RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Let the Transfers Begin! And other Attrition/injury 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25184



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

Who are some coaches notable for playing lotsa minutes on most players, whenever possible? Charlie Turner-Thorn comes to mind. Sylvia H?


CTT is at the extreme other end of the spectrum. Sometimes I think her hockey line changes actually cost them games. But this year, they seem pretty balanced which makes it more feasible. On most teams, I actually like the idea of playing one or two 'scrubs' with starters still on the floor. Especially important for young players. Otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. All those scrubs trying to prove themselves at once usually just becomes scrap ball. Then the coach can say, 'yeah, see why I don't play them'. And there are, of course, players like Coffee who you simply can't afford to have on the floor all that long and still win games. But Tara at least still honors those scholarships...and Coffee is not the first in that position.


I’m having a hard time with the Coffee example given her prowess against Baylor. Shannon has scored 23 total points in 2 games against Baylor while shooting 7-12 from behind the arc against Kim Mulkey’s Bears. If I could do that sort of damage against a elite program like Baylor, I’d take pride in it. To add on to that, she was the first player 6’5 or taller to sink 4 threes in one game since Elena Delle Donne in 2013 last year. But then again, Baylor for some reason lets her shoot daggers. I mean, yeah, she hasn’t done much else apart from help Stanford beat Baylor, but that’s still something.


today was a more typical Coffee day. 0-2 with 1 assist and 1 TO. I actually think she is quite a good passer, but the receiver definitely has to be ready for it. Her lack of mobility makes her a bit of a liability against most teams. But yeah, if she could come in and make a three every game, there would be value in that. And she's actually the closest she's ever been to being 'in shape' which also helps.


~UK~



Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 310



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/20/18 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chasity Patterson is transferring from Texas to Kentucky per Raoul on Twitter.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4121
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/20/18 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Junior post Reilly Jacobsen has left NDSU.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
UK1996



Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Posts: 343



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/21/18 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Chasity Patterson is transferring from Texas to Kentucky per Raoul on Twitter.

How is she? I understand that she got very little playing time at Texas, but has highly regarded as she was coming out of high school, there has to be talent there. Anyone want to give their opinion?


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4121
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/22/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Madison Treece is transferring from Duke.

Per GoDuke.com release:
Treece, a native of St. Peters, Mo., had appeared in four contests in 2018-19 and a total of 21 games over the last two seasons in Durham.


We just played / beat Missouri, and one position they definitely need is a Center. This young lady is from Columbia Missouri... What are the odds on hef becoming a Tiger???


According to Raoul, Treece to Belmont.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5042
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/24/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

Who are some coaches notable for playing lotsa minutes on most players, whenever possible? Charlie Turner-Thorn comes to mind. Sylvia H?


CTT is at the extreme other end of the spectrum. Sometimes I think her hockey line changes actually cost them games. But this year, they seem pretty balanced which makes it more feasible. On most teams, I actually like the idea of playing one or two 'scrubs' with starters still on the floor. Especially important for young players. Otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. All those scrubs trying to prove themselves at once usually just becomes scrap ball. Then the coach can say, 'yeah, see why I don't play them'. And there are, of course, players like Coffee who you simply can't afford to have on the floor all that long and still win games. But Tara at least still honors those scholarships...and Coffee is not the first in that position.
.

The other coach known for spreading his minutes around is Doug Bruno at DePaul. Since he doesn't get the elite recruits, I think the philosophy is to have his players go all-out all the time, which necessitates the use of depth. It may also explain why he and Geno are good friends -- opposites attract. Wink

At the pro level, Katie Smith tried it with the Liberty this past season. However, I think that had more to do with indecision about who to use rather than a cogent philosophy.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5581
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/29/18 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke frosh Rayah Craig is out for remainder of the season. She will not be enrolled at Duke next semester due to a violation of university rules. An already depleted roster takes yet another hit.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4121
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/30/18 4:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ciera Porter is coming out of medical retirement to finish her eligibility with Mizzou.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article223718400.html



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7419



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/18 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lady Raiders pick up five-star transfer from UConn

Quote:
“I am very proud to welcome home the highly-ranked Texas girls’ basketball phenom, Lexi Gordon. She brings exceptional ability to score and will thrive in our high-octane offensive system,” Stollings said. “Lexi’s tireless work ethic and high basketball IQ are characteristics that will help catapult our program into the national spotlight. We are ecstatic to have her join The Movement!”


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11788
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I guess UConn let an AA get away.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25184



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Ciera Porter is coming out of medical retirement to finish her eligibility with Mizzou.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article223718400.html


have they ever needed her!!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2538



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

Who are some coaches notable for playing lotsa minutes on most players, whenever possible? Charlie Turner-Thorn comes to mind. Sylvia H?


CTT is at the extreme other end of the spectrum. Sometimes I think her hockey line changes actually cost them games. But this year, they seem pretty balanced which makes it more feasible. On most teams, I actually like the idea of playing one or two 'scrubs' with starters still on the floor. Especially important for young players. Otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. All those scrubs trying to prove themselves at once usually just becomes scrap ball. Then the coach can say, 'yeah, see why I don't play them'. And there are, of course, players like Coffee who you simply can't afford to have on the floor all that long and still win games. But Tara at least still honors those scholarships...and Coffee is not the first in that position.


I’m having a hard time with the Coffee example given her prowess against Baylor. Shannon has scored 23 total points in 2 games against Baylor while shooting 7-12 from behind the arc against Kim Mulkey’s Bears. If I could do that sort of damage against a elite program like Baylor, I’d take pride in it. To add on to that, she was the first player 6’5 or taller to sink 4 threes in one game since Elena Delle Donne in 2013 last year. But then again, Baylor for some reason lets her shoot daggers. I mean, yeah, she hasn’t done much else apart from help Stanford beat Baylor, but that’s still something.


today was a more typical Coffee day. 0-2 with 1 assist and 1 TO. I actually think she is quite a good passer, but the receiver definitely has to be ready for it. Her lack of mobility makes her a bit of a liability against most teams. But yeah, if she could come in and make a three every game, there would be value in that. And she's actually the closest she's ever been to being 'in shape' which also helps.


I think Stanford this year could have a different player posting points on any given night. My worry is teams play us straight up and the match ups don't allow it and Tara has little time to plan for it.

But CTT could be the worst example anyone could use for not giving players minutes LOL Cool


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5395
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/31/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other coach known for spreading his minutes around is Doug Bruno at DePaul. Since he doesn't get the elite recruits, I think the philosophy is to have his players go all-out all the time, which necessitates the use of depth. It may also explain why he and Geno are good friends -- opposites attract. Wink

At the pro level, Katie Smith tried it with the Liberty this past season. However, I think that had more to do with indecision about who to use rather than a cogent philosophy.[/quote]

Sean O'Regan of JMU, at the mid-major level, is pretty good at spreading the minutes around. The freshmen may not get a *lot* of them, but they'll get a few, and everybody else gets quite a few. I think that's kind of par for mids.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
greatgator



Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 105



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/06/19 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NC State leading scorer Grace Hunter out for season (acl) http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25698980/nc-state-leading-scorer-grace-hunter-season


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 467



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/06/19 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
NC State leading scorer Grace Hunter out for season (acl) http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25698980/nc-state-leading-scorer-grace-hunter-season


Add Stanford’s Nadia Fingall to the list of ACL’s.....


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25184



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/06/19 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
greatgator wrote:
NC State leading scorer Grace Hunter out for season (acl) http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25698980/nc-state-leading-scorer-grace-hunter-season


Add Stanford’s Nadia Fingall to the list of ACL’s.....


Crying or Very sad


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 467



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/19 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kat tudor is also out for the season. Oregon just got a whole lot of luck in its quest to repeat


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 467



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/19 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alexa Romano is no longer with Stanford due to a family emergency and has left the team.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4121
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5'10" jr Iggy Allen, who left Missipp St prior to the season has transferred back to her home stomping grounds and will suit up for the Hurricanes in 19-20.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
icey23



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 5701
Location: Louisiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raven Farley is no longer on LSU team roster http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPID=2167&SPSID=27833 Still starching my head on how she became a McDonald’s AA?



_________________
A new ERA!!!! S/O to my LADIES Nikki Caldwell,Pokey Chatman,Lisa Leslie,Candace Parker and Big Syl!!!
Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3683



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/19 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mississippi State Bulldogs took a hit as Chloe Bibby injured her knee last night in the first quarter vs. South Carolina. She is done for the season. Sad
https://hailstate.com/news/2019/1/18/womens-basketball-bibby-out-for-season-with-knee-injury.aspx


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12006
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/19 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Still starching my head on how she became a McDonald’s AA?

Please DON'T: Starching your head is an old fad from the 70s, and it's dangerous....ask Myrtle. Shocked

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
The Mississippi State Bulldogs took a hit as Chloe Bibby injured her knee last night in the first quarter vs. South Carolina. She is done for the season. Sad
https://hailstate.com/news/2019/1/18/womens-basketball-bibby-out-for-season-with-knee-injury.aspx


Sad, sad, sad....in watching it, it seemed to flukey to be a routine injury. Crying or Very sad



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2653



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/18/19 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pitt junior Alayna Gribble has been granted a medical disqualification due to multiple concussions. She retains her scholarship and will receive medical treatment:

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/2019/1/18/womens-basketball-alayna-gribble-granted-medical-disqualification.aspx


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25184



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
icey23 wrote:
Still starching my head on how she became a McDonald’s AA?

Please DON'T: Starching your head is an old fad from the 70s, and it's dangerous....ask Myrtle. Shocked



oh dear. Laughing this made me snort my tea. thanks for the laughs.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4121
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/21/19 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MiKayla Boykin tore her fight ACL earlier this week against Miami and will miss the rest of the season. Last year she tore her left ACL. This puts Dukes chances of getting back to the NCAA on a pretty tight rope.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 23 of 37

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin