RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other Games Week of 1-9 thru 1- 14
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/19 7:42 pm    ::: Other Games Week of 1-9 thru 1- 14 Reply Reply with quote

Unless unbeaten Ohio comes out looking like a different team after halftime, they are getting massacred by CMU.

88-70 final

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and WVU took care of OkState 65-57. They're tough at home.

- Amanda Gorman
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Bobcats got intimidated by their own crowd, if such a thing is possible. Ohio Athletics did a great job of hyping this game, and it produced the biggest attendance I can remember for a WBB game in Athens. But the team came out with the yips, plodding the ball down the court and short-arming most shots. They looked a lot better in the second half, but CMU has too much offense to let them get ahead by 18 and expect to catch up.

If anything, the Chips look better than last year's team, which is surprising since they lost the MAC player of the year in Tinara Moore. I don't think Presley Hudson, who came in 2nd last year, is going to lose the award this year. Unless its to teammate Reyna Frost, who scored 23 tonight to go along with 17 boards.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
I think the Bobcats got intimidated by their own crowd, if such a thing is possible. Ohio Athletics did a great job of hyping this game, and it produced the biggest attendance I can remember for a WBB game in Athens. But the team came out with the yips, plodding the ball down the court and short-arming most shots. They looked a lot better in the second half, but CMU has too much offense to let them get ahead by 18 and expect to catch up.

If anything, the Chips look better than last year's team, which is surprising since they lost the MAC player of the year in Tinara Moore. I don't think Presley Hudson, who came in 2nd last year, is going to lose the award this year. Unless its to teammate Reyna Frost, who scored 23 tonight to go along with 17 boards.

What was outstanding to me during the time I watched (first half), was the differential in rebounding. And I see from the box that that continued. It's hard to win games when you lose the rebounding 35-14.

- Amanda Gorman
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

What was outstanding to me during the time I watched (first half), was the differential in rebounding. And I see from the box that that continued. It's hard to win games when you lose the rebounding 35-14.

The final rebound tally was 51-22. Getting crushed on the boards is routine for Ohio, which often starts a lineup with no players taller than 5'11". They often are able to make up for the lack of size with quickness, but the Chips have both.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#23 Michigan State dismantles #18 Minnesota by almost 20 pts. M'thinks the Gopher's slide will be quite precipitous as the Big Ten rolls on. Shocked

PostPosted: 01/10/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miami goes down to Amanda Butler's Clemson. Embarassed

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

Mompremier DNP due to a "family matter"

- Amanda Gorman
dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/10/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana going down to Ohio St. Last thing the Big Ten needs is OSU to start clicking and cause more of a mess.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/10/19 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
#23 Michigan State dismantles #18 Minnesota by almost 20 pts. M'thinks the Gopher's slide will be quite precipitous as the Big Ten rolls on. Shocked

The bad thing is both of their losses to the Michigan schools ended up blow outs. They aren't being competitive against good teams. I'm curious what they would've looked like with Stollings as their offense is better face paced and its slowed down with Whalen. Then again, they have no bench so the starters may be even more run down then they already are.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia Tech coughed up a huge lead at Virginia and lost. That could cost them big time.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Caro found somebody they could stomp on. 71-40 Florida

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue 58 Iowa 55 1:10 BTN

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Virginia Tech coughed up a huge lead at Virginia and lost. That could cost them big time.

That's a terrible loss. They were outscored 28-9 by a terrible Virginia team. And that;s after VTech skated unscathed through a ridiculously easy non-conference schedule (ranked 264th toughest). I wonder why Brooks schedules that way. He did it last season as well.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great win for Purdue! 62-57 over Iowa. They really contained Megan in the second half.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/10/19 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

Clemson is no longer a doormat, but this is not a good loss for Miami (Mompremier's absence notwithstanding). The game was in Miami and they lost the 4th quarter 30-18 to lose by 9.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/19 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia Tech defeated Duke, 70-64.

— With the loss, Duke WBB is 0-3 in the ACC for the first time since 1992-93, Goestenkors’ first year.
— After 15 games, Duke is 8-7. That is the worst record after 15 games since 1983-84.
— We have McDonald’s All-Americans on the roster, plus two other players who were Gatorade POY in their respective states in high school.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/19 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

— With the loss, Duke WBB is 0-3 in the ACC for the first time since 1992-93, Goestenkors’ first year.
— After 15 games, Duke is 8-7. That is the worst record after 15 games since 1983-84.
— We have McDonald’s All-Americans on the roster, plus two other players who were Gatorade POY in their respective states in high school.

GT is not at all a bad team. And they are really young. They are going to be a serious squad for the next couple of years. (BTW, I was just addressing GT's bright future, not excusing Duke's loss or record)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/19 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:

That's a terrible loss. They were outscored 28-9 by a terrible Virginia team. And that;s after VTech skated unscathed through a ridiculously easy non-conference schedule (ranked 264th toughest). I wonder why Brooks schedules that way. He did it last season as well.

They were up 41-22 in the middle of the 3rd Q. What a choke to their big state rival.

Embarassing.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/19 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So Caro found somebody they could stomp on. 71-40 Florida

They started the game 19-0.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/19 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

GT is not at all a bad team. And they are really young. They are going to be a serious squad for the next couple of years. (BTW, I was just addressing GT's bright future, not excusing Duke's loss or record)

Oh, I agree. GaTech has two freshmen to follow...

-- Elizabeth Balgoun: 14.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 46.5 percent from the floor, 36.1 percent from three
-- Elizabeth Dixon: 11.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 56.3 percent from the floor.

Both Elizabeths (Elizabethi?) were McDonald's All-Americans. And both played high school basketball in Tennessee.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/11/19 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

-- Elizabeth Balgoun: 14.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 46.5 percent from the floor, 36.1 percent from three

Both Elizabeths (Elizabethi?) were McDonald's All-Americans. And both played high school basketball in Tennessee.

How did two McDonald's All-Americans end up at a team that is no threat to win their conference, let alone a title?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

How did two McDonald's All-Americans end up at a team that is no threat to win their conference, let alone a title?

Given how all the P5 conferences are completely dominated by one or two teams, you're not giving young women much choice of college if you think they have to go to a conference title contender. You could make the same "no threat" comment about Texas, UCLA, Duke, Michigan, Cal, etc, even though they are all highly desirable colleges and get plenty of highly rated recruits.

Maybe they like Ga Tech for college, maybe they want to be part of something new (and Ga Tech is building something). Maybe none of the ten schools to which you want to limit their choices recruited them or offered much playing time.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/11/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Given how all the P5 conferences are completely dominated by one or two teams, you're not giving young women much choice of college if you think they have to go to a conference title contender. You could make the same "no threat" comment about Texas, UCLA, Duke, Michigan, Cal, etc, even though they are all highly desirable colleges and get plenty of highly rated recruits.

Maybe they like Ga Tech for college, maybe they want to be part of something new (and Ga Tech is building something). Maybe none of the ten schools to which you want to limit their choices recruited them or offered much playing time.

Someday Michigan will finally get a McDonald's All-American and this comment may apply. Laughing

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Adding to artbest's point, Georgia Tech has been one of the top ten public universities per US News & World Report. Its engineering program has been ranked in the top five/ten in the country.

Machelle Joseph built Georgia Tech into a top-four team in the ACC and made six NCAAT appearances (and made it to the 2012 Sweet 16). With Louisville and Notre Dame joining the ACC, Georgia Tech slipped, with only one NCAAT appearance since 2012 (but an appearance in the 2017 WNIT Finals). And Georgia Tech was also hurt by Kaela Davis's presence, whose parents were alleged to be extremely difficult as it pertains to their daughter and her presence in the program, not to mention the difficulty of a player who allegedly demanded the entire offense run through her.

But Joseph has really hit the recruiting trail hard, and it has paid off with great classes in 2017 and 2018 (and a very good player in the 2019 class).

And here is an excerpt from the GaTech biography of Elizabeth Dixon, one of the two freshman MCDAAs on the roster:

Chose Georgia Tech because she “loved the fact it was in Atlanta, loved the academics and wanted to go to a place where I can get better and make a difference”

https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/liz-balogun/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: