RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame @ UNC 1/27 2pm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/27/19 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I'm glad that atrocious offensive foul called against Kea didn't become the difference — it felt like it at that time.

Is this the one where the ND defender shoved the UNC offensive player into another ND player, out near the sideline?

If so, I agree it was a bad miss by the refs.

PostPosted: 01/27/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
The better coached team usually does win and that was definitely validated by the final score in today's game.

????????

You want to explain that whopper please?

I CAN, I CAN!!! Remember, Good/Outstanding/Fabulous coaches never ever lose to inferior teams/coaches. (I heard that somewhere....Shocked)

Right??

PostPosted: 01/27/19 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL! PITIFUL..losing to an unranked team today and barely beat a down Lady Vols team the other day. ND better pray they make it to Tampa this year

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/27/19 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame really shouldn't stay in the top five, though they probably will. Getting hammered by the weakest UConn team since 2012 by 18 points at home and then losing to non-Tourney team ain't fly.
willtalk

PostPosted: 01/27/19 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
The better coached team usually does win and that was definitely validated by the final score in today's game.

????????

You want to explain that whopper please?

It shouldn't need explaining to anyone that has followed WCBB. It was obviously sarcasm on steroids. I have just been in a silly mood lately so i attempted to post the most absurd thing I could think off.

PostPosted: 01/27/19 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Notre Dame really shouldn't stay in the top five, though they probably will. Getting hammered by the weakest UConn team since 2012 by 18 points at home and then losing to non-Tourney team ain't fly.

I predict they will be #4, behind UConn, Baylor, and Louis. But I guess it's possible MissSt could be #4.

- Amanda Gorman
SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/28/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty quiet ND fans! Even them North Dakota State and Artichoke bandwagons always jump on the Irish boat and talk smack when UConn loses..but ya'll so quiet today?! Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Laughing

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/28/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Pretty quiet ND fans! Even them North Dakota State and Artichoke bandwagons always jump on the Irish boat and talk smack when UConn loses..but ya'll so quiet today?! Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Laughing

What's the point when there is virtually no discussion of basketball during or after the game but after the game the trolls come out of the peanut gallery to play.

This board has really turned to shit. You have to really work to find intelligent discussion.

It's no wonder good posters like Queenie are gone.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/28/19 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what everyone learned from yesterday's game is how important Jackie Young is to Notre Dame's success. She may not have been ACC POY like Turner or hit the game winners in the Final Four like Ogunbowale. She may not be the three-point threat that Mabrey is.

But her numbers do not lie:

14.5 ppg
6.7 rpg
4.75 apg (2.375 A/TO)

If Young comes back healthy, this game will be a blip on ND's radar, especially given the fact that the Irish are 5-1 against ranked teams this year plus a win over Drake, who is a 6 seed in the latest bracketology.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/29/19 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I think what everyone learned from yesterday's game is how important Jackie Young is to Notre Dame's success.

Pretty obvious. But it's also a cautionary tale on how ANY team can/will lose altitude with one serious injury, too. ND will recover from this, but....how many teams will sustain their current quality if (Godforbid!) you get a season-ending injury on a: Durr-Collier-McCowan-Brown-Ogunbowale-Ionescu-Alanna Smith-Carter-etc.?

Here's to the basketball deities to keep all from harm, so we get Real Competition from Healthy Teams!

PostPosted: 01/30/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I think what everyone learned from yesterday's game is how important Jackie Young is to Notre Dame's success. She may not have been ACC POY like Turner or hit the game winners in the Final Four like Ogunbowale. She may not be the three-point threat that Mabrey is.

14.5 ppg
6.7 rpg
4.75 apg (2.375 A/TO)

If Young comes back healthy, this game will be a blip on ND's radar, especially given the fact that the Irish are 5-1 against ranked teams this year plus a win over Drake, who is a 6 seed in the latest bracketology.

That's for sure. I think they missed her defense more than anything.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/30/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

What's the point when there is virtually no discussion of basketball during or after the game but after the game the trolls come out of the peanut gallery to play.

This board has really turned to shit. You have to really work to find intelligent discussion.

It's no wonder good posters like Queenie are gone.

Arrow Oh there is still some shit on this board just turn that arrow facing north Laughing Laughing

I can't even with the ND excuses AGAIN give me a break.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/30/19 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I kinda make excuses for the Trees. I think it's normal for a fan to do that. [shrug] No big deal.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/30/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While the absence of Young may be the reason it's is not as much of a given as some think. Players, key players, miss a game here or there all season and yet no No 1 has lost to a Massey 56 (now 33) in a long time. You'd think that there would be a long list of upsets. But no. No 1's losing to a virtual .500 team team due to the loss of any one starter for one game.

Notre Dame had a loss to UConn and I believe Young played 40 mins. Whatever caused that 4th quarter meltdown and an 18 point loss may also be the reason for the loss at UNC. What that reason is ??? But I'll speculate the starters haven't yet established their roles. Turner, Shepard and Ogunbowale have all been volume shooters and scorers and there is but one ball. For example, late in the game I watched AO bring the ball up while being guarded by 3 UNC defenders in succession on the right sideline. After getting by all 3 she was in a 5 on 2 and looked to drive but was picked up, forcing her to pass & she did, into the right corner, to a defended player. That's not important. From the moment she crossed halfcourt Mabrey was standing on the left wing, all alone. In fact she was the only player on the left side of the forecourt. She was waving her arms like a marooned sailor to a passing ship. N Dame needed a 3 and Mabrey is deadly when allowed to set up. I guess Arike had blinders on.

Could it be that there are multiple agendas working at cross purposes?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/30/19 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
For example, late in the game I watched AO bring the ball up while being guarded by 3 UNC defenders in succession on the right sideline. After getting by all 3 she was in a 5 on 2 and looked to drive but was picked up, forcing her to pass & she did, into the right corner, to a defended player. That's not important. From the moment she crossed halfcourt Mabrey was standing on the left wing, all alone. In fact she was the only player on the left side of the forecourt. She was waving her arms like a marooned sailor to a passing ship. N Dame needed a 3 and Mabrey is deadly when allowed to set up. I guess Arike had blinders on.

?

Not sure if it was the same play but I noticed more than once Mabrey wide open and not getting the ball.

- Amanda Gorman
Phil

PostPosted: 01/31/19 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Interesting stat comparison - today Ogunbolwale was 5-21. The rest of the team shot 64%, which is good enough to win almost any game. In last year's championship game Ogunbowale shot 6-21 & was the MOP.

I doubt her performance today would win any awards.

Had she been 5-21 instead of 6 for 21 in the Championship game, no MOP (and no championship).

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 01/31/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game is not a disqualifier for ND to repeat as champs. From my observations they seem to play their best basketball in March. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a team that no one is talking about wins it all, again.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/31/19 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I think what everyone learned from yesterday's game is how important Jackie Young is to Notre Dame's success.

Pretty obvious. But it's also a cautionary tale on how ANY team can/will lose altitude with one serious injury, too. ND will recover from this, but....how many teams will sustain their current quality if (Godforbid!) you get a season-ending injury on a: Durr-Collier-McCowan-Brown-Ogunbowale-Ionescu-Alanna Smith-Carter-etc.?

Here's to the basketball deities to keep all from harm, so we get Real Competition from Healthy Teams!

I mean, Stanford already lost Fingall, Sniezek, Dodson, and Hull for extended periods this season and they're still doing pretty stellar. That's at least two starters and a sixth man.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/01/19 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

Jackie Young is their best player and this game helps demonstrate that.

I'd argue that she's not so much the "best player" (how can you really quantify that?) as much as she's the "glue" player who makes everyone else on the court better.

It's kind of like the Sweet Sixteen game against Villanova last year. It would be hard to argue that Westbeld was the more talented player on the ND roster, but the difference between when she was playing and when she wasn't in that game was huge.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/01/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Interesting stat comparison - today Ogunbolwale was 5-21. The rest of the team shot 64%, which is good enough to win almost any game. In last year's championship game Ogunbowale shot 6-21 & was the MOP.

Yeah, Ogubowale fell back into her old bad habits. She had been really good this year (and later in last year) distributing the ball on fast breaks, but she kept ignoring wide open Mabrey while she was hot from outside.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/01/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I say enough dumb things on this board without being misquoted to make a point Art. What I was saying wasn't that the P5 teams are as pathetic as the AAC, only that once you get by the first 2 teams (except the PAC12) all the P5 conferences are bad. The AAC is worse but only in the sense that the MOV's vs UConn will be 40 instead of 25. You can try and spin this pathetic loss as evidence of UNC's quality of play but they beat AAC mid-pack team USF by just 2 and lost to Maine and Penn St. They came into today's game 11-9 and until today was looking forward to the NIT.

But if it helps go ahead and pretend that the Irish lost to a good team with a future WNBA star. Rolling Eyes

You think that the #3-6 teams in the ACC are like the #2-3 teams in the AAC? Really? Wow.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/01/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

Had she been 5-21 instead of 6 for 21 in the Championship game, no MOP (and no championship).

Actually, the game was tied when she hit that shot, so no, you can't say that. All that you could say was that the game would have gone to OT.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/01/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

14.5 ppg
6.7 rpg
4.75 apg (2.375 A/TO)

That's for sure. I think they missed her defense more than anything.

This is a key part. People often focus too much on offense.

For instance, in 2017 when ND lost to Stanford in the NCAAs, it was mostly because Stanford was able to score in the area that Turner was usually defending.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/01/19 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
While the absence of Young may be the reason it's is not as much of a given as some think. Players, key players, miss a game here or there all season and yet no No 1 has lost to a Massey 56 (now 33) in a long time. You'd think that there would be a long list of upsets. But no. No 1's losing to a virtual .500 team team due to the loss of any one starter for one game.

Notre Dame had a loss to UConn and I believe Young played 40 mins. Whatever caused that 4th quarter meltdown and an 18 point loss may also be the reason for the loss at UNC. What that reason is ??? But I'll speculate the starters haven't yet established their roles. Turner, Shepard and Ogunbowale have all been volume shooters and scorers and there is but one ball. For example, late in the game I watched AO bring the ball up while being guarded by 3 UNC defenders in succession on the right sideline. After getting by all 3 she was in a 5 on 2 and looked to drive but was picked up, forcing her to pass & she did, into the right corner, to a defended player. That's not important. From the moment she crossed halfcourt Mabrey was standing on the left wing, all alone. In fact she was the only player on the left side of the forecourt. She was waving her arms like a marooned sailor to a passing ship. N Dame needed a 3 and Mabrey is deadly when allowed to set up. I guess Arike had blinders on.

Could it be that there are multiple agendas working at cross purposes?

You forget to factor in Mabrey's injury in the UConn loss. She had only returned the week before and was still not at 100%.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/01/19 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

ND should still have won this despite the injury of Young, which is why I haven't mentioned that in the reason for the loss (even though it did happen without having much practice time to allow for it). Basically, ND didn't react well to the change, but they should have still been able to handle UNC despite that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: