RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WCBB 2018-2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/06/19 4:32 pm    ::: WCBB 2018-2019 Reply Reply with quote

I've been watching WCBB for over 25 years and I don't know about anyone else, but this has to be one of the most down years overall in that span. Maybe it's because way more games are being broadcast now and you see a lot more teams, but even the highest ranked teams just don't look as good and as crisp as years past.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/06/19 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe true. But also so much parity that sometimes those good teams don't have as many 'easy' games to look good.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/07/19 10:10 am    ::: Re: WCBB 2018-2019 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I've been watching WCBB for over 25 years and I don't know about anyone else, but this has to be one of the most down years overall in that span. Maybe it's because way more games are being broadcast now and you see a lot more teams, but even the highest ranked teams just don't look as good and as crisp as years past.

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but I tend to agree. Notre Dame is really good, it seems, but either there's serious parity or everyone's taken a small step down.

Part of it is the way player development is structured, I think, as it's focused on club teams winning games rather than helping players round out their games. As I've said too many times, the system rewards kids who can just get to the rim over and over again, so there's no reason to develop outside shooting or offenses that use weakside motion and emphasize crisp passing.

(To be clear, I'm not saying that there was some golden era when those things happened ...)

PostPosted: 01/08/19 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't see this as a down year. There is no super team, but I believe that once you get past, say, the top 4, I believe that from 5 down this year's teams are probably better than in any other year. The quality of play continues to go up, even if much of that quality of play is due to superior athleticism rather than team play. The depth of quality is certainly better than ever, as shown by the balance in several conferences like the Pac 12, Big 10 and Big East.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: