RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ideal size for a WNBA arena?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/14/19 10:14 am    ::: Ideal size for a WNBA arena? Reply Reply with quote

Posts on another thread got me thinking ...

So the big NBA arenas are too big. WCC and most likely the Mystics' new facility are too small.

I think a 10,000- to 12,000-seat arena is too big as well, as I don't think there's ever been a WNBA team that had close to that many actual bodies in seats more than once or twice a season.

My sense has always been that the teams that draw well put about 4,500 in the stands on a regular basis, but of course you want to have some wiggle room. (That said, there's nothing like selling out and having people not be able to get into a game to generate interest and season ticket sales.)

So I'd say a 7,500-seat arena would make the most sense to me. You'd be more than half full most of the time and get a few sellouts each year ...

PostPosted: 01/14/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

8000-10000

Gotta leave some room for growth

PostPosted: 01/14/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, around 10k would work fine. But I do also think there's value in the perception of being a proper, big-time league when you play at places like MSG or Staples. Very few people give a damn about the NBA's G-League, and playing in out-of-the-way places in small gyms just feeds in to that feeling that it's kinda small-time, so why should you care? When the WNBA joins in and plays in Westchester or that DC gym that the Mystics are sharing with the Go-Go, the whole league feels like the G-League or Arena football or whatever - something you just ignore because it's of little consequence. Play in proper arenas and you look like a proper league.

And honestly, if you curtain off the top level of these arenas and get the lighting right, they often don't feel much different from actual 10-12k arenas - if you can actually come close to filling what's left. The only issue then is how much more the rent costs on the big places than on something smaller.

PostPosted: 01/14/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good points

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/14/19 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
8000-10000

Gotta leave some room for growth

Yes, me thinks we are on an upswing.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/14/19 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mohegan Sun is the ideal arena for the WNBA. I'd prefer something that has the option to expand to 13k-14k for when a team reaches the playoffs or finals as tickets demand increaes then.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/14/19 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mohegan Sun is the ideal arena for the WNBA. I'd prefer something that has the option to expand to 13k-14k for when a team reaches the playoffs or finals as tickets demand increaes then.

It is also ideal because the team and the arena have the same ownership.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/14/19 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that 8-10k is the ideal size for a WNBA arena.
(The reason I nominated 10-12k in the other thread was out of consideration for it being used for other purposes as well, such as concerts. With Barclays ~ 18k and MSG ~ 20k I think a new arena would be more viable at 10-12 even though it wouldn't be 100% perfect for the Libs)

I also think that location/accessibility is more important than size/design when it comes to attracting people to regular events.
When Perth got its new (13.5k) arena I really thought the men's basketball team would struggle to be viable there after previously playing in a 4.2k stadium, but they nailed the location for car/bus/train access and we get the highest attendances in the league now.

PostPosted: 01/14/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't believe this even required a thread as 2,300 is clearly the ideal size. The County Center, the only building in the league to accommodate this ideal size, is so intimate. Who cares if about one-third to one-half of the seats are partially obstructed.

PostPosted: 01/14/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Can't believe this even required a thread as 2,300 is clearly the ideal size. The County Center, the only building in the league to accommodate this ideal size, is so intimate. Who cares if about one-third to one-half of the seats are partially obstructed.

Lol or Adam Silver hijacked your account

PostPosted: 01/15/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say a team wants an arena sized so that 80-90% of the seats are occupied by fans that are actually paying for tickets. It makes little sense to size an arena for non paying customers. That would allow the teams to charge more per seat and there would be more of an excitement factor at the games. So it would be different for each team. I'd guess than at least 25%* of all attendance are freebies (if not outright lies) so I'd put the number at 5-6k for the average team. As Luuc noted though - location is probably the most important variable. Sadly, it seems that no matter the size of the arena - WNBA teams can never get it more than 1/2 to 2/3 full.

*because 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Wink

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/15/19 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I agree that 8-10k is the ideal size for a WNBA arena.
(The reason I nominated 10-12k in the other thread was out of consideration for it being used for other purposes as well, such as concerts. With Barclays ~ 18k and MSG ~ 20k I think a new arena would be more viable at 10-12 even though it wouldn't be 100% perfect for the Libs)

I also think that location/accessibility is more important than size/design when it comes to attracting people to regular events.
When Perth got its new (13.5k) arena I really thought the men's basketball team would struggle to be viable there after previously playing in a 4.2k stadium, but they nailed the location for car/bus/train access and we get the highest attendances in the league now.

Best case scenarios:
-- 8-10K capacity
-- Same ownership of the team and the arena (e.g., CT Sun, Las Vegas Aces)
-- Great transportation access

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/15/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Key Arena was pretty perfect for the Storm. The upper level could be opened up when needed.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/15/19 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Key Arena was pretty perfect for the Storm. The upper level could be opened up when needed.

How much did the lower bowl hold at Key...9600?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/15/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
craigmont wrote:

How much did the lower bowl hold at Key...9600?

Yes.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/17/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK,

I think perfect arena is the CPC, this has been the opinion of many in and around the league!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/17/19 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
ClayK,

I think perfect arena is the CPC, this has been the opinion of many in and around the league!

The CPC Center at UT-Arlington?
It is 21 miles from Dallas. Is it accessible by light rail or other public transportation?
Is there a large support base in Arlington or with the university?

Have to disagree with you about this being "the opinion of many in and around the league." Per my league insiders, Mohegan Sun is the model arena due to size of the venue, ownership of the venue being the same as the team (which means lower costs for things such as security, etc. as that is already there, along with concessions, etc.; also no need to pay rent for use of the venue, since the ownership group of the team owns the venue), location in a hotbed for women's hoops, etc.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/17/19 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, I tried 😜

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/17/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
ClayK,

It is 21 miles from Dallas. Is it accessible by light rail or other public transportation?

Have to disagree with you about this being "the opinion of many in and around the league." Per my league insiders, Mohegan Sun is the model arena due to size of the venue, ownership of the venue being the same as the team (which means lower costs for things such as security, etc. as that is already there, along with concessions, etc.; also no need to pay rent for use of the venue, since the ownership group of the team owns the venue), location in a hotbed for women's hoops, etc.

CPC is a good sized arena but in the wrong area of town. Its located where the money is. Cowboy stadium literally 5 minutes away. Ballpark in Arlington for the Rangers 7 minutes away so i get the idea but the Dallas mavs play in Downtown dallas in which you are correct 21 minutes away from CPC arlington, Tx. Tbh i have to leave an hour and 30 minutes just to make tip off due to distance. I live in Uptown Dallas btw.

PostPosted: 01/17/19 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
ClayK,

Well, the Mohegan Sun is further away (44.6 miles) from the Hartford UConn fans than UT Arlington is from Dallas, so more near a hotbed. But it is non-Metro driving so probably easier to go those 44 miles than to go 15 miles on a weeknight in rush hour everywhere else.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/18/19 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09,

Daaaaaaammmuuuhhh, you live Uptown, I had a feeling you were balling like that, but you can tell by alot of your postings that you have a down to earth personality!

I certainly understand how difficult it is with the commute by having to leave work in GP, be trapped in the absolute maddness of 360 to 20 to 287 to Mansfield, shower and get dressed, then turn around and do the whole entire process over again back to Arlington! I'm lucky to make it there before the second quarter is over during the weekday games, that's why I pray for the most weekend games as possible!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: