four probably also has something to do with her job retention, I would certainly imagine.

That Final Four is getting further and further away. If they don't make the NCAA's this year, then it's not a good sign with this senior class. Next year will even tougher.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/19 1:08 pm    ::: Re: Cal is a mystery Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That Final Four is getting further and further away. If they don't make the NCAA's this year, then it's not a good sign with this senior class. Next year will even tougher.

and that final four was with inherited players. Since then, she's recruited some talent, but not done much with it.

- Amanda Gorman
bballgrl

PostPosted: 02/18/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TexDawg wrote:
Howee wrote:

I did, of course. Gary Blair has a huge problem that so far he hasn't dealt with properly. But I suppose we should thank them both because that situation is precisely what sent us Lashes this year.

I also saw her tearing down the curtain as she walked past it. Not cool at all and I wonder if Gary will punish her in any way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: