RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/12/19 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu as a pro 3 in her rookie season is an absolute nonsense. Of course he wants people to believe he might play her there - he's got two point guards who are thoroughly available in trades that he wants to convince people he might keep.

PostPosted: 02/12/19 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

while playing imaginary GM adding Ionescu changes up my mock with falling dominoes

1. LV Ionescu
2. NY McCowan (I still want Durr but can't see Smith passing on McCowan)
3. Indy Brown
4. Chi Durr
5. Dallas Anigwe (Can play 5 or 4 would pair well with Nneka, oh that hasn't happened yet?)
6. Minn Collier (Can play 3 or 4 works as a replacement of Moore or Brunson. Reeves seems to have liked her with team USA)
7. LA KLS (Get Chiney and have double sister acts)
8. PX Ogunbowale (Diana and Arike)
9. Conn Smith (Miller likes 3s)
10. Was Cuningham
11. Atl Howard
12. Sea Gustafson (Seems like a Dan Hughes type of player)

13. PX Magbegor (Sandy still gets an Aussie)
14. NY Martin (might as well have the other early entry I have though would be available all season and NY gets a C and a SF out of the draft)
15. Chi Turner (great value at 15)
16. Minn Bell (local PG)
17. Dallas Kea (Can play instead of or next to Skylar)
18. Minn Shepard (J-Mac-ian?)
19. LA Han Xu
20. Minn Laska (deferred pick for 2020)
21. Conn Blockton
22. Dallas Dillard
23. Atl Robinson
24. Sea Cazorla

25. Indy Heideman
26. NY Mabrey

Last edited by J-Spoon on 02/12/19 6:23 am; edited 6 times in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/12/19 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Ionescu as a pro 3 in her rookie season is an absolute nonsense. Of course he wants people to believe he might play her there - he's got two point guards who are thoroughly available in trades that he wants to convince people he might keep.

McBride is a viable option at the 3, better at the 2 but viable at the 3 if he wants to play Plum/Ionescu and McBride at the same time.

But yeah trading Jefferson or Plum especially with the steady hand of L. Allen on the bench (who can at least score in Australia) makes sense.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/12/19 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu, Jackie Young(ND) & Tynice Martin(WV) seem like the three most likely to enter early. Ionescu is a lottery pick and almost guaranteed #1 pick. Young is a top 8 pick. Martin could sneak into the first round.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/19 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spooner, I think you believe Ionescu will declare for the draft because of toad’s screenshot, but that was already sufficiently shot down as an author taking liberties with his own view of the situation.... kinda like somebody taking liberties at WCCO on why Maya might be sitting out.

Never mind any notion that Graves will not try to talk Ionescu out of declaring early for the draft and let it be totally up to her. He’s going to try his best to talk her out of it, and the case for her staying in school is a lot easier to make than for her to move on.

First of all, let’s assume Oregon doesn’t win the championship this year. It’s not difficult of an assumption to make. They are great at home, but at a neutral site, they might not be so great against worthy competition. If they do win a championship, then all bets are off. Ionescu might just enter early. She’ll have major hype on her side. Could be Jordan Brand’s new face if she agrees to wear #23, who knows? Wink

But if Oregon doesn’t win a championship this year, I’m thinking they become the overwhelming favorite WITH Ionescu to win it all in 2020. Look at how much weaker the other perennial favorites get next year.

UConn: Lose Samuelson and Collier. Only taking on one #33 ranked freshman. They might be lucky to win the AAC. Wink
ND: Lose Ogunbowale, Shepard, Turner, Mabrey, and possibly Young. Case for Young leaving early is stronger than for Ionescu.
LOU: Loses Durr, Fuehring, and Carter.
MSST: I’ve always said McCowan was the main reason MSST has been great these past few years. That notion has held up through shifting rosters, and now she’ll finally be gone along with Danberry and Holmes.
STAN: Loses ASmith, but they have an interesting freshmen class. How often do you win with freshmen? Maryland was just an old urban legend. Never really happened.
SC: They could be contenders but it’d be mostly on the backs of a great freshmen class.
ORE: I believe Oregon only loses Cazorla, but they gain Sabally’s sister. That’ll be a great offset.

Still with me? People seem to forget that the WNBA players opted out of the current CBA effective the 2020 season. There’s so much uncertainty about what’s going to shake out with the WNBA that won’t be clarified by the time Ionescu has to decide whether or not to declare for the draft. There’s a small possibility there won’t even be a WNBA season in 2020 or that it folds, so it makes much more sense just to get that diploma and wait and see what happens. You never know, it might be more advantageous in other ways to be a rookie in the start of the new CBA.

Plus, Graves has already hinted at all the untouchable records Ionescu could be setting if she were to continue on.

Who knows what Ionescu really wants to do, but I’m seeing plenty of incentive for her to just stay in school.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 02/12/19 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My wish list(Realistic picks):

#5-Brown,Young,Collier,Magbebor,Anigwe or Ogunbowale (In that order)

#17-Martin,Turner,Xu Han or Kea (In that order)

toad455

PostPosted: 02/12/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

I think Brown may drop to you at #5 if Ionescu is entering. Liberty take Durr (my wish), Fever take McCowan and Sky take Collier or Samuelson.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/12/19 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I think Brown may drop to you at #5 if Ionescu is entering. Liberty take Durr (my wish), Fever take McCowan and Sky take Collier or Samuelson.

Brown would be a great pick for Dallas at #5.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/12/19 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what advantage does Ionescu gain by returning for her senior year?

Basically, it's an opportunity to win a national championship. (She does not particularly enjoy being a student.)

It's also an opportunity to set lots of Oregon and NCAA records.

What can she lose by returning for her senior year?

The list of players in other professional sports who have hurt their chances and cost themselves money is long (Ivan Rabb of Cal, just to name one, was going to be a lottery pick after his junior year but stayed for his senior year and dropped to the second round).

*She could suffer a serious injury

*She will leave at least $175,000 on the table that she will never be able to get back

*She might not play quite as well and drop out of the top four in the lottery

*Injuries to other players might make Oregon just an ordinary team next year

Another issue is that Oregon has insured other elite athletes against injury in their senior year (Marcus Mariota for one), and they would need to do the same for Ionescu.

PostPosted: 02/12/19 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
(She does not particularly enjoy being a student.)

Got receipts on this? Of course not.

ClayK wrote:
What can she lose by returning for her senior year?
*She could suffer a serious injury

Wait, she couldn’t get a serious injury her first year in the WNBA? What difference does it make? It won’t make that huge of a difference if she’s only the fourth pick in the draft as opposed to the first pick. This isn’t the NBA. Worrying about getting an injury is a sad way to go through life, and seeing that Ionescu doesn’t appear to be injury prone, I seriously doubt she’s worried about it. When you worry about something bad happening, that’s when it always happens.

ClayK wrote:
*She will leave at least $175,000 on the table that she will never be able to get back

You don’t know that for sure. She might get bigger endorsements if she waits.

ClayK wrote:
*She might not play quite as well and drop out of the top four in the lottery

Not likely and not worth worrying about.

ClayK wrote:
*Injuries to other players might make Oregon just an ordinary team next year

Yep, only players on Oregon are going to get injured. Everybody else is going to stay healthy.

Are you making the argument that everybody who is eligible for the draft should do it whether they have their diploma or not.... based on fear of injury?

ClayK wrote:
Another issue is that Oregon has insured other elite athletes against injury in their senior year (Marcus Mariota for one), and they would need to do the same for Ionescu.

Not sure what you’re talking about here, but I’m sure it would be well worth it to them. If Ionescu gets hurt past the redshirt deadline, she gets something like a million dollars? That sounds like a great incentive to stay with Oregon. Thanks, Clay. Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/19 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So what advantage does Ionescu gain by returning for her senior year?

Like I've said before, if I had been offered a gob of money to leave school and do something I loved and was really good at when I was 21, I'm sure I would have taken it. If someone came to me today and offered me the same thing or a chance to be a 22 year old college kid again, I would not hesitate at all to choose the latter.

---

WNBA salary: $53,000
Money in Russia: $500,000
Two kegger weekends: Priceless

PostPosted: 02/12/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, you strike me as somebody who never partied in school and now seems to regret not partying in school because you think you missed out on something, so now you’re acting like it’s cool to party in school. It’s not that cool. Maybe back in your day athletes partied a lot, but I think it’s a lot less likely nowadays, especially with the top athletes. Why let something like that potentially ruin your career?

toad455

PostPosted: 02/12/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades, I see where you get your nickname now. Throwing the shade left, right and sideways these days.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades, I see where you get your nickname now. Throwing the shade left, right and sideways these days.

If telling somebody they don’t strike me as a partier is an insult, I suppose I’m guilty to the cool kids like yourself, toad. Personally I would take it as a compliment.

Seems like you’ve been throwing plenty of shade at me lately. You wanna make fun of my name with the name you have? Good one.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/12/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care either way but I have thought Ionescu was as good of a come out early candidate as we have seen. I have no inside info but there were some comments made on this board when the college season had just started that sounded like people had heard things. Even with the walking back of the screen capture that feels much more like someone said too much, not that it wasn't accurate, and wanted to respect all parties involved

It is different because she is a true junior but it reminds me of Deshields how much it just feel like she is going to come out. (Of course she didn't technically come out until after the draft which was weird to say the least but it never felt like she was going back to me as a casual observer)

I don't think it is the substantial money she would earn over-seas (but I do think it would be hard for a lot of people to turn down what she could earn between the W and big over-seas contract she is realistically looking at $250,000 to $500,000). If I had to offer a theory it would be that she seems like the type of player who wants to be at the highest level her time with team USA, playing with the best in the World and fitting in might influence her to make the move to play with the best year round. Also she is in the same situation as other earlies like Loyd in that if she comes out she is the likely #1 pick. That would be the same in 2020 but going high or #1 seems to fit the early pattern.

I also do not equate leaving at the end of her junior year with not getting a diploma. If this is something she planned for she could of easily added some credits here or there in the summer, or could finish up in the next year or two with independent studies or online courses. And barring injury Ionescu strikes me as a 10 to 15 year pro getting paid at the highest level possible for a female basketball player and whose post basketball career will probably spring from her time as a pro basketball player (Coaching, commentating, business ventures built out of her basketball capitol) more than a degree.

If she goes back great, if she comes out great.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Also she is in the same situation as other earlies like Loyd in that if she comes out she is the likely #1 pick. That would be the same in 2020 but going high or #1 seems to fit the early pattern.

Loyd’s situation was different in these ways:
1. Loyd is dyslexic and struggled in school. If Ionescu is also dyslexic or has some other learning disability, maybe that could be a factor.
2. Loyd knew she wouldn’t win a college championship as long as Stewart was in college. Ionescu has a better chance next year.
3. McGraw isn’t exactly warm and fuzzy, as you can derive from her response to Loyd’s early declaration. She wasn’t supportive of the move, like a coach should be. A bit self-serving. She even blocked Loyd on twitter. I’m fairly sure the coach-player relationship is better with Ionescu.
4. There’s no way Loyd would have been the #1 pick in 2016, if that’s seen as important. Ionescu is a certain #1 in 2020; probably #1 in 2019.
5. Loyd’s twitter buddy Zahui declared early so maybe it enticed her to join the party.

Here’s a possible pro-early declaration argument I haven’t seen used by anyone except Laimbeer (and maybe Rock Hard). Maybe she wants to play for Vegas and next year it’d be highly unlikely. I wonder how closely Ionescu follows the WNBA.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/12/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Also she is in the same situation as other earlies like Loyd in that if she comes out she is the likely #1 pick. That would be the same in 2020 but going high or #1 seems to fit the early pattern.

Loyd’s situation was different in these ways:
1. Loyd is dyslexic and struggled in school. If Ionescu is also dyslexic or has some other learning disability, maybe that could be a factor.
2. Loyd knew she wouldn’t win a college championship as long as Stewart was in college. Ionescu has a better chance next year.
3. McGraw isn’t exactly warm and fuzzy, as you can derive from her response to Loyd’s early declaration. She wasn’t supportive of the move, like a coach should be. A bit self-serving. She even blocked Loyd on twitter. I’m fairly sure the coach-player relationship is better with Ionescu.
4. There’s no way Loyd would have been the #1 pick in 2016, if that’s seen as important. Ionescu is a certain #1 in 2020; probably #1 in 2019.
5. Loyd’s twitter buddy Zahui declared early so maybe it enticed her to join the party.

Here’s a possible pro-early declaration argument I haven’t seen used by anyone except Laimbeer (and maybe Rock Hard). Maybe she wants to play for Vegas and next year it’d be highly unlikely. I wonder how closely Ionescu follows the WNBA.

Those are good points, but my comparison was strictly that she would be the clear #1 pick like Loyd I didn't mean anything deeper. Following the pattern that player who declare early are likely to go high in the draft. (A. Gray and Zahui B went #2, Davis went #10 oh well, who are some other early entries that last few years?)

And yes when you come out early you have a little more control over your destination, this year she lands in LV or NY that would appeal to me.

Next year it could be, well who knows? predictions this early or even right before the season are hard (no one picked a Seattle Washington final that is for sure). ATM NY and Indy seem to be leading the lottery pack, can Chi finally break into the playoffs? Dallas and Minnesota are in a sort of limbo with their best player/s not being available, and an injury or two to any teams top players could change a teams fortune quick. So maybe that control over destination is very appealing to Ionescu.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/12/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't Muffet blindsided about Jewel's early declaration or Muffet asked Jewel she going pro, she said no and then changed her without telling her (I guess that's the same as being blindsided. I question the heart of a player that doesn't believe that they can't beat a certain team or player.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/12/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

>ClayK wrote: (She does not particularly enjoy being a student.)
Got receipts on this? Of course not.

Direct quote from a one-on-one conversation. Sometimes you jump to conclusions. I think I still have it recorded somewhere.

>Wait, she couldn’t get a serious injury her first year in the WNBA?

At that point, she would be getting paid so she would have some money in the bank as opposed to none.

>You don’t know that for sure. She might get bigger endorsements if she waits

According to my conversation with a WNBA agent, that's not likely to be true. The real endorsement money comes from being on the Olympic team.

>Not likely and not worth worrying about.

As mentioned, it's happened to many athletes who stayed in school. A nagging injury could cause it -- and it's easy for you to say it's not worth worrying about because it's not your bank account at stake.

>Yep, only players on Oregon are going to get injured. Everybody else is going to stay healthy.

What difference does it make to her if players for Stanford get hurt? Maybe it makes it easier to win a national title, but I would think losing a starter or two to injury would have an immediate impact on Oregon.

I'm sure there's a case to be made for her staying, but I'm not sure you countered the case for her to go.

PostPosted: 02/12/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69,

#5 Brown

#17 Xu Han

zune69

PostPosted: 02/12/19 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
zune69,

#5 Brown

#17 Xu Han

I'd be very satisfied with this...and if we can get Ogwumike or Gray for Cambage Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/12/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did hear Graves in an interview say he would support Io whatever her decision is... but right now they're both focusing on the here and now.

- Amanda Gorman
awhom111

PostPosted: 02/12/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Concerns about a potential work stoppage should be a point in the leave early column, right? You would have an extra year of salary and a whole season to audition for overseas gigs.

Also unclear to most of us is how close some of these players are to actually graduating. For example, Kelsey Plum apparently only recently graduated.
toad455

PostPosted: 02/13/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenn Hatfield of High Post Hoops breaks down the early entries best fits. She did forget Beatrice Mompremier of Miami(FL) & Aisia Robertson of New Mexico.

https://highposthoops.com/2019/02/13/2019-wnba-draft-best-fit-early-entry-ionescu-young-slocum/

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/19 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they all come out the top spots will eventually be disappointed and us lower spots will get the gems Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 37 of 74

Jump to: