RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Quiz: 2 NC's in HS and college

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/22/19 8:04 pm    ::: Quiz: 2 NC's in HS and college Reply Reply with quote

What current D1 coach won back-to-back national championships in high school and college?

Have any other players won two NC's in high school and college, back-to-back or otherwise?
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/22/19 9:38 pm    ::: Re: Quiz: 2 NC's in HS and college Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Have any other players won two NC's in high school and college, back-to-back or otherwise?

I can think of three other players who have won back-to-back NC's in high school and college, one of them winning back-to-back-to-back in college.
zvyn3

PostPosted: 01/22/19 10:17 pm    ::: Re: Quiz: 2 NC's in HS and college Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I can think of three other players who have won back-to-back NC's in high school and college, one of them winning back-to-back-to-back in college.

Candace Parker did.

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking state championships.

icey23

PostPosted: 01/22/19 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim Mulkey!

PostPosted: 01/22/19 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought of Mulkey too but not back to back. Also Maya but not back to back. There are a bunch of UConn players who have both.

- Amanda Gorman
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/23/19 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cheryl Miller?
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/23/19 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m confused by the question. Is High School NC an official thing? If it is I can’t find a historical list.

Also, you ask which player but then say you can name 3 others who fulfill the same parameters? A little clarification would be appreciated.

But just off the top of my head...Kellie Harper? Morgan Valley?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/23/19 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found a list, but only dating back to 2009 with no repeat winners.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/23/19 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miller is the current coach who won back to back

Chamique Holdsclaw, Candace Parker, and Tina Charles are the others to do so.
icey23

PostPosted: 01/23/19 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I thought of Mulkey too but not back to back. Also Maya but not back to back. There are a bunch of UConn players who have both.

Kim Mulkey won AIWA in 81 and NCAA in 82

PostPosted: 01/23/19 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The high school NC's are usually referred to as "mythical" because there are no actual playoffs. The determinant of the mythical high school championship has historically has been the final high school rankings by USA Today, but in more recent years MaxPreps has also crowned champions. I'm using USA Today NC references that I can find, although I haven't found the complete year-by-year USA Today list.

Tina Charles is a correct player answer, as she won USA Today mythical NC's at Christ the King in 2005 and 2006 and NC's at UConn in 2009 and 2010, all according to her UConn bio.

The coach and the two other players I definitely have in mind, in addition to Tina Charles, all also went to UConn for college.

However, Maya Moore didn't win two mythical HS NC's at Collins Hill (just one, 2007, according to Wikipedia), but did win back-to-back in college.

I have no info that Mulkey, Miller or Holdsclaw won two HS NC's, or that there was even a HS mythical championship during Mulkey's and Miller's HS years. Holdsclaw seems a mythical HS possibility at Christ the King, and she did win back-to-back-to-back in college. Sue Bird is also a two-fer possibility from CTK and UConn, though not back-to-back at UConn. If someone has a link for any of these player's HS mythical championships, I'd like to see it.

Meanwhile, the coach and two of the three other players (besides Charles) I definitely have in mind still haven't been mentioned.
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 01/23/19 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The high school NC's are usually referred to as "mythical" because there are no actual playoffs. The determinant of the mythical high school championship has historically has been the final high school rankings by USA Today, but in more recent years MaxPreps has also crowned champions. I'm using USA Today NC references that I can find, although I haven't found the complete year-by-year USA Today list.

Tina Charles is a correct player answer, as she won USA Today mythical NC's at Christ the King in 2005 and 2006 and NC's at UConn in 2009 and 2010, all according to her UConn bio.

The coach and the two other players I definitely have in mind, in addition to Tina Charles, all also went to UConn for college.

However, Maya Moore didn't win two mythical HS NC's at Collins Hill (just one, 2007, according to Wikipedia), but did win back-to-back in college.

I have no info that Mulkey, Miller or Holdsclaw won two HS NC's, or that there was even a HS mythical championship during Mulkey's and Miller's HS years. Holdsclaw seems a mythical HS possibility at Christ the King, and she did win back-to-back-to-back in college. Sue Bird is also a two-fer possibility from CTK and UConn, though not back-to-back at UConn. If someone has a link for any of these player's HS mythical championships, I'd like to see it.

Meanwhile, the coach and two of the three other players (besides Charles) I definitely have in mind still haven't been mentioned.

Pretty sure Mulkey won four straight state championships in high school. The idea of a high school national championship is a bit absurd -- though I know the polls exist. It would have been hard to argue against the Hammond teams though.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/25/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Today has been doing HS rankings the longest. I wish I could find their historical list of final winners by year.

MaxPreps has two ranking systems, one by Clay Kallam and one by computer. Maybe Clay could chime in and give his historical list of NC winners.

ESPNW has been doing rankings for several years.

GEICO has sponsored a post-season tournament since 2009 to crown a "national champion", but the highest ranked teams don't necessarily get invited or attend, probably for financial or time reasons.
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/26/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been doing them since the mid-90s but I don't have a list anywhere. I did them for Student Sports, ESPN, Sports Illustrated and MaxPreps but I'd have no idea how to find out year-by-year records.

That would be a great independent study project for a student somewhere ...

PostPosted: 01/26/19 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The coach who won back-to-back NC's in high school and college is Willnett Crockett, an assistant at Temple for the last 10 years. Her Narbonne High School in Harbor City, California, won the NC in 2000 and 2001 according to various publications. Those teams included Ebony Hoffman (USC) in 2000 and Loree Moore (UTK) in both years. Crockett won NC's at UConn in 2003 and 2004.

Tina Charles had a teammate on her high school (CTK) NC's in 2005-06 and her UConn NC's in 2009-10: Lorin Dixon.

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis won the USA Today NC at Mater Dei High School in 2010 and 2011, and won NC's at UConn in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 01/26/19 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've been doing them since the mid-90s but I don't have a list anywhere. I did them for Student Sports, ESPN, Sports Illustrated and MaxPreps but I'd have no idea how to find out year-by-year records.

That would be a great independent study project for a student somewhere ...

Clay you are clearly not as OCD or whatever as I am. I wouldn’t be surprised if I could find my votes in Robbie Po’s old poll. And they wouldn’t have interest Ed anyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: