Minnesota Lynx 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/27/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya Moore Is Focusing On Decompressing, Not Playing In Europe This Offseason

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/maya-moore-minnesota-lynx-wnba-coaching/

Quote:
Is there any potential coaching in your future?

(laughs) Maybe from the couch. To be a coach involves so much sacrifice and a lot of it is really rewarding work. I definitely know how hard it is just watching the great coaches that I’ve had and how much they’ve poured into it. So I don’t know. That’s a big jump.

Quote:
Is there anything that you could take from this season that you are going to bring into next season?

I really am happy about the way our team has continued to fight throughout the season. Winning masks a lot of things, but to be able to stay together while your struggling. It proves a lot and I think it gives the team confidence knowing that we can weather storms.

Doesn’t sound like she’s in the mindset of leaving the Lynx.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 10/03/18 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
I really am happy about the way our team has continued to fight throughout the season. Winning masks a lot of things, but to be able to stay together while your struggling. It proves a lot and I think it gives the team confidence knowing that we can weather storms.

Doesn’t sound like she’s in the mindset of leaving the Lynx.

I am outraged over hearing Maya mention the word "storms"! Further proof that Reeve's only goal this past off-season was to make sure Seattle wins 5 titles, if not a lot more before the Lynx ever do!

Since I have been forbidden from talking about the Lynx in any other threads, I shall recap everything I have already said: the entire purpose of sports is to mock Minnesota for being the stupidest state in the country when it comes to sports. The WNBA is a fake league now due to the fact that Cheryl Reeve was allowed to trade an MVP-caliber superstar for nothing to manipulate who wins the title (along with letting another star go to Atlanta for no compensation), and the media and fans turned a blind eye to it, since it was obvious to me at the time that Seattle would likely win the title until I made the big mistake of letting the fans/media/Reeve convince me otherwise. I am convinced Reeve is either one of the world's most delusional idiots, or, as an Eagles fan, after the Eagles beat the Vikings 38-7 to go to the Super Bowl, Reeve wanted to come up with more ways to screw over Minnesota after the disappointment of another epic Vikings playoff collapse, since that sounds like something an Eagles fan would do. I was always raised to believe that in sports, you want yourself/your own team to win, not you/your own team to never win and other teams to win more than your team, until this past season. The WNBA should force the Lynx to fold for destroying the integrity of the game. As a free agent, I believe Maya, could then sign with the Dream, a team that actually wants to win.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/03/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Maya shown any inclination that she wants to leave?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/03/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s always a concern when a player finishes a season and their contract without a contract extension.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/03/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Has Maya shown any inclination that she wants to leave?

She seems very happy in her SI interview:

https://www.si.com/wnba/2018/10/02/maya-moore-lynx-uconn-geno-auriemma-cheryl-reeve

Quote:
KB: You also have a fantastic coach now in Cheryl Reeve. What’s her coaching style like?
MM: Her coaching style is intense. She has high standards for us and all the details—she's a stickler for details. She’s about playing passionately and playing together and connected. She’s always the kind of coach who asks you to be a good teammate and that’s something I really appreciate about her, because to be a great team you have to be great teammates.

She coaches you as a teammate and she coaches you as a player. She’s very forward and you always feel like she’s right there and she’s battling with you and I appreciate that so much as a player. You like to have fun with her too because she keeps it light. She’s always one to joke and she’s somebody that knows how to bring the fun as well as the intensity, so I appreciate that about her

PostPosted: 10/03/18 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
Maya Moore to Atlanta would be just fine with me. In fact, more than fine. It would even make all Maya Moore fans that come to Dream games a lot of fun rather than an annoyance.

What are you giving up? The conversation surely starts with Tiffany Hayes...

The Lynx decided Natasha Howard was worth a 2nd round pick, and Howard was statistically better than Maya Moore this year, so a 3rd round pick for Maya should do. Smile I can't wait for Maya Moore to win Most Improved Player next year when she magically becomes good again once she plays for a real, legitimate WNBA team instead of "I must make all of my players look bad to suppress their trade value" Reeve & the Lynx. Smile

Don't you ever get tired?

Yes, as I've said before: I am tired of basically every Minnesota team (including the Lynx) choking, sucking, under-performing, and making moves that help other teams win titles instead of helping their own teams win. Smile

I fail to see why your frustration with Minnesota sports teams translates to saying the same thing over and over here and basically taking up space that could be used for something besides reruns. After all, people here didn’t manage any teams. Why abuse us?

PostPosted: 10/03/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
I fail to see why your frustration with Minnesota sports teams translates to saying the same thing over and over here and basically taking up space that could be used for something besides reruns. After all, people here didn’t manage any teams. Why abuse us?

Because Twitter and Message Boards were created as tools to complain all day and all night about sports (and politics, and other subjects). And I want everybody in the world to know that Reeve, if not an overrated/bad coach/worst GM in the history of sports (I have never seen anybody in my life until Reeve think that an MVP-caliber superstar is so useless that getting rid of that player at all costs is his/her top priority, not keeping/utilizing that player/actually giving her playing time), is a giant scumbag for lying about wanting the Lynx to win this year, etc, because I have never seen a coach/GM intentionally win titles for another team/potentially set up their team to never win again like Reeve did, as common sense says you should want to have/keep superstar-caliber players on your team and, unless you absolutely have no other choice (which wasn't the case with the Lynx) you never trade away a superstar for little/nothing unless you are a delusional idiot or you want the other team you are trading the superstar to to win. And I am mad at myself because seeing people on this board who thought that the Reeve trading an MVP-caliber superstar for nothing was a good deal for the Lynx made me doubt my original gut feeling that the Storm were guaranteed to win the title this year and the Lynx would suck, which is why I decided I will stick to my gut and share my opinions without fear of being wrong, because me deciding to think Reeve might not be one of the world's most delusional idiots turned out to be the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life because I should've right away figured out how to bet all of my money on the Storm winning the title—I wouldn't be complaining as much if I made thousands of dollars from this season, but I messed that up badly. And because all of the media and 99.99% of fans are too scared/ignorant to blast Reeve when if this were any other sport, especially in any other market, they would, I must complain everywhere nonstop (but I will limit myself just enough so I don't get banned) about Reeve until she proves otherwise, or is no longer a coach/GM in this state. I should find Reeve in person someday and ask her if the WNBA is fake, and/or why she made the Storm winning title(s) her top priority. The WNBA is a fake sport to me until the Lynx get contracted because I am against the idea that the champions of sports leagues should be determined by whatever team Minnesota/Reeve decides to help win. If Seattle was good enough to win this year, they should be able to do it without Minnesota's help, same with every other team.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/02/19 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1080605465543729152/vid/640x360/Es1aGEoHz4z4xj4w.mp4
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1080611533485494274/pu/vid/1280x720/WABpfthKJnMCuKWI.mp4
https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1080627965552033792/vid/1280x720/9y1VN7WieZ7k7lZE.mp4

Shades

PostPosted: 01/06/19 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2019 Signed Roster
Robinson/AJones
Wright

Fowles/Fagbenle

Approx Salaries
Fowles $113.4K
Robinson $108K
Wright $94.9K
AJones $47.8K
Fagbenle $43.3K

Approx Salaries of Draft Picks
#6 $49.5K
2nd Round Pick $42.6K

Approx Salaries of Likely Signings
Moore $117.5K (minus any offseason bonus)
Zandalasini $43K

Salaries to be Negotiated
Augustus $????
Brunson $????

The reason I didn’t automatically put Augustus and Brunson at max was because I got the vibe from the Reeve exit interview that she’d want them to play less minutes and thus want them to take less money, but probably not less than Robinson. “What do you want and does it match up with what we want?”

So adding up all the figures with Brunson and Augustus at $108K ea and adding the salaries for #6 and one second rounder, I come up $876K for 11 players. I figure cap is about $990K, leaving a nice chunk to sign a top-end free agent.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/06/19 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No longer concerned about Maya looking elsewhere Shades?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/06/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
No longer concerned about Maya looking elsewhere Shades?

There’s always a slight concern until the contract is signed, but read at the top of the page.

It’d probably make more sense to Maya to just sign a one-year deal with the Lynx and see how the new CBA shakes out before making of those kinds of decisions. It also gives an opportunity to see if Reeve can right the ship with a key signing.

There’s also a very remote possibility that if a Ionescu declares, Reeve might be enticed by a trade package for Maya that included Ionescu and other assorted goodies. But I don’t think Reeve is all that ready for rebuild mode.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/06/19 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll post the same thing here and never post again on another thread. The story of me being outraged is because I thought Howard was supposed to be a superstar and that the Lynx, with Perkins and Pierson retiring, would have enough money to sign her for a max and re-sign Montgomery to whatever. So when Howard got traded for nothing I assumed I must've been crazy to think Howard was supposed to be a superstar, because the only reason one would ever trade a star for nothing (especially with Brunson getting older and towards the end of her career) when don't have to is if you want your team to not win and the other team to win (especially in this case when history shows that whatever team trades Howard ends up losing in the 1st round of the playoffs the following season and stinks the years after that, and whatever team has Howard makes the Finals). And since the media and several fans made no deal out of it, I didn't want to risk sounding like a fool for saying I think Howard is supposed to be a superstar and the Lynx will be doomed and the Storm guaranteed to win the title, so I made the mistake of changing my mind that maybe the Lynx weren't winning a title for Seattle/Reeve knew what she was doing, which I why I'm mad I didn't bet on the Storm winning the title for what would've been the easiest payout ever. That's why I got mad again when I found out for sure that Lynx always had enough money for Howard & anybody at PG (Montgomery, D-Rob, because I figured Lynx needed a starter-caliber PG, which I see D-Rob as I figured Whalen is much closer to being done than Brunson, and it would be easier to find a post player than a PG in the 2019 Draft, so I would've begrudgingly lived with getting rid of Howard, even though it was for way too little, if it was to afford D-Rob, but it was to afford old player not part of future Tanisha Wright too—if Lynx kept Montgomery, would've traded Howard too since Reeve wanted Wright so badly, so Wright is actually the player Lynx couldn't afford), so the media were misleading/lying, because all Reeve had to do was suck it up and have the backup SG be Jones/Zandalasini/any cheap player or rookie instead of signing Wright, and the difference between Wright and that Jones/Zandalasini/whoever committee is marginal compared to the difference between Howard and having no backup PF. But people on Twitter, even after the season ended, basically try to argue with me that after the 2017 season there was nothing that showed that the Lynx were ever close to being able to compete for a title (even though I thought Maya Moore and Fowles were supposed to still be good), so it's a good thing that they traded Howard to a team where she can wins titles as a favor.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 01/07/19 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/06/19 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
There’s also a very remote possibility that if a Ionescu declares, Reeve might be enticed by a trade package for Maya that included Ionescu and other assorted goodies. But I don’t think Reeve is all that ready for rebuild mode.

At least Reeve is committed to D-Rob as the starting PG for the next few years, and what's wrong about building around Maya, because I always thought Maya is supposed to be good, not an old, washed-up, mediocre starter? I don't think the Lynx need to trade up for a PG in the draft until maybe 2024.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/19 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DRob is only signed through this season.

PG’s don’t start as rookies unless you’re content on losing.
Ionescu could also be used at the SG position like she is now in college’. She’s big enough.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/07/19 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
DRob is only signed through this season.

PG’s don’t start as rookies unless you’re content on losing.

If going by the Megdal Speadsheet, I don't see what is new in it? I am 99.95% sure it showed D-Rob being signed at 108k for 2019 (in error?) all of last season, so I don't know what the extension was for, and assume nothing changed in the spreadsheet?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve been keeping an eye on this French player for a couple of years, which is odd because I’ve been cursing the Lynx French player moves as of late.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7S95Mw4C6w4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnba.com/2019-core-players-reserved-players-restricted-free-agents-and-unrestricted-free-agents/

My top targets for Lynx
UFA
1. Sanders (if healthy)
2. Langhorne

RFA
1. Achonwa
2. Zahui
3. Dantas
4. Hamby
5. Parker

Top hopefully realistic trade targets
1. COgwumike (CON had best year without her)
2. Meesseman (WAS had best year without her)
3. GJohnson (Because Reeve’s getting desperate)
4. Lavender (Everyone seems to hate her more than she deserves)

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/15/19 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.wnba.com/2019-core-players-reserved-players-restricted-free-agents-and-unrestricted-free-agents/

My top targets for Lynx

CT ran much better with Jones patroling the paint and her ability to step outside. Alyssa Thomas, Ogwumike, and Jones cannot play together - clogs the paint, not enough outside shooting. And AThomas is better as a secondary facilitator at the four then a non-shooting de facto three.

But what added to MN's offense was Brunson's ability to develop a three-point shot to play next to Fowles -- and the fact she did so relatively late in her career.

Can Chiney do this? That is the big question.

Ogwumike is under contract at $119,500 for the 2019 season (per Howard Megdal's database). Not sure about the amount, as, per the CBA, the player maximum for 2019 is $117,500 ("Extensions of Rookie Scale Contracts with Draft Rookies," Article V, Section 8(a)(iii) of the CBA).

Right now, this is Minnesota' cap situation:

Fagbenle: $49,498 (team option)
Fowles: $113,360
A. Jones: $47,798 (rookie tender)
Robinson: $108,000
Wright: $94,860

Maya Moore has been cored. Figure a maximum, fully guaranteed salary for her as well -- which should be $117,500.

That puts Minnesota's salary cap situation at $481,518 without Fagebenle's team option and $531,016 with it.

Adding Ogwumike's salary (and using Megdal's number, though I noted my question about it above), that puts Minnesota's salary cap situation at $601,018 without Fagebenle's team option and $650,516 with it.

Seimone Augustus and Rebekkah Brunson are unrestricted free agents. If MN wants to re-sign both, consider that both made $110,900 in 2018. Hypothetically, if MN re-signs both at the same pay rate as in 2018, that would put the salary cap at $822,818 with Ogwumike, Augustus, and Brunson but without Fagebenle's team option; adding Fagbenle's team option, and that number is $872,316.

The WNBA has a hard salary cap of $976,300 for 2019.

The $822,818 figure would have eight signed players; the $872,316 figure would have nine (Fagbenle is the ninth).

Positionally, it would look like this:

PG: Danielle Robinson
CG: Alexis Jones, Tanisha Wright
SG: Seimone Augustus
SF/W: Maya Moore
PF: Rebekkah Brunson, Chiney Ogqumike
C: Sylvia Fowles (Temi Fagbenle)

The team still needs more perimeter/wing players and three-point shooting (both MN and its opponents shot 34.6 percent from three last season, but MN made 183 - 529 while its opponents made 235 - 679).

In terms of assets to offer CT in a trade, MN does have the 6th pick in the 2019 WNBA Draft. But would this be enough?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/15/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

My top targets for Lynx

CT ran much better with Jones patroling the paint and her ability to step outside. Alyssa Thomas, Ogwumike, and Jones cannot play together - clogs the paint, not enough outside shooting. And AThomas is better as a secondary facilitator at the four then a non-shooting de facto three.

But what added to MN's offense was Brunson's ability to develop a three-point shot to play next to Fowles -- and the fact she did so relatively late in her career.

Can Chiney do this? That is the big question.

In terms of assets to offer CT in a trade, MN does have the 6th pick in the 2019 WNBA Draft. But would this be enough?

Even if Chiney creates a logjam with Jones & Thomas, doesn't trading her make Sun no better off (unless they get a guaranteed star in return) in part because it just makes the Lynx much better, so Lynx can beat the Sun regularly again (unless there is a can't miss player at #6 who'll help Sun a ton)?
If Lynx can't trade for anybody, I still want to draft Anigwe thinking she may be capable of being a Dollar Store Brand Ogwumike—she just goes to the "wrong" school. I'd rather have a Dollar Store Brand Ogwumike than another McCarville, or a guard (since guards should be found more easily elsewhere, free agency, 2nd round, most years) then use all the cap space to get a top FA at whatever position.
With just their existing players, Lynx 3-point shooting will be better next year assuming Maya bounces back from a down year, they get Alexis Jones going, and Zandalasini stops being reluctant to shoot when she's open as she was many games last year (same with D-Rob too. When she made her historic 3-pointers, it was when she wasn't hesitant to shoot). And actually, Whalen being past her prime (too slow to get to rim) prevented her from driving and kicking out to someone open for 3 like she used to be able to do, and D-Rob can when she gets to the rim with her speed.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 01/15/19 4:47 pm; edited 6 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/19 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did a more aesthetically pleasing Lynx cap breakdown a few posts above, so I’m not sure why you’re acting like it hasn’t been done, but whatever.

Pretty sure $976K was last year’s cap, making this year’s cap more.

Chiney making $119.5K is probably a bookkeeping error. That sounds like max for 2020. She’s most likely making $117.5K

Third rounder Fagbenle making more than first rounder Jones doesn’t make sense either.

But most of the quibbles are over a couple thou here or there.

I suspect Brunson and Augustus are both in team player mode. If the Lynx were to score Chiney, for example, she’d most definitely be getting bulk minutes over Brunson. Brunson and Augustus’ salaries would be adjusted to the max of making everything work. That’s my thinking on it.

Plus there’s that no-overseas bonus that both the Sparks and the Lynx use with their veteran ladened rosters more to circumvent team salary cap issues than use as an actual player salary supplement. Does anybody actually believe Sims only accepted and made $65K? You gotta be pretty naive to believe that.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/15/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I did a more aesthetically pleasing Lynx cap breakdown a few posts above, so I’m not sure why you’re acting like it hasn’t been done, but whatever.

I did not see yours. And I did the research myself.

I am not sure why you are making this personal or acting like you are the guru.

Shades wrote:
Pretty sure $976K was last year’s cap, making this year’s cap more.

Megdal claimed that it was last year's number; another article claimed it was the 2019 figure.

The CBA provides:
Salary Cap. The Salary Cap for the Salary Cap Year commencing on
January 1, 2014 shall be nine hundred and one thousand dollars ($901,000). The Salary Cap for each Salary Cap Year thereafter during the term of this Agreement shall be calculated as follows: add twelve thousand dollars ($12,000) to the Salary Cap for the immediately preceding Salary Cap Year, increase the total by the Growth Factor applicable to the Salary Cap Year for which the Salary Cap is being calculated (as defined in Section 1(e) below), and subtract twelve thousand dollars ($12,000).

I can calculate it later to be certain.

adamj95

PostPosted: 01/17/19 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/lynx_pr/status/1085975147721433088?s=21

Quote:
We have been in close contact with Maya Moore and together, are deciding the best way to approach next season.

Uh oh.

PostPosted: 01/17/19 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
https://twitter.com/lynx_pr/status/1085975147721433088?s=21

Quote:
We have been in close contact with Maya Moore and together, are deciding the best way to approach next season.

Uh oh.

It could mean that she’s looking to Maya for advice on which free agent or trade to pursue, although I’m not sure why she’d be compelled to make that public. Confused

If she’s hinting at a Maya trade, she’d definitely wouldn’t want to make that public. It’d have to be a inconceivably great trade for Reeve not to become as unpopular as Trump.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/17/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moore is considering taking the summer off, like many players before her have

PostPosted: 01/17/19 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Moore is considering taking the summer off, like many players before her have

Is this the first volley in the Ionescu tank war. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 6 of 31

Jump to: