RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#6 Stanford @ #21 Utah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/27/19 2:28 pm    ::: #6 Stanford @ #21 Utah Reply Reply with quote

After 1Q
Utah 17
Stanford 12

Stanford shots just not dropping. Expect that will change. Stanford clearly more talented lineup and obviously, better coached.

Utah in-house video feed only available to folks with Pac-12 on their cable packages

https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/01/27/stanford-utah

PostPosted: 01/27/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smith with 2 quick fouls, then sat awhile. Came back in and should have been called for her 3rd, but so far not. The Hull sisters keeping us in the game. Otherwise, pretty ugly.

- Amanda Gorman
osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/27/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Halftime
Stanford 31
Utah 32

Utah shots dropping Stanford's not. Stanford seems kind of listless out there, not taking command. I bet Tara is raising hell in the locker room. Utah has NEVER beaten Stanford. Ever.

3 point shooting is the difference. Utah 6/13. Stanford 3/11.

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After 3Q.
Utah 55
Stanford 50

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw Utah play 2 games in Las Vegas and thought they were improved but not a team in the top half of the Pac 12. Oops

Even if the Utes don't hold on (tied at 64 with 4 minutes to go), this is a very good team deserving of a tournament berth.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah up 71-68 with 0:52 remaining.

Alanna Smith just fouled out on an offensive foul wit 50 seconds to go.

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So we're getting beat by a girl going 5-8 from three...who's only made 4 on the season before today! Laughing Plus all the ridiculous foul calls not helping. But it's fun to see how excited these Ute fans are. Good for them!

Smith should have fouled out earlier. But that call they did make was ridiculous.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we're going to have new flop queen in the P12 for the next three years. Gylten!

- Amanda Gorman
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chop chop chop!

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Utes. And congrats to that senior who had the game of her life. The stars have to align correctly for a big win, and they did it!

- Amanda Gorman
elsie

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01/27/19 2:28 pm ::: #6 Stanford @ #21 Utah Reply Reply with quote
After 1Q
Utah 17
Stanford 12

"Stanford shots just not dropping. Expect that will change. Stanford clearly more talented lineup and obviously, better coached."

"better coached"....."more talented lineup" and they couldn't beat that loser poorly coached Utah team....too funny.....

osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Utah up 71-68 with 0:52 remaining.

Alanna Smith just fouled out on an offensive foul wit 50 seconds to go.

#21 Utah beats #6 Stanford 75-68. First Utah win ever against Stanford.

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
PostPosted: 01/27/19 2:28 pm ::: #6 Stanford @ #21 Utah Reply Reply with quote
After 1Q
Utah 17
Stanford 12

"Stanford shots just not dropping. Expect that will change. Stanford clearly more talented lineup and obviously, better coached."

"better coached"....."more talented lineup" and they couldn't beat that loser poorly coached Utah team....too funny.....

There's no doubt Stanford has a more talented squad and are you really comparing Lynn Roberts’ coaching resume to Tara Vanderveer?

Congrats to Utah. They played a great game and won.

Last edited by osubeavers on 01/27/19 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So we're getting beat by a girl going 5-8 from three...who's only made 4 on the season before today! Laughing Plus all the ridiculous foul calls not helping. But it's fun to see how excited these Ute fans are. Good for them!

myrtle wrote:
Congrats to the Utes. . . . The stars have to align correctly for a big win, and they did it!

Hmm. I was thinking almost exactly the same things about a different game when I looked in this thread and saw your posts. Sucks, doesn't it. Very Happy

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good play by the UTE upperclassmen. They have a talented frosh class that has contributed throughout the year but today it was Huff and Bean.

elsie

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not comparing anyone to anyone else......you are the one putting down another pac 12 coach and team as being inferior.....well inferior just beat Stanford....

I wanted Stanford to win, being a Zag fan, with our small school and lousy coach and inferior athletes who just happened to have beat Stanford already this year...its better for our rpi......

just like ND, sometimes people get rolled with their presumptions.....ND has lost today as well....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
not comparing anyone to anyone else......you are the one putting down another pac 12 coach and team as being inferior.....well inferior just beat Stanford....

I wanted Stanford to win, being a Zag fan, with our small school and lousy coach and inferior athletes who just happened to have beat Stanford already this year...its better for our rpi......

just like ND, sometimes people get rolled with their presumptions.....ND has lost today as well....

What's all your venom about? Chill out. It's just a game.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

I would say the same thing about Tara relative to OSU’s coach Rueck. It’s not an insult to say you’re not as good a coach as Tara. 1000+ wins speaks for itself. “Lousy” and “inferior” are your words not mine.

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

myrtle wrote:
Congrats to the Utes. . . . The stars have to align correctly for a big win, and they did it!

Hmm. I was thinking almost exactly the same things about a different game when I looked in this thread and saw your posts. Sucks, doesn't it. Very Happy

yeah, it hurts, but I think at least for us, it's a good wake up call. And our team isn't nearly in the same league as ND. We can't afford to have Smith on the bench and she can't seem to help herself, our post rotation is almost non-existent w/o Fingall and Dodson (we have a deep bench player starting instead), and when our three shooters shoot for shit...well today happens. Anyway, I assumed we'd get at least a couple of losses in the P12, though wasn't thinking it would be Utah. It really was fun though to see how excited the Utah fans were.

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basketball has always been a game of matchups and timing ( or when you catch a team). Today the timing was in Utah's favor/

Don't underestimate the ability of Roberts as a coach. She turned UOP's program around and she is doing the sam at Utah

PostPosted: 01/27/19 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Basketball has always been a game of matchups and timing ( or when you catch a team). Today the timing was in Utah's favor/

Don't underestimate the ability of Roberts as a coach. She turned UOP's program around and she is doing the sam at Utah

To me, this is just one (exciting!) example of how there really is an uptick in parity, and not just in the PAC 12. "Utah"? Who paid 'em any mind last October?

Obviously, it's NOT only on the coaches--or Vanderveer & Roberts could just go play 1-on-1, or HORSE, or something like that (I'd probably put my money on Tara.... Laughing )

THERE ARE SO MANY LAYERS TO HOW A MATCHUP WILL PLAY ITSELF OUT.
*Coach's skill is secondary to your collection of players (Chemistry, Skillset, Health, Work Ethics, etc.)
*Then? What can a coach squeeze out of their players, when not at full-strength? Can they get into the heads of the Talented-but-Hardheaded ones to get them all on the right page? Can they reliably expect their girls to execute as well as drilled? Are the lights hard for shooters? Are their allergies acting up?

We all know this, but wanna pin all the intangibles onto The Coach. Or one player's 'off' night. Or refs (and they can have an impact, donchyaknow!)

I say, it's good to see a youngry team like Utah capitalize on a big win like this to assert themselves, AND CARRY IT FORWARD. The sustaining part is far more on the coach; in this matchup, Tara doesn't need the scrutiny--her history gives her a pass. We can know what to expect next. Ms. Roberts? This her next big chance to prove she's got the talent and skill to CONTINUE playing with The Big Dogs. Lets root her on!

PostPosted: 01/28/19 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah seemed real to me when they handled California. They are firing on all cylinders and Roberts really has them running a smooth offensive system. It reminded me a lot or Rueck's system where they are constantly moving and keeping the defenses guessing throughout an entire possession instead of just standing around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: