RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who are some teams exceeding your expectations?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/19/19 11:39 am    ::: Who are some teams exceeding your expectations? Reply Reply with quote

Admittedly,I don't follow a lot of teams so my expectations are often misinformed and based on a high degree of ignorance.

With that caveat, I am surprised by Clemson. Amanda Butler has the Tigers off to a 4-1 start in the ACC which includes wins over Miami and Florida State and a single-digit loss to Syracuse. Earlier in the season, Clemson played three SEC teams and had single-digit losses to South Carolina, Tennessee, and the only real blow out happening to Bama. I know nothing about the roster make up, or how many players returned, or how many new players are in the program, but I believe this is better than Clemson has done it at least a decade.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 01/19/19 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first thought is Kansas State. They've beaten Texas. All but one of their losses (a surprising one to KU) are to ranked teams. They played pretty tight with Baylor through most of that game. They've been better than I would have guessed.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/19/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see Rutgers 2 games ahead of the field in the Big Ten. That don't have impressive wins exactly (depending what you think of Maryland) but they look like the might be the class of the league.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/19/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VCU, NC State, Clemson, Rutgers, Tennessee Tech, Boston College, and (dammit!) Towson.

PostPosted: 01/19/19 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State - are they better because of Middleton or did they have injuries last year?

Boston College, Butler, Clemson, Rutgers, Utah State

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/19/19 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Butler

Marquette with a caveat. I'd say they are at or maybe slightly below expectations overall at this point (rankings are good but loss to Miami in preseason WNIT still bugs me - lost a chance at another game with that loss too). However, they have significantly exceeded my expectations for their play with all-time leading scorer and preseason BE POY Allazia Blockton out with injury - they are 6-0 in the BE with Blockton having only played 8 minutes so far during the conference season.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 01/19/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Iowa State - are they better because of Middleton or did they have injuries last year?

Freshmen Ashley Joens has made an impact and sophomore Madison Wise made a big jump this year.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/19/19 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky (minus the Ole Miss loss).

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 01/19/19 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rice is looking pretty good right now. Since Nancy Mulkey has been able to play, they are 4-0 in conference play and 8-1 with her in the lineup.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/19/19 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

Freshmen Ashley Joens has made an impact and sophomore Madison Wise made a big jump this year.

I see, she was ranked 26th on Hoopgurlz!

Howee

PostPosted: 01/19/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I second those nods to Iowa State, Towson, Clemson, Rutgers and add Indiana. I really didn't think the Hoosiers could be all that good after the departure of their 2 seniors.

PostPosted: 01/19/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Rice is looking pretty good right now. Since Nancy Mulkey has been able to play, they are 4-0 in conference play and 8-1 with her in the lineup.

I watched some of their game today against North Texas. Looks like Olivia Ogwumike is injured. Erica looked good, though.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 01/19/19 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd also like to add in Arizona and Utah in the Pac-12. I thought Arizona was going to be last or second to last in the PAC this season. They've beaten Arizona State and Cal already.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 01/19/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

I watched some of their game today against North Texas. Looks like Olivia Ogwumike is injured. Erica looked good, though.

How did Nancy Mulkey play?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/20/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know they are always ranked, but I have been pleasantly surprised by Stanford. Really didn't expect them to be a top 10 team this year.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/20/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to add Ohio and BYU. Ohio had an easy non conference schedule, but their wins over Purdue and Buffalo are impressive. BYU had a terrible loss to Southern Utah, but their only other losses are to Utah and Cal. Their win over Gonzaga was very impressive, and their follow up vs Portland was a perfect letdown opportunity. BYU came out flat and were down double digits but they went on a 16-0 run in the final 4 minutes to avoid the upset. Both of these teams could make the NCAA tournament. I didn't see that before the season started.

Also another nod to Arizona. It has been 13 years since Shawntenice Polk died and the program hasn't been the same. I thought Arizona was still at least a year away but Aari McDonald and Cate Reese both look really good. I have actually been more impressed with Arizona than Utah even though the Utes won their first meeting. But that may be because when I saw Utah in Las Vegas they didn't play that well.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 01/20/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

She was pretty good, but missed a lot of bunnies. Still very thin and doesn't seem strong or flexible.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/21/19 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

She was pretty good, but missed a lot of bunnies. Still very thin and doesn't seem strong or flexible.

Never will be, I fear. Probably not a good nutritionist there, and either can't or won't spend enough time in the weight room. Maybe not a good strength and conditioning coach either.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee. I expected them to suck but they have exceeded my expectations and suck magna summa double laude.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/22/19 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Norfolk State. Undefeated in MEAC play this year.

PostPosted: 01/24/19 8:41 pm    ::: Re: Who are some teams exceeding your expectations? Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Admittedly,I don't follow a lot of teams so my expectations are often misinformed and based on a high degree of ignorance.

With that caveat, I am surprised by Clemson. Amanda Butler has the Tigers off to a 4-1 start in the ACC which includes wins over Miami and Florida State and a single-digit loss to Syracuse. Earlier in the season, Clemson played three SEC teams and had single-digit losses to South Carolina, Tennessee, and the only real blow out happening to Bama. I know nothing about the roster make up, or how many players returned, or how many new players are in the program, but I believe this is better than Clemson has done it at least a decade.

I agree with you on Clemson, and we have to say possibly that Butler was a bit underrated as a WCBB coach. Having said that, Clemson lost by 12 points to both South Carolina and Tennessee.

But having said THAT, Clemson is currently leading undefeated 8th-ranked NC State (18-0) 51-50 late in the 4th Period. Butler really has Clemson playing hard and confidently...

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/24/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice article about Butler in the Indy paper:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2019/01/23/butler-womens-basketball-contending-big-east-title-ncaa-tournament-berth/2656578002/

Thought I'd post it here since they are a team exceeding expectations this year

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:

Rice is now 7-0 in Conference. Tina Langley is doing a great job there.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/27/19 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Relative to Utah, who's the recent story about Megan Huff, The Utes leading scorer and rebounder.

She started her collegiate career as a volleyball player in Hawaii. The article explains how she got around to taking a basketball and going to Utah.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/01/24/megan-huff-utahs-quiet/

willtalk

PostPosted: 01/30/19 9:26 pm    ::: Re: Who are some teams exceeding your expectations? Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------But having said THAT, Clemson is currently leading undefeated 8th-ranked NC State (18-0) 51-50 late in the 4th Period. Butler really has Clemson playing hard and confidently...
Butler should be coaching Butler.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: