RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CompSci87

PostPosted: 01/22/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Here's a brain teaser for everybody: if Alanna Smith continues to play the way she's been playing -- acknowledging that we still have a long way to go -- why can't she be like Emma Meesseman? We're talking about 14 ppg and 6 boards. Not superstar level, but a pretty good player. Obviously, Meesseman has the confidence and experience advantage that pretty much guarantees she'll succeed whereas Smith could get awe-struck and totally flop. But deconstructing the two players based on size, athletic ability, and skill set, they look very similar to me. Smith has good footwork and scoring ability down low, she shoots 3s reliably, and she is active on defense with decent shot-blocking ability. So, if Emma Meesseman was in this draft, where would you take her?

Alanna did pretty well playing with the Australian senior national team, including against the USA in the final where she ended up as Australia's leading scorer. (Not to say she was their best player or even second best behind Cambage. But she took her opportunities.) So I don't think "awe-struck" will happen.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t consider Team USA to be a great team defense. Players thrown together for a short amount time (unlike other national teams) doesn’t make for great team defense. All Star game, anyone? So when players like Han or whoever do well against them, I don’t necessarily think it’s something to go crazy over. Could be, but not necessarily.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/24/19 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie Young is going to be a steal in this draft if she declares. Shes every bit of an Iron woman. Shes the upgraded version of Gabby Williams at the SF position.

PostPosted: 01/24/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only care about pick 11. I'm looking for players that might still available and useful to fill the void at 3 (until Angel is fully recovered) - Sophie Cunningham, Jackie Young, Anriel Howard, Marina Mabry and anyone else that might fit. Thoughts on these players would be helpful as well as anyone else to watch in upcoming games.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/25/19 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Jackie Young is a secret to pro scouts. If she keeps playing like she did last night, it wouldn't surprise me if Young ends up a lottery pick. You're talking about a superior athlete who is also a well-rounded, complete player. Also an unselfish team player. Who else in this draft fits that description? Her one problem is that she's too deferential and unselfish. I think coaches are willing to work with that.

PostPosted: 01/25/19 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASU senior forward Kianna Ibis could be playing herself into WNBA draft

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/01/24/asu-senior-kianna-ibis-could-playing-herself-into-wnba-draft/2659099002/

Quote:
Not only is the senior forward becoming the go-to player that Arizona State women's basketball sometimes lacks, but she is playing herself into contention for the WNBA draft on April 10.

With four 20-point games out of the last five, Ibis is showing the kind of shooting range she will need to play wing as a professional, either in the U.S. or overseas. Combine that with her defense, rebounding and mobility, and she's a virtual lock to at minimum join recent Sun Devils Sophie Brunner, Quinn Dornstauder, Promise Amukamara and Becca Tobin as an international player.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State's Bridget Carleton is right at home with Cyclones

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25846947/iowa-state-bridget-carleton-right-home-cyclones

Quote:
Carleton, who is averaging career bests of 20.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 2.5 steals. She leads the No. 20 Cyclones in all those categories, plus blocks with 27. She's the only player on a Top 25 team who currently leads her squad in all five categories.

Quote:
"Playing professionally is a goal of mine, whether it's in the WNBA or overseas," said Carleton, who also wants to keep playing with the Canadian national team. "Natalie and Kia have been really helpful. I didn't know much about what professional life was like, so talking to them about the day-by-day routine, it helps prepare me. I have somewhat of an idea what it would be like, and I'm excited about the opportunity."

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/26/19 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do people think of Megan Huff of Utah? She's sort of Alanna Smith-ish, but not as good... although she actually rebounds more (9.4 vs 8.2 rpg). In terms of the next best stretch post player, Huff (32-75 .427) has made more 3's than Michigan State's Jenna Allen (23-54 .426) while shooting a nearly identical percentage. Except for a slight advantage in FG% and FT% for Allen, Huff beats her in just about every other category. Megan also looks a lot more mobile, although Jenna looks stronger. Based on RPI, the Pac-12 currently ranks above the Big Ten, so that goes in favor of Huff too. Today was the first time I got a good look at Huff, so I'm in no position to judge. However, I know there are some Pac-12 fans on this board who might have a stronger opinion.

PostPosted: 01/26/19 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Iowa State's Bridget Carleton is right at home with Cyclones

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25846947/iowa-state-bridget-carleton-right-home-cyclones

Quote:
Carleton, who is averaging career bests of 20.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 2.5 steals. She leads the No. 20 Cyclones in all those categories, plus blocks with 27. She's the only player on a Top 25 team who currently leads her squad in all five categories.

Quote:
"Playing professionally is a goal of mine, whether it's in the WNBA or overseas," said Carleton, who also wants to keep playing with the Canadian national team. "Natalie and Kia have been really helpful. I didn't know much about what professional life was like, so talking to them about the day-by-day routine, it helps prepare me. I have somewhat of an idea what it would be like, and I'm excited about the opportunity."

After watching Carleton throttle baylor in the 1st half im beginning to warm up to the possibility of her being drafted.

PostPosted: 01/26/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natisha Hiedeman
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_3_og5M5vuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My declaration that Hiedeman is a better choice as a scoring PG than Kea seems to be holding up.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/26/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Magbegor is ready to fire in first WNBL finals

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/magbegor-is-ready-to-fire-in-first-wnbl-finals-20190126-p50tua.html

Quote:
The best is yet to come for Melbourne Boomers centre Ezi Magbegor.

Quote:
But just when she was looking to cement her place at the Boomers, injury struck.

After a strong display in a win over the Capitals in Canberra, Magbegor felt something wasn't right with her hand. She was right – a broken bone meant surgery and a month on the sidelines.

"I got back quicker then initially thought but coming back from injury was tough, being out of basketball for four or five weeks was tough. Then it was about getting that touch back.

Quote:
The Boomers built their team around their experienced Opals such as Jenna O’Hea, Steph Talbot, Cayla George and WNBA import Lindsay Allen. These foundations have allowed Magbegor to play more of a supporting role.

But those experienced heads also know Magbegor has the talent to make a difference.

Quote:
While there are big things on the horizon for 2019 – including key Opals games and the possibility of being drafted to the WNBA has her eyes squarely on her first finals series.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cierra Dillard is a pretty good phone interview.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bTmeta1h8v8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think these junior season season highlights show she could be developed as a scoring PG. Given her height (similar to Ogunbowale), that’s a good thing.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AkjjYzZNJbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In this game against USF in last year’s NCAA tournament, Dillard scores 36 pts. Guess who was doing color commentary for the game? Katie Smith.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v9a1nVH9_9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is one play in a recent game. The situation: 1.1 sec left in game. Need to go the full length of the court and score to avoid going into OT. Dillard on the inbound pass. Touchdown!!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VHHrf0m4SnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I must have motivated Paris Kea. Wink

Good game in the win against ND today: 30 pts, 10 ast, 3 stl

Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/19 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I must have motivated Paris Kea. Wink

Good game in the win against ND today: 30 pts, 10 ast, 3 stl

Multiple prospects having big games today.

Cunningham 30 pts (6-8 3P), 4 reb against Auburn
McCowan 33 pts (11-16, 11-12 FT), 13 reb against Mississippi

Last edited by Shades on 01/27/19 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/27/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades,

I see you....

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/19 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Shades,

I see you....

Yes i automatically thought of shades after watching Paris Kea today. Folks better not sleep on this kid.

PostPosted: 01/28/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA09,

I was talking about how I said I wanted us to grab Natisha Hiedeman in the draft a few weeks ago🤔🤔🤔

Shades

PostPosted: 01/28/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Coach Collen was at the [ND] game, FWIW. Didn't see any other WNBA coaches, but it was pretty decent crowd so they would have been hard to spot. A lot of ND fans were there.

This was a game that was convenient for her to go to. She might possibly have season tickets like Reeve has for the Gophers. She didn’t go out of her way to scout ND players like say Reeve flying to Missouri to watch Cunningham and CRob.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/28/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA09,

I was talking about how I said I wanted us to grab Natisha Hiedeman in the draft a few weeks ago🤔🤔🤔

Yeah, I wonder why? 🤔

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/28/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades,

LMAO!!!

Randy

PostPosted: 01/28/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Coach Collen was at the [ND] game, FWIW. Didn't see any other WNBA coaches, but it was pretty decent crowd so they would have been hard to spot. A lot of ND fans were there.

This was a game that was convenient for her to go to. She might possibly have season tickets like Reeve has for the Gophers. She didn’t go out of her way to scout ND players like say Reeve flying to Missouri to watch Cunningham and CRob.

BTW the fact that Reeve flew to Atlanta to meet with Moore would seem a bit worrisome, like maybe there really is some serious issue going on not just idle chatter here in the basement.....

Shades

PostPosted: 01/28/19 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

BTW the fact that Reeve flew to Atlanta to meet with Moore would seem a bit worrisome, like maybe there really is some serious issue going on not just idle chatter here in the basement.....

She didn’t fly to ATL as far as I know. The game where Reeve watched Cunningham was in Missouri, as I just stated.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/28/19 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

You don't think that non-statement statement from the Lynx made it pretty clear that there was something going on?

PostPosted: 01/28/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

She didn’t fly to ATL as far as I know. The game where Reeve watched Cunningham was in Missouri, as I just stated.

I was going off of what justintyme posted:

Quote:
She was there in Georgia to speak face to face with Maya. Pretty sure the game was secondary and a "since we are here, might as well" two birds; one stone, type thing. Wouldn't read much more into it than that.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/19 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well Damn Randy , Receipts Much? Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 33 of 74

Jump to: