RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other Games week of 2-9 thru 2-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/14/19 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
OSU def. RU 59-39. RU shot 26% from the field and just 2-21 from 3. RU looking like a 8/9 seed now after their last three loses.

And Michigan State is getting curb stomped in Madison. The Big Ten is a mess.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/14/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:
OSU def. RU 59-39. RU shot 26% from the field and just 2-21 from 3. RU looking like a 8/9 seed now after their last three loses.

Since Michigan State is 1-0 against Oregon and will be 0-1 against Wisconsin, I believe that means Wisconsin WBB are Pac-12 Champions! Laughing

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/19 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't been able to figure out why teams like MichSt and Rutgers were ever ranked in the first place.

39 pts total by Rutgers vs OhSt? Seriously?

There must be a lot of voters from Big10 country. That's all I can figure.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/19 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
myrtle wrote:
WVU showing why the B12 will only have 3 teams in the NCAAs, struggling against Tech.

Tech managed to give it away at the very end of the game, but WVU was WAY less than impressive in this win.

There are chokes and then there are CHOKES. But what Tech did down the stretch of tgat game was a big time CHOKE.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I haven't been able to figure out why teams like MichSt and Rutgers were ever ranked in the first place.

There must be a lot of voters from Big10 country. That's all I can figure.

Who should've been ranked the whole time instead? Michigan St looks like a ranked team at home though, but on the road they stink. lol

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing on North Carolina’s disasterous loss to Pitt? That is brutal.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:

Is it because it's Valentine's Day, or what is the deal with all the crazy games today?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

Who should've been ranked the whole time instead?

That's basically the problem. It seems this year there's only about 15 teams that merit being ranked in the top 25.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:

I think that's what happens when you have a few talented players who are essentially uncoached. You get an erratic hot mess. If they get hot, they're dangerous; if not they can lose to anybody.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amanda Butler may deserve to be coach of the year, BTW. What a turnaround job she has done at Clemson. Big win over FSU tonight.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

That's basically the problem. It seems this year there's only about 15 teams that merit being ranked in the top 25.

agree. it's all a hot mess. I'm glad I'm not voting and not on the committee. Good luck to those guys trying to sort it all out.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/19 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

agree. it's all a hot mess. I'm glad I'm not voting and not on the committee. Good luck to those guys trying to sort it all out.

There are going to be a lot of laughable choices for the last half dozen at large births. And there will be a lot of complaining by essentially fungible bubble teams. The appropriate complaint this year should be "hey, they suck just as bad as we do, why did they get in over us?"

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:

That one sure was a surprise to me but I'm happy about it as I'm rooting for Pitt now with Terri Mitchell being an assistant there.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Minnesota just took Purdue to the woodshed in West Lafayette. It was a two-point game at the end of the 3rd, but Minnesota outscored Purdue 20-2 in the fourth to win the game by 20 points.

This is Purdue's 10th loss, and 5th loss in 6 games. It probably the nail in the coffin of their NCAA chances. That will be two seasons in a row not making the tournament and 3 seasons out of 5.

You know it’s bad when the coach doesn’t come out of the locker room to meet the media.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/02/14/purdue-womens-basketball-goes-cold-falls-minnesota-65-45/2842699002/

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

This Michigan fan is sitting back and watching the Wolverines slowly rise in the standings. After one of the tougher B1G January schedules that left them in 10th, the Wolverines flipped the calendar into five straight wins and 4th place with a win over IU last night. They haven’t all been pretty (especially without starting pg Amy Dilk), but the team is deep and balanced. Hallie Thome, who has been battling a bad back all season, has 1999 points. She hasn’t had U-M’s game high for over a month.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/15/19 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Minnesota just took Purdue to the woodshed in West Lafayette. It was a two-point game at the end of the 3rd, but Minnesota outscored Purdue 20-2 in the fourth to win the game by 20 points.

This is Purdue's 10th loss, and 5th loss in 6 games. It probably the nail in the coffin of their NCAA chances. That will be two seasons in a row not making the tournament and 3 seasons out of 5.

You know it’s bad when the coach doesn’t come out of the locker room to meet the media.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/02/14/purdue-womens-basketball-goes-cold-falls-minnesota-65-45/2842699002/

It's pathetic. She has to go.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/15/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Amanda Butler may deserve to be coach of the year, BTW. What a turnaround job she has done at Clemson. Big win over FSU tonight.

Agreed. They were picked to finish either last or second to last!

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/19 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I wonder how much the Jenkins excisement affected the remaining team members. Typically there are a lot of close friendships on a team so emotionally they could have just 'lost' it.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Yep that OR loss to M ST is looking pretty bad right now. I wonder if Whalen benefits from the mess in The Big Ten going forward.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU had a lunchtime game with College of Charleston today and took home all the cookies, 76-35. Scoring was pretty evenly distributed, with a couple of players getting 10 or 11 points, and some others having 9. One standout stat was that JMU got 40 points off the bench, 20 of them coming from just 2 players, Jackie Benitez and Eleanore Marcizewski (who got all hers in the 4Q). CoC players are not that bad individually, but as a team they pretty much suck, and apparently the only reason they aren't in the basement of the CAA where they usually reside is that this year, Hofstra is. That could still change.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Some of the turnaround has to do with Simone Westbrook as a graduate transfer.

But no doubt Amanda Butler has done a tremendous job. If Clemson finishes the ACC at 9-7, she should be the near-unanimous COY. Clemson has not had a winning ACC record since 2001-02, the year of its last NCAAT appearance. Heck, Clemson has had only one season of more than 4 ACC wins (and it was 5) in the last 13 years!

As an aside, Clemson Assistant Coach Joy Cheek has a reputation as a very good assistant coach, in terms of player development and recruiting (which will help Clemson in future years, as I believe the team loses 3 of its top 4 players this year to graduation).

Howee

PostPosted: 02/15/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruh-roh....Marquette loses on the road at St. Johns..... Shocked

PostPosted: 02/15/19 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ruh-roh....Marquette loses on the road at St. Johns..... Shocked

Not a surprise to me at all. I didn't think MU would run the table in the Big East. St. John's seems to always be a tough match-up for Marquette and MU was lucky to beat them at home last month. The key for Marquette will be how they bounce back after this loss. I sure hope they can get at least a 4 seed to be able to host NCAA Tournament games.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/16/19 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WVU was cruising along stomping on TCU...until TCU started pressing, and they cut well into the lead...I think they got it down to four. Still WVU managed to win: 79-65
I wouldn't have thought WVU would struggle against a press but they certainly did.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/16/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sort of the same story CMU cruising at Buffalo until the fourth qtr when the Bufs made a big run. Came down to FT shooting in the end CMU wins 100-95. It's going to be interesting what happens with the MAC and the NCAAs.

btw: Dillard was 11-17 from the FT line. Think those missed FTs may have made a difference?

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: