RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/11/19 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder about the Astou Ndour parallels for Magbegor. Everyone gets all excited by the numbers, size and athleticism at a young age, but the basketball skills never really develop that much and other players catch up and go past. Of course Magbegor still has plenty of time (and so does Ndour, really, at only 24), but given the hype in some circles, you'd like to see her producing much more at WNBL level. When fringe WNBA players like Kelsey Griffin and Asia Taylor are MVP candidates, a supposed WNBA lottery pick should be producing serious numbers, even at 19 years old.

I really think you can only contemplate her that high if you've talked yourself out of the American options being much good. Then I guess you could value the hypothetical development she could make in the 2-3 years she still has to come over the more finished articles in the NCAA.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I've said before, Ezi looks great when she's actually doing something. If basketball were a beauty contest, she'd be a winner. I can understand how passivity and indecisiveness might overtake a player who doesn't get consistent minutes. What's puzzling is why her coaches don't use Magbegor more. Is it defense? Rebounding? Is it because she doesn't understand the offense and is too often in the wrong place? Someone good enough to make the national team shouldn't have trouble finding playing time on a regular WNBL team.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bump

PostPosted: 01/11/19 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Ezi dropping past #13 to Phoenix. She's not a lottery pick, not even close.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/11/19 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
“I want to be the best player I can be, so I don’t want anything that’s in my control to be the reason I’m not the player I’m capable of being,” Shepard said. “It’s something I can control.”

The Irish forward credits a discussion with Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve last September, when Shepard was participating in the USA Women’s National Team training camp in Columbia, S.C.

“We were just talking about my goals for the next level and what I need to do to accomplish them,” Shepard said of Reeve, who has steered the Lynx to four WNBA titles in the last eight years and owns the best winning percentage in league history. “I think one of the biggest things we agreed on was just getting my body right.

She said the biggest difference between me being good and great was that.

Oh no! Conspiracy SpaceJunkie now thinks Reeve has had in-depth discussions with the President of the National Jessica Shepard Fan Club, Howard Megdal, about how Shepard is the first player who has never played for or against the Detroit Shock she loves and Megdal tells her back how Shepard is the greatest player ever and will be the best Lynx player of all time, and that's how she's locked into #6 on his mock draft. Very Happy Well, at least it's not drafting a guard. Smile

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 01/12/19 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
My point would be that ideally the top two or three picks would be able to play both ends of the floor.

Are any such players available in this draft?

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/12/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
ClayK wrote:
My point would be that ideally the top two or three picks would be able to play both ends of the floor.

Bingo ... which leads me to believe that though this appears to be a reasonably deep draft, I don't think there's anyone who can step in right away and be a major contributor. The scorers don't defend, at this point, and it will take them a couple of years to figure that part of the game out -- and the scorers will also be facing far superior defensive talent than they have so far.

PostPosted: 01/12/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It depends on what you mean by 'major contributor', but there'll end up being somebody. Brittney Sykes put up 14p/4r in 25mpg as a rookie, and there are certainly players in this draft who'd be considered better players than she was coming out of college. As usual, ending up on the right team with the right fit will be as important as how good the players actually are (for everyone below the true superstar level). It certainly feels like one of those rare drafts where the #1 won't be an odds-on favourite to win the RotY award.

PostPosted: 01/12/19 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of those rare drafts like when a guard was chosen #1, in 2015 or 2017?
This is different because there’s a lot of good instead of a lot of mediocre.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/12/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other thing to remember is that rookies, in general, are considered weak pro defenders even if they were good college defenders. This is especially true with perimeter players. Essence Carson was a three-time Big East Defensive Player Of The Year back when the Big East was a powerhouse. She still struggled on defense early in her career. I think it's the default assumption of scouts that college players will need to learn how to play defense properly at the next level. What they're more likely assessing is the physical ability to play defense -- size, strength, quickness, etcetera -- as well as the willingness. I remember people on this board killed a young Maya Moore for her defense when she took a trip to Europe with the senior USA Team. This was right after college or right before she left. I seem to remember the complaints continued through her rookie year. Bad defense certainly didn't hurt Moore's draft status.

PostPosted: 01/12/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
McCowan 18 pts, 21 reb inc 13 off reb, 2 blk in tonight’s game against GA.
Looks like she’s the #1 pick.

Maybe she can work with A'ja, though many think A'ja is better without a traditional center clogging up the middle. Still teams will more likely double Wilson, and perhaps that will leave McC open under the basket. I dunno.

She could get NCAA POY based on numbers. But I can say that 7-16 shooting when none of her shots were from more than 2' doesn't inspire me. And probably 6 of those o-boards were off her own 2' misses. I saw zero footwork in that game and I think Georgia's tall girl (who nobody is claiming to be great) blocked her at least 4 times because she just turns and shoots with no footwork. But I did see her actually jump once and score on an inbound play. That basket may even have been from 4 or 5'. It was her most impressive anyway. She also tends to dawdle on the way downcourt. I suspect running teams with running centers will just flat out outrun her. There may be hope for her, but I can't see any pro center letting her camp out continuously at 2' from the basket. Therefore there will definitely be a learning curve. Is she capable of learning? Then she could maybe turn into a Sylvia Fowles type player eventually - I don't think Syl had much in the way of footwork or finesse coming out of college. But it also took her several years to develop.

Truthfully I have no idea who will be #1 this year, which is why I said Big Bill might just trade down. I'm not convinced he will want a project at #1.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/12/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Truthfully I have no idea who will be #1 this year, which is why I said Big Bill might just trade down. I'm not convinced he will want a project at #1.

Problem is that they won't want to do that until they know Ionescu definitely isn't an option - so if they trade down it won't be until the final days around the draft. It'll limit the trade options a bit when everyone's already gone through free agency and most of the offseason before you're genuinely ready to talk deals.

PostPosted: 01/12/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea what Ionescu is going to do this spring but if she has any desire to play in Las Vegas then she should leave college after this season. If she waits until 2020 then she might end up in Chicago. Wink

PostPosted: 01/12/19 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:
Word on the Ohio board is that Brian Agler was in Athens on Wednesday to scout Central Michigan's Reyna Frost, who holds the MAC career rebounding record. She's added 3-point range this year, which may have upgraded her stock. And Agler couldn't have helped but notice Presley Hudson's performance, who has become much more than an outside shooter. She's also got the 'tude.

He might not have been there to scout. Doesn’t he frequent these games?
Of course, Agler tends to overload on the draft invites to camp. Wouldn’t be surprised if she got an invite.

Hudson was a fav on my fantasy team for a couple of years, so I've watched her quite a bit. She's a nice college player but in no way a W player. Not enough quicks and struggles to guard anybody even at their level. Frost may be closer, but she's not as good as Tinara Moore, who couldn't make it. It's just too big of a step up.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/12/19 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I have no idea what Ionescu is going to do this spring but if she has any desire to play in Las Vegas then she should leave college after this season. If she waits until 2020 then she might end up in Chicago. Wink

that would break your heart right?

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/13/19 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Jackie Young

PostPosted: 01/13/19 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

No. My heart has already been broken by you know who. All the kings men and women will not be able to fix it. Only Jehovah can heal it.

PostPosted: 01/13/19 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

No. My heart has already been broken by you know who. All the kings men and women will not be able to fix it. Only Jehovah can heal it.

Chicago may not be a lottery team. Probably Indiana, New York, Dallas(if Cambage doesn't show) & either Chicago or possibly Minnesota depending on what FAs Reeve brings in.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/13/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn’t underestimate a fully rested Maya. She’ll probably be back to being capable of putting the team on her back. I kinda wonder what’s up with Fowles’ elbow though. If the Lynx are keeping the #6 pick, I hope Dull is right and nobody is interested in McCowan until she falls to the Lynx.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/13/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Syracuse's Tiana Mangakahia had a triple double (34p-10a-10r) against UNC.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/13/19 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Caliya Robinson has played her way into being a second round pick.

Interesting. Big Bill was at the UCLA-Oregon game. Not sure who he'd be looking at. Ionescu maybe...if she declares. Cazorla maybe for a later round pick if he manages to trade MoJeff? I don't think Drummer, Burke or Dean can be W players.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 01/13/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Syracuse's Tiana Mangakahia had a triple double (34p-10a-10r) against UNC.

Another possible early entry. Considering the lack of PGs in this draft, I think she's likely to enter and go in the 2nd round.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/14/19 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Interesting. Big Bill was at the UCLA-Oregon game. Not sure who he'd be looking at. Ionescu maybe...if she declares. Cazorla maybe for a later round pick if he manages to trade MoJeff? I don't think Drummer, Burke or Dean can be W players.

Down from first or up from 3rd round I wasn't all that impressed with her against the LV yesterday. The Dream often seem to go for a player from a local school in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't think she is as good as Billings or Dantas but she might get taken at 23 anyway.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/14/19 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Down from first or up from 3rd round I wasn't all that impressed with her against the LV yesterday. The Dream often seem to go for a player from a local school in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't think she is as good as Billings or Dantas but she might get taken at 23 anyway.

I need to see her more, but so far I've been similarly unimpressed with Robinson. Good athlete with legitimate shot-blocking ability, but the rest of her game ranges from mediocre to suspect.

On a different topic, I seem to be the Kristine Anigwe jinx. I've watched her six times this season, and based on her game logs those look like the six worst games she has played this year. So, do I continue watching and ruin her season or should I leave the poor girl alone? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 01/14/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I’ve had her rock steady in my mock at #23.

She has a low energy sleepy style to her. Relies on great timing over high energy. Kinda reminds me of EWill. Thrift store version.

<iframe width="630" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VEigBmLI9ow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 27 of 74

Jump to: