RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G 2018-19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/31/18 4:30 pm    ::: B1G 2018-19 Reply Reply with quote

First weekend of games and the preseason faves (Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota all have losses - Iowa and Minny incurred big losses.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/31/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not sure on the road to Michigan State is going to be a bad loss when all is said and done. Sparty should be a tough out for any team, and could be a serious contender. I’d be much more worried by Minny’s loss to Big Blue. Michigan State has some quality wins, and they’re no quack.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/31/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I’m not sure on the road to Michigan State is going to be a bad loss when all is said and done. Sparty should be a tough out for any team, and could be a serious contender. I’d be much more worried by Minny’s loss to Big Blue. Michigan State has some quality wins, and they’re no quack.

I see what you did there.

If the league tears each other up, I see only a few bids in the tourney. Maybe three.

What the hell with Purdue today losing to Wiscy.

justintyme

PostPosted: 12/31/18 9:37 pm    ::: Re: B1G 2018-19 Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
First weekend of games and the preseason faves (Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota all have losses - Iowa and Minny incurred big losses.

Iowa and Minny?

Both of those losses were on the road to a team that was favored to beat them... They were losses, which aren't good, but the only bad loss was the team that lost at home to freaking Rutgers!

PostPosted: 12/31/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Losing to Michigan was a disappointing loss. If it was a night game, it might have been a different result. Nothing worse than a Monday early afternoon road game where you’re getting up at 5:30 AM your time for shoot around. But yeah, that a disappointing loss. I don’t care what some random non-thinking algorithm says.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 12/31/18 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Losing to Michigan was a disappointing loss. If it was a night game, it might have been a different result. Nothing worse than a Monday early afternoon road game where you’re getting up at 5:30 AM your time for shoot around. But yeah, that a disappointing loss. I don’t care what some random non-thinking algorithm says.

It's disappointing, that's for sure. But it's not back breaking or demoralizing. How the Gophers bounce back from this will help define their season. Huge opportunity for Whalen here.

PostPosted: 01/01/19 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And just to screw everything up, Wisconsin went and beat Purdue. I think the Badgers may be thinking of themselves as spoilers Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 01/02/19 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Purdue...

Big Ten player spotlight: Ae’Rianna Harris, Purdue
Jared Hines (High Post Hoops)
https://highposthoops.com/2019/01/02/big-ten-player-spotlight-aerianna-harris/

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/02/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Shades wrote:

It's disappointing, that's for sure. But it's not back breaking or demoralizing. How the Gophers bounce back from this will help define their season. Huge opportunity for Whalen here.

Perhaps, but it is a disappointing outcome (to say the least) for a Minnesota team that was playing only their second decent opponent of the season, especially to not keep it close at all for most of the game.

Minnesota has played a laughable schedule for a team that was ranked as high as they were - you can only ride that win against a pretty good Syracuse team for so long before you need to do something else. They had a chance to finally do something else and they blew it big time. I suspect that Michigan game is a lot closer to who Minnesota really is than their bizarrely inflated ranking was.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/02/19 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Perhaps, but it is a disappointing outcome (to say the least) for a Minnesota team that was playing only their second decent opponent of the season, especially to not keep it close at all for most of the game.

Minnesota has played a laughable schedule for a team that was ranked as high as they were - you can only ride that win against a pretty good Syracuse team for so long before you need to do something else. They had a chance to finally do something else and they blew it big time. I suspect that Michigan game is a lot closer to who Minnesota really is than their bizarrely inflated ranking was.

That's one thing we hated about the old coach--she never schedules anything but cupcakes in non-conference when it's obvious that does nothing to help build a resume for NCAA Tournament selection/seeding.
Also, Minnesota's ranking isn't that inflated. At least a couple teams probably should've been ranked ahead of them coming into this week, but there is a tier of maybe 10 or 11 top teams, then another tier of teams which Minnesota is in, and a lot of teams in that tier haven't done anything to prove without a doubt they should be ranked higher (e.g. Cal losing to Harvard, Arizona St losing at Arizona, etc) yet.

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/06/19 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep. Now that was a bad, bad loss by Minny.

PostPosted: 01/06/19 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Speaking of Purdue...

Big Ten player spotlight: Ae’Rianna Harris, Purdue
Jared Hines (High Post Hoops)
https://highposthoops.com/2019/01/02/big-ten-player-spotlight-aerianna-harris/

she's been one of my favs from the B1G over the past couple of years.

- Amanda Gorman
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/07/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Yes, it was.

Gopher starters are playing A LOT of minutes, all season so far. I have to wonder if yesterday’s 4th quarter collapse was brought on simply by fatigue. With 15 more Conference games to play, this could be a serious issue for Minnesota.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/19 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Yes, it was.

Gopher starters are playing A LOT of minutes, all season so far.

Yeah, the Reeve philosophy. Live or die through your starters.

ripleydc wrote:
I have to wonder if yesterday’s 4th quarter collapse was brought on simply by fatigue.

I’m sure it doesn’t help, but down the stretch when they needed to make one key stop, instead they had a defensive breakdown.

ripleydc wrote:
With 15 more Conference games to play, this could be a serious issue for Minnesota.

Well, they only have 12 players to begin with.... some teams roster as many as 15. All season they’ve been down a starting guard from last season who is currently rehabbing from foot surgery. So one could look at it from the angle that were blessed to have been undefeated going into conference being down a starter. They haven’t really given any hints if or when this player will be returning. She could help alleviate the minutes problem for the guards. They’re also down a freshman big. It doesn’t look like she’ll be ready anytime soon, but she wouldn’t likely be a big factor anyway. In the Illinois game, they were also down a rotation forward, so that definitely didn’t help.

The most confusing decision to me is they keep giving a freshman guard, who has been very ineffective on both sides of the ball, rotation minutes over a senior player who has been effective in spots early in the season. Not even giving her a heat check.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 01/08/19 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Illinois win over Minnesota was their first Big 10 win in 30 or 31 tries (thought I heard the announcers say both that they had lost 29 and 30 straight Big 10 games).

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/09/19 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@redditNCAAW, “The #B1G is devouring itself like it's volleyball season #B1Gwbb”

So true!

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/09/19 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
@redditNCAAW, “The #B1G is devouring itself like it's volleyball season #B1Gwbb”

So true!

A good way of putting it. Confused

And tonite, one of the B1G’s ranked teams is going to pick up their 3rd Conf loss, only 4 games into the season!

Has parity finally arrived in Big Ten WBB?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

So true!

And tonite, one of the B1G’s ranked teams is going to pick up their 3rd Conf loss, only 4 games into the season!

soon to be "previously ranked"

- Amanda Gorman
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

So true!

soon to be "previously ranked"

Bye, Minnesota!

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they'll probably just switch places this week, then drop out next week unless they get the big win over Iowa.

- Amanda Gorman
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/09/19 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

86-68 . . . Good win for MSU; gets em back on track.

And I always love those palindromic scores!! Only one of the season (so far) in conference play. A rarity, indeed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: