RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the Hot Seat 2018-19
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/07/18 2:37 pm    ::: Coaches on the Hot Seat 2018-19 Reply Reply with quote

Too early you say? What about Stephanie White? Can't keep players and last night her team gets hammered by a team in its firs D-I game? I'd say they're bound for the cellar of the SEC and Steph is on her way out of Nashville, maybe even before the end of the season.

PostPosted: 11/07/18 2:50 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat 2018-19 Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Too early you say? What about Stephanie White? Can't keep players and last night her team gets hammered by a team in its firs D-I game? I'd say they're bound for the cellar of the SEC and Steph is on her way out of Nashville, maybe even before the end of the season.

Do you think Vandy is going to cough up the cash to replace her early? I doubt it.

When does her contract run out?

Problem must be that Peck left. Razz Razz Razz

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/08/18 9:49 am    ::: Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat 2018-19 Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Do you think Vandy is going to cough up the cash to replace her early? I doubt it.

When does her contract run out?

Problem must be that Peck left. Razz Razz Razz

It's season #3 of a 6-year contract.

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/08/18 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes. Not sure anyone expected Vanderbilt to be this bad. Even the BC transfer didn’t appear elite in the game I saw. Let’s see if they improve over the season

How much time does White realistically have? Thought this was a slam dunk hurt (whoops)

basketballologist

PostPosted: 11/08/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEC:
Kristy Curry (Alabama)
Terri Williams-Flournoy (Auburn)
Nikki Caldwell (LSU)
Holly Warlick (Tennessee)
Stephanie White (Vanderbilt)

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/08/18 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
SEC:
Kristy Curry (Alabama)
Nikki Caldwell (LSU)

About three months ago, Holly Warlick's contract was extended by three years. I cannot imagine her being back on the hot seat so soon.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24341736/tennessee-lady-vols-coach-holly-warlick-receives-3-year-contract-extension

PostPosted: 11/09/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
SEC:
Kristy Curry (Alabama)
Nikki Caldwell (LSU)

Why would you think Curry would be on the hot seat? She's had improvements each year at Alabama, led them to their best SEC finish since the 2001-02 season, and had back to back 20 win seasons for the first time in 20 years.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/10/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maren Walseth has two seasons left on her contract in Fargo. The word is she'll at least get through this season and next season they may buy her out but we will see as NDSU does have some athletic capital projects in the works and may want to add the burden of paying two coaches to the outlay of resources.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/10/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MCGUFF

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/10/18 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
MCGUFF

I think he's safe this year. His contract is through 2020. He'll likely suck this year and next so 2020 may be his last hurrah; save that he's bringing in a decent recruiting class this Fall.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/10/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
SEC:
Kristy Curry (Alabama)
Nikki Caldwell (LSU)

About three months ago, Holly Warlick's contract was extended by three years. I cannot imagine her being back on the hot seat so soon.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24341736/tennessee-lady-vols-coach-holly-warlick-receives-3-year-contract-extension

As did Caldwell for 3 years.

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/10/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Flo has a nice group this year - just watched their last game. Very athletic and tough and I think they will improve on last season.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/11/18 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I normally don't comment on mids cuz I have no clue about contracts but I'll make an exception cuz things are UGLY in New Rochelle with billi (godsey) Chambers and Iona

Win a title with a blend of Bozellas last class her first class and a good transfer even with the old guard gone she had a good self recruited core that should have been too 5 in the maac....two years later she runs off the emotional leader...doesn't run plays for her stars clay and Lewis and an only beat at peters...this year she returns FOUR of a roster of 11 (graduated only one sr) including losing her too recruit and fills holes with late signers and a grad transfer...no discipline a group of individuals and a coach who doesn't care....this is a school who was overshadowed by Marist but was always a contender for the past 15 years with many but appearances and the one title she got...now they're a mess the old coach took her best player Lewis to play at any and most everyone transferred with her....she's not even playing those who stayed

MADDIE GOTTA GO!!!!!

PostPosted: 11/13/18 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
SEC:
Kristy Curry (Alabama)
Nikki Caldwell (LSU)

As did Caldwell for 3 years.

Creating this list should not be about a fan's thoughts as to whether he/she thinks this coach is on the hot seat, but rather a presentation of the reasons why a coach may be on the hot seat with some additional information about contract status.

Generally, signing contract extensions in the weeks/months before precludes someone from being on the hot seat.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/19/19 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without knowing contract specifics for some of these programs, at a minimum the poor conference record may start fueling speculation on hot seat status at these schools.

UMBC Retrievers 7-10 record, 0-4 conference record. Phil Stern has been the head coach for 17 years but was placed on leave of absence in December.

Richmond Spiders 3-14 record, 0-4 conference record. Michael Shafer has been the head coach since 2005-2006 season and had made the NIT five years in a row, from 2008-2009 season to 2012-2013 season. From 2013-2014 to this year though there has been 1 postseason appearance and counting this season, the rest of the 5 years has ended with losing records.

North Carolina Tar Heels 10-8 record, 1-3 conference record. Sylvia Hatchell is a hall of famer but if UNC does not qualify for the NCAA tournament this season, it will be four years in a row of no NCAAs. Maybe she is someone who could retire as opposed to being let go?

Wake Forest 9-8 record, 0-4 conference record. This is year 7 for the Wake Forest coach and they have never finished better than 9th in the ACC. They did make the NIT 2nd round two years in a row in 2016 and 2017 but last year no postseason and this year may be the same.

Lipscomb 2-15 record, 0-4 conference record. Current coach been there since 2012-2013 season.

Xavier 10-7 record, 1-5 conference record. Xavier coach been there since 2013-2014 season. 3-15 conference record last year, 4-14 the year before

Penn State 9-8 record, 2-4 conference record. This will likely be the fifth year in a row Penn State does not make the NCAA tournament. From 2011 to 2014 Penn State made the tournament four years in a row including round of 32 twice and sweet 16 twice.

Loyola (MD) - 1-15 record, 0-5 conference record, coach has been there since 2005-2006 season.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/22/19 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

North Carolina Tar Heels 10-8 record, 1-3 conference record. Sylvia Hatchell is a hall of famer but if UNC does not qualify for the NCAA tournament this season, it will be four years in a row of no NCAAs. Maybe she is someone who could retire as opposed to being let go?

Per the last two-year extension she signed, her contract runs through the 2019-20 season.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/22/19 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Without knowing contract specifics for some of these programs, at a minimum the poor conference record may start fueling speculation on hot seat status at these schools.

UMBC Retrievers 7-10 record, 0-4 conference record. Phil Stern has been the head coach for 17 years but was placed on leave of absence in December.

Richmond Spiders 3-14 record, 0-4 conference record. Michael Shafer has been the head coach since 2005-2006 season and had made the NIT five years in a row, from 2008-2009 season to 2012-2013 season. From 2013-2014 to this year though there has been 1 postseason appearance and counting this season, the rest of the 5 years has ended with losing records.

Wake Forest 9-8 record, 0-4 conference record. This is year 7 for the Wake Forest coach and they have never finished better than 9th in the ACC. They did make the NIT 2nd round two years in a row in 2016 and 2017 but last year no postseason and this year may be the same.

Lipscomb 2-15 record, 0-4 conference record. Current coach been there since 2012-2013 season.

Xavier 10-7 record, 1-5 conference record. Xavier coach been there since 2013-2014 season. 3-15 conference record last year, 4-14 the year before

Penn State 9-8 record, 2-4 conference record. This will likely be the fifth year in a row Penn State does not make the NCAA tournament. From 2011 to 2014 Penn State made the tournament four years in a row including round of 32 twice and sweet 16 twice.

Loyola (MD) - 1-15 record, 0-5 conference record, coach has been there since 2005-2006 season.

If the Xavier coach isn't on the hot seat, that tells me Xavier really doesn't care about Women's Basketball. What's Melanie Balcomb doing now Smile? She really had that program doing well before she left for Vandy.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/22/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

If the Xavier coach isn't on the hot seat, that tells me Xavier really doesn't care about Women's Basketball. What's Melanie Balcomb doing now Smile? She really had that program doing well before she left for Vandy.

There's a whole lot of "schools that don't give a FF about women's basketball" going around. Hello 8-9 (0-5 ACC) Duke. Stuck with this GD freak of a BAD coach for two more years. Will there be anybody but player families in the stands by then?

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Tennessee does not get a tournament invite, will that force the administration to act and replace Holly?

Nobody could sit back and ignore what I think would be the very first NCAA tournament without the Lady Vols. Do I think Tennessee may end up with a pathetic enough record to be left out? Absolutely yes. Do I think the Committee has the guts to leave them out? I doubt it, no matter how undeserving they might be.

Feb 3, the "Battle For The Bottom" between Tenn and Vandy is set for 3pm on ESPN2. Don't miss it.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/23/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Tennessee finishes 5-11 or worse in the SEC they'll be out for sure. If they can manage 7-9 they're in. At 6-10 they're a bubble team.

PostPosted: 01/23/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If Tennessee finishes 5-11 or worse in the SEC they'll be out for sure. If they can manage 7-9 they're in. At 6-10 they're a bubble team.

I suspect their "bubble" is bigger than other team's.

It would be a really big deal to leave them out. All the precedent, RPIs, and computer models pale in comparison to the name Lady Vols.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/23/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
There's a whole lot of "schools that don't give a FF about women's basketball" going around. Hello 8-9 (0-5 ACC) Duke. Stuck with this GD freak of a BAD coach for two more years. Will there be anybody but player families in the stands by then?

Per the last two-year extension she signed, her contract runs through the end of the 2020-21 season. Given that she makes more than $900,000 per year, I cannot see Duke buying her out after this year, with two years remaining on the contract.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/23/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the criticism of Duke is completely valid, but I think you have to throw North Carolina into that discussion of schools who don't seem to care about women's basketball. They haven't been relevant in a long time. I thought that once Hatchell got her 1,000th win, she'd retire, but I guess not.

Their sloppy style of play is not pleasing to watch, and look at how many UNC players who underperformed in college are not only in the WNBA, but excelling. Another program that has the resources and name to be much better than it is.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/23/19 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's tough, because with legendary coaches how long do you give them to rebuild?

Sylvia Hatchell and C. Viv have been around forever. Rutgers has certainly under performed in recent years (Remember when they went 6-24 in 2018-2017?) ; however, they seem to be on the upswing again this season.

Holy. I just looked. Sylvia hasn't had a winning season since 2014-2015? Alisha Gray and Stephanie Mavunga were Tar Heels then.

I mean, yes, the academic scandal aside, that's shocking to look at.

Otherwise, the Tonya Cardoza experiment at Temple is in flames. KBA at Michigan is probably heating up slightly because they're failing to do much this season with Hallie Thome.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/24/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Per the last two-year extension she signed, her contract runs through the 2019-20 season.

Per HighPostHoops:

Quote:
The previous two seasons, and the current one, have been a different story. After failing to get out of the first weekend for two consecutive seasons, calls for Warlick’s jobs grew louder. Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer went the other way, however, giving her an extension that took her contract through the 2021-22 season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: