RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Greta Van Fleet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/02/19 9:10 pm    ::: Greta Van Fleet Reply Reply with quote

I was introduced to this band by their performance on SNL (I don't really keep up with new bands these days), and while they had some sound issues--as so many musical guests seem to have on that stage--their sound really intrigued me, so I got some of their music. And then I got some more. Now I have basically all of it.

I can't remember the last time I was this excited to listen to music by a new band. They are up for a best new artist Grammy, and they definitely have my vote!

So if there are others here whose music tastes run in the ways of Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, etc., and are looking for a new band that channels those sounds and writes all their own music, give them a listen, you won't regret it!

PostPosted: 02/03/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They sound far too much like Led Zeppelin for me to take them seriously. I hear them on the radio and my teeth start grating in agony for how much their sound rips off Zeppelin.
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/03/19 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
They sound far too much like Led Zeppelin for me to take them seriously. I hear them on the radio and my teeth start grating in agony for how much their sound rips off Zeppelin.

Meh, everyone sounds like others. While the influences are apparent, there are significant differences, especially in their more recent releases as their music had matured (listen to "You're the One", for example)

But with the way music has gone these days, even if they sounded exactly like Zeppelin and never changed it would be a breath of fresh air to have that sort of music back. I mean, a new Zepplin, releasing new music? Perhaps starting a new wave of rock? Hell yeah! But again, I really think they are deeper than that when given a chance.

By the way, Robert Plant actually called them his favorite new band, referring to lead singer Josh Kiszka as a "beautiful little singer".
Wink

But yeah, ymmv.

PostPosted: 02/04/19 5:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Pastiche: A pastiche is a work of visual art, literature, theatre, or music that imitates the style or character of the work of one or more other artists. Unlike parody, pastiche celebrates, rather than mocks, the work it imitates.

So this is a great example of the kind of cultural literacy that some of us had and could utilize in their lives and some of us didn't have and therefore couldn't. Bob Dylan knew all about it as far back as the 1950s. I knew nothing about it in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. I'll stop there out of embarrassment.

I used to try my hand at writing songs but I put this thing on myself that the tunes had to sound like absolutely nothing I'd ever heard before. That was like an ethos in my working class musician's circle as a young person. I had one... I remember this so well... and played it for someone... a musician friend, my sister, and they shot it down like, Yeah, that sounds like "fill in the blanks." Don't copy other people's stuff. Dead stop.

I had tons of stuff come to me over the decades. But none of it was totally absolutely musically unique. lol. But, had I grown up around educated people, I would have been made hip to the use of pastiche in songwriting and the crafting of a musical 'sound.' Now everything sounds like some pop music of the past. You can rewrite the same songs over and over again and they'll be nominated for Academy Awards, over and over again. No problem.

So I haven't heard this band but I'm thinking that 50 years after Led Zep that there could and maybe should come along a band who says, "That's our shit. That's who we are. Let's go." I mean, why not? But someone like Stevie Ray Vaughan? I didn't give a shit how good he was. I couldn't accept him as anything but a knock off of Hendrix. Of course he was much more than a knock off of Hendrix and a great artist in his own right and he was just playing what was inside of him. But where I came from, we just weren't down for that shit. We were really a special kind of stupid.

And of course there WERE totally original musical acts and material back then which wouldn't have helped make the pastiche argument (that I didn't know about anyway) any more convincing. Zappa was completely unique. Earth, Wind, and Fire. The Allman Brothers (although they borrowed guitar solos in, for instance, Stormy Monday, NOTE FOR NOTE. Shocked I was shocked when I heard an original version of that.) I don't think, like Dark Side of the Moon had a whole lot of similar sounding material that preceded it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: