RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/19 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I like both Durr and Ogunbowale I think Durr gets the nod in the rankings because she is a little bigger and has a more consistent 3 point shot. I think Alike has better handles and a bit more "it" factor. I think both at the next level will be scorers but both have enough skill and breakdown game to at least pretend to be pgs 10 minutes a night similar to say Pondexter or Prince

I would probably pick Durr over Ogunbowale but won't be shocked if Ogunbowale is a slightly better pro.

Is Durr really bigger? Arike loos stronger and they both seem about the same height .

PostPosted: 01/10/19 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
I like both Durr and Ogunbowale I think Durr gets the nod in the rankings because she is a little bigger and has a more consistent 3 point shot. I think Alike has better handles and a bit more "it" factor. I think both at the next level will be scorers but both have enough skill and breakdown game to at least pretend to be pgs 10 minutes a night similar to say Pondexter or Prince

I would probably pick Durr over Ogunbowale but won't be shocked if Ogunbowale is a slightly better pro.

Is Durr really bigger? Arike loos stronger and they both seem about the same height .

Durr is bigger on paper 5' 10" vs 5'8" but I agree that Arike looks more solidly built. I like them both. I am now absolutely considering Ogunbowale at #2 as well.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/10/19 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
McCowan 18 pts, 21 reb inc 13 off reb, 2 blk in tonight’s game against GA.
Looks like she’s the #1 pick.

I have kept McCowan at #1 in y mock all season (barring Ionescu declaring) but had been more pro Brown for the Liberty in NY goes with a big at #2, but I am changing my mind. I still prefer going with a scorer for the Liberty because I want more offense and excitement for our team if we do go big I am now leaning towards McCowan. Her defense and rebounding will translate to the next level and with Charles as our #1 option and #1 post option as well as Charles game moving further from the basket I would take McCowan's rebounding and defense over Brown's more polished post game for NY, if we go big. Though I stell prefer Durr, Ogunbowale or an early entry Ionescu

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/11/19 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arike Ogunbowale 8-15 2-4 From 3 = 30 pts 6 assists 5 rebs

Asia Durr 9-20 1-8 From 3 = 29 pts 2 assists 6 rebs

Both players played the full 40 minutes tonight. The consensus was Arike was the chucker it seems we may have been bamboozled.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe a little perspective is in order? Ogunbowale's supporting cast is way better than Durr's. All four of the other ND starters are being discussed as at least high second round picks if not first round picks. Which of Durr's Louisville teammates are anywhere near that level? Asia is pushing the boulder uphill without reliable help. There were times when none of her teammates looked like they even wanted to take a shot -- especially with three starters on the bench. Not only does that mean more defensive attention on Durr, but the physical toll itself accumulates and wears you down. It isn't as simple as merely comparing stats between the two players.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 4:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arike barely had to do anything in the 1st half and ND was just fine. If Durr does that it's a complete blowout. She had to do everything that game.

That said, both players look like lottery picks to me. Could end up being the top 2.

What are Shepard and Mabrey supposed to do at the WNBA level btw?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/11/19 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND starters and where they'll likely get drafted:

Ogunbowale: #4 - #8
Jackie Young: #7 - #11
Brianna Turner: #8 - #14
Jessica Shepard: #11 - #18
Marina Mabrey: late second round - early third round

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/11/19 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
The Ezi-bashers aren’t going to like seeing her this high.

This isn't about "Ezi-bashers."

Ok I'll bite because I'm very curious when it comes to aussies. Where can I find these Ezi-bashers?

PostPosted: 01/11/19 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
The Ezi-bashers aren’t going to like seeing her this high.

This isn't about "Ezi-bashers."

Ok I'll bite because I'm very curious when it comes to aussies. Where can I find these Ezi-bashers?

I think it's supposed to be me and Richyyy. Myrtle also said something recently. Why? What are you going to do to us? I know karate... and several other dangerous words.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word on the Ohio board is that Brian Agler was in Athens on Wednesday to scout Central Michigan's Reyna Frost, who holds the MAC career rebounding record. She's added 3-point range this year, which may have upgraded her stock. And Agler couldn't have helped but notice Presley Hudson's performance, who has become much more than an outside shooter. She's also got the 'tude.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale can definitely make shots, but she showed a complete lack of interest in using her strength and athleticism to play defense.

Durr is a little more well-rounded in that regard, I think.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've only seen Frost once, but she made a good impression. A very determined player. She always seems to come away with rebounds, usually based on good positioning. However, Frost is a classic tweener (6-0) who has to make the transition from PF to SF. Adding the 3Pt shot helps a lot. I remember Reyna as a decent passer, but she didn't handle the ball very much.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]Arike Ogunbowale 8-15 2-4 From 3 = 30 pts 6 assists 5 rebs

Asia Durr 9-20 1-8 From 3 = 29 pts 2 assists 6 rebs

Both players played the full 40 minutes tonight. The consensus was Arike was the chucker it seems we may have been bamboozled.[/quote]

AO against Uconn 6/18 0/6 on 3. Neither ND or Louisville played well defensively last night although Louisville were hampered by fouls.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/11/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

You do realize Durr is shooting 31% from 3 right and thats from the college line? Sure Ogunnerbrawler is only 30% from 3 but neither are what you would call consistent.

Plus, this is not aimed at you J-spoon but do some of you even look at the other end both are terrible defenders. Their positioning is when can I cheat to get a cherry pick steal, never in help and walk around until they can get something for themselves.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/11/19 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Ogunbowale can definitely make shots, but she showed a complete lack of interest in using her strength and athleticism to play defense.

Coaches will invariably back themselves to be able to teach someone how to play defense, though. Being able to create your own shot - and hit it reasonably frequently - is something that can be hard to find.

Agler won titles with players like Bird, Gray and Toliver in his backcourt, Reeve won them with Whalen and Augustus - the good coaches can build the defense once they've got the athletes and the talent.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Word on the Ohio board is that Brian Agler was in Athens on Wednesday to scout Central Michigan's Reyna Frost, who holds the MAC career rebounding record. She's added 3-point range this year, which may have upgraded her stock. And Agler couldn't have helped but notice Presley Hudson's performance, who has become much more than an outside shooter. She's also got the 'tude.

He might not have been there to scout. Doesn’t he frequent these games?
Of course, Agler tends to overload on the draft invites to camp. Wouldn’t be surprised if she got an invite.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/11/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THIS is true Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/11/19 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Coaches will invariably back themselves to be able to teach someone how to play defense, though. Being able to create your own shot - and hit it reasonably frequently - is something that can be hard to find.

Agler won titles with players like Bird, Gray and Toliver in his backcourt, Reeve won them with Whalen and Augustus - the good coaches can build the defense once they've got the athletes and the talent.

I would rather have a highly skilled offensive player than a defensive non-scorer any day.

Even major pro defenders were big scorers in college. Armentie Price Herrington being the prime example in my mind.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/11/19 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point would be that ideally the top two or three picks would be able to play both ends of the floor.

Of course you'd figure out a way to make it work with Ogunbowale or Ionescu, but you'd rather not have to. And that said, it would appear that Ogunbowale might be able to be a better defender than Ionescu if she tried harder. Then again, you have to wonder why a player isn't trying hard on defense already ...

PostPosted: 01/11/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bingo. Neither has ever tried. Not having any good base on defensive principles is a big red flag. The W coaches do not have the time to teach those on top of offensive schemes, getting them to screen and moving as they will not be the go to scorers, and having to get them to scout, which would be nigh impossible when they don't know defensive principles to begin with. Plus scoring against a team who is playing little defense in college is not a factor to compare against the kind of defense you will see in the W. If you cannot knock down 3s better than 30% from the college line, what do you expect to happen when they are forced to shoot further out with quicker close outs.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/11/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

He might not have been there to scout. Doesn’t he frequent these games?
Of course, Agler tends to overload on the draft invites to camp. Wouldn’t be surprised if she got an invite.

He was a regular at Ohio games when his daughter Taylor played here, but she graduated last year (and is in law school now, I think). But sure, he could have been there to support her old team. I don't know how solid the basis for the post is - just that it was made.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's more to Jessica Shepard's game and less of Jessica Shepard

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/there-s-more-to-jessica-shepard-s-game-and-less/article_966c2e90-c329-5251-a71d-d819b588ce11.html

Quote:
“I want to be the best player I can be, so I don’t want anything that’s in my control to be the reason I’m not the player I’m capable of being,” Shepard said. “It’s something I can control.”

The Irish forward credits a discussion with Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve last September, when Shepard was participating in the USA Women’s National Team training camp in Columbia, S.C.

“We were just talking about my goals for the next level and what I need to do to accomplish them,” Shepard said of Reeve, who has steered the Lynx to four WNBA titles in the last eight years and owns the best winning percentage in league history. “I think one of the biggest things we agreed on was just getting my body right.

She said the biggest difference between me being good and great was that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/11/19 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

You do realize Durr is shooting 31% from 3 right and thats from the college line? Sure Ogunnerbrawler is only 30% from 3 but neither are what you would call consistent.

Plus, this is not aimed at you J-spoon but do some of you even look at the other end both are terrible defenders. Their positioning is when can I cheat to get a cherry pick steal, never in help and walk around until they can get something for themselves.

You are correct on their percentages this season but Durr is at 39% for her four year college career and Ogunbowale is at 38% over the past four years.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/11/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

You are correct on their percentages this season but Durr is at 39% for her four year college career and Ogunbowale is at 38% over the past four years.

And they frequently shoot 3's from way beyond the line. I don't think the change in distance will be a problem.

PostPosted: 01/11/19 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

I think it's supposed to be me and Richyyy. Myrtle also said something recently. Why? What are you going to do to us? I know karate... and several other dangerous words.

Nah, it can't be anyone from this board. There have been valid concerns about her WNBA potential mentioned here, but nothing that comes close to bashing. I thought maybe there were people on twitter or something.
And I'm not going to do anything to anyone other than listen with interest.
(now that I know you know karate anyway!)

I have zero faith in my ability to project what a player will be in a few years. She was dominant at the junior level internationally but it's clear that's not going to translate unless she expands her game.

In 2 years Alanna Smith has gone from taking one 3PA every two games, to taking more than 5 per game at a much better 3P%, and now she's finally and deservedly in the draft conversation. (In her case I always thought she should be anyway, just based on what I saw from her with the Opals-lite team).
So it's possible to do a lot in 2 years. Meanwhile Ezi is 3 years younger than Alanna. I've seen little in the way of improved versatility, but 3 years is a long time to add to it.
(she had another solid game against Perth last night, but Perth is tiny so she's right at home against us. The upcoming playoffs will give us a better look. Best-of-3 semis and finals will all be televised apparently)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 26 of 74

Jump to: