RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn v. Baylor 1-3-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
myrtle wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Chloe Jackson has done nothing to finish tonight. Nothing.
true. and it's weird. in the two previous games I saw she was knocking down those mid-range shots like they were easy peasy.

and now she makes three big ones in a row. Laughing

There is a logical explanation on why she began to make her shots. Kim sat her on the bench for a few minutes to take some deep breaths and to release a few farts. She went back into the game and she became Action Jackson. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great game by Baylor. Not a bad loss for UCONN at all. This team is the ABSOLUTE worst matchup for us in the entire country. We just don't have anyone with that kind of size. We looked rusty on offense and our D wasn't tragic, but Brown was just too much.

taropatch

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Cox shooting threes is Baylor's worst option.

She does pretty good on threes and has the green light on those -- actually 38%. Second on the team with attempts behind the arc with only 13 attempts before tonight. Baylor is badly in need of another gunner besides Landrum (42 attempts). Chou the other shooter left for UCLA.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nalyssa Smith was a differencemaker for Baylor. Shes going to be a special player in WCBB.

She had a great game.

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Great game by Baylor. Not a bad loss for UCONN at all. This team is the ABSOLUTE worst matchup for us in the entire country. We just don't have anyone with that kind of size. We looked rusty on offense and our D wasn't tragic, but Brown was just too much.

Basketball is all about match-ups, and as you say, no team is a worse one for CT than the LBs.

Isn't it cool though- we lose, but we don't have to wait 8 months for the next game.

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so what the heck happens to the rankings now?

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm betting UConn stays at 1.

Stanford and Baylor are probably too far back to jump to 1. Plus Baylor lost to Stanford who lost to the Zags who ND beat by 16. So now Baylor beat UConn but they are currently ranked 8 so likely wont move up more than 2 or 3 spots. I'm guessing it stays UConn 1, ND 2 based on UConn having beaten ND.

Now, the winner of next weeks Louisville-ND game might jump up to 1, I suppose.

UConn needs to hope for a LVille win so that the Cards are undefeated at the end of the month when they face each other. It's really UConn's only remaining big time game on its schedule until the NCAA tournament.

I think I'd agree. Rankings remain basically the same. Baylor to #5 and Maryland goes to #8. I know, I know, how can Baylor jump over Stanford? By beating #1.

If Louisville wins, do they go to #2 pushing ND down a notch(es)? Or do they go #1 pushing UConn down one notch?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm betting UConn stays at 1.

Stanford and Baylor are probably too far back to jump to 1. Plus Baylor lost to Stanford who lost to the Zags who ND beat by 16. So now Baylor beat UConn but they are currently ranked 8 so likely wont move up more than 2 or 3 spots. I'm guessing it stays UConn 1, ND 2 based on UConn having beaten ND.

Now, the winner of next weeks Louisville-ND game might jump up to 1, I suppose.

UConn needs to hope for a LVille win so that the Cards are undefeated at the end of the month when they face each other. It's really UConn's only remaining big time game on its schedule until the NCAA tournament.

I think I'd agree. Rankings remain basically the same. Baylor to #5 and Maryland goes to #8. I know, I know, how can Baylor jump over Stanford? By beating #1.

If Louisville wins, do they go to #2 pushing ND down a notch(es)? Or do they go #1 pushing UConn down to one notch?

I think if LVille beats ND they go to #1 on the basis of their undefeated record and the win sort of validating their otherwise underwhelming schedule to date. Up until now they've beaten no one of consequence other than Kentucky.

willtalk

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Quote:
Cox shooting threes is Baylor's worst option.

She does pretty good on threes and has the green light on those -- actually 38%. Second on the team with attempts behind the arc with only 13 attempts before tonight. Baylor is badly in need of another gunner besides Landrum (42 attempts). Chou the other shooter left for UCLA.

The thing is that as a player you have to recognize when your shots are not dropping and quit shooting those 3's. She was O-4 in the first half. In the second half they took her away from the parameter and played her underneath where she began to score points. She did not make one shot except for those she shot under the basket. She played it smart and restricted herself to those in the second half.

They also replaced Didi Richards with Cox on KLS and Katie began to lead a mini comeback in the 3rd quarter. They put Richards back on KLS in the second half and Katie had to struggle for any sort of look. I believe Richards D on KLS was a major difference.

PostPosted: 01/04/19 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Clearly, UConn must drop to no higher than #19. This loss, combined with their near loss in Norman prognosticates a terribly lackluster season.

WELL-PLAYED, KIM AND YER LADY BEAR CUBS!! I thought they fought through some potential liabilities (i.e. Brown's relative lack of athleticism, Cox's mediocre performance, etc.) with some gritty play by non-headliners, and a collective effort on defensive quality. Only 5 TOs is awesome against a UConn level team.

Always delicious to see UConn get spanked. I really don't think this was a fluke, though.....I think there well might be a few more losses ahead for UConn AND for Baylor. Still early in the season.

PostPosted: 01/04/19 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Isn't it cool though- we lose, but we don't have to wait 8 months for the next game.

You don't even have to wait 6 days (Dec 2-8 was a very long week for ND fans). Confused

Last edited by CBiebel on 01/04/19 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/04/19 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I do agree that UConn gets away with quite a bit of fouling. For instance, they always give just a wee bit of a push in the back when someone is shooting a layup.

Oh no, that's just the other team flopping... Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/04/19 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
First time I’ve seen UConn play. Wondered how they can have such good defense without fouling. But now I know. The refs don’t bother calling shit on them. Katie Lou Samuelson completely undercuts the Baylor lady bear on the offensive outback and nothing was called. Lots of contact to have Baylor shoot zero foul shots. Hmmmm, SMH, getting favoritism when not even at home. None of UConn’s players are superstars yet and they do not deserve the DT and MM no-calls.

There's an interesting trend I've noticed regarding UConn, at least the last few years (While I've been paying attention). At least until their conference schedule kicks in, their FT attempts and FT made are extremely low, especially for a top 10 team. It's almost like Auriemma's "Our guys don't foul" comments results in the refs swallowing their whistles for both teams.

Currently UConn is ranked #214 in FTs made and #275 in FTs attempted.

Last edited by CBiebel on 01/04/19 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/04/19 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Well, I personally don't care about them (as I say, as long as ND gets a #1 seed in the NCAAs...), but if I were a pollster, I'd look at the situation and put Louisville as #1 (since they're the highest profile undefeated team). ND lost to UConn. UConn lost to Baylor. Baylor lost to Stanford. Louisville hasn't lost to anyone...yet... Wink

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/04/19 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Clearly, UConn must drop to no higher than #19. This loss, combined with their near loss in Norman prognosticates a terribly lackluster season.

WELL-PLAYED, KIM AND YER LADY BEAR CUBS!! I thought they fought through some potential liabilities (i.e. Brown's relative lack of athleticism, Cox's mediocre performance, etc.) with some gritty play by non-headliners, and a collective effort on defensive quality. Only 5 TOs is awesome against a UConn level team.

Always delicious to see UConn get spanked. I really don't think this was a fluke, though.....I think there well might be a few more losses ahead for UConn AND for Baylor. Still early in the season.

Big limb there! It's holding anyone who watched UConn struggle against a team like OU. Razz

Wait til next year. Crying or Very sad

ETA: For UConn Game of Throne fans- Winter is coming!

PostPosted: 01/04/19 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Nalyssa Smith was a differencemaker for Baylor. Shes going to be a special player in WCBB.

She had a great game.

She did. And Baylor is going to be better with Brown gone next year. A front court of her and Cox will be stupid!

As for Brown....and I know she just ate us for lunch and dinner, but I would be very wary of her in the W. In no way, shape or form, is she quick enough or in good enough shape to hang with Stewie, Chiney, Nneka, Tina, Sylvia, Griner, Cambage, or Candace Parker.

Her adjustment period is going to be very long, IMO. And I think she is a bit of a project at the next level.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/04/19 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She had a great game.

She did. And Baylor is going to be better with Brown gone next year. A front court of her and Cox will be stupid!

As for Brown....and I know she just ate us for lunch and dinner, but I would be very wary of her in the W. In no way, shape or form, is she quick enough or in good enough shape to hang with Stewie, Chiney, Nneka, Tina, Sylvia, Griner, Cambage, or Candace Parker.

Her adjustment period is going to be very long, IMO. And I think she is a bit of a project at the next level.

I feel the same re: Samuelson and Collier.

PostPosted: 01/04/19 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
if I were a pollster, I'd look at the situation and put Louisville as #1 (since they're the highest profile undefeated team). ND lost to UConn. UConn lost to Baylor. Baylor lost to Stanford. Louisville hasn't lost to anyone...yet... Wink

Why would you do that? The pollsters haven't thought Louisville is better than ND in the past nine weeks. What happened this week to merit jumping them ahead? By that logic you might just as well rank NCSt #1.

The reality is that Louisville has played a schedule only marginally better than Maryland's and only moved up from $5 to #3 because people ahead of them lost, not because they did anything impressive themselves.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/04/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She had a great game.

Lou, maybe, Collier, I don't think so. Pheesa has played her entire career without a post player bigger than her. If I'm LV, I take Collier #1 and let her open up the lane for Wilson.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/04/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She had a great game.

Lou, maybe, Collier, I don't think so. Pheesa has played her entire career without a post player bigger than her. If I'm LV, I take Collier #1 and let her open up the lane for Wilson.

Collier showed last night why she really can't/won't play post in the W - on offense she gets stuffed and on defense she's just not big enough. She's not quick enough to make up for her size. That means she has to transition to SF and as we know that transition isn't easy and takes time. I've always really liked Alysha Clark and how she made that transition. I think Collier can too...but not instantaneously.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/04/19 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She had a great game.

How many total games has Collier played in her entire career in which she has matched up against an opponent 6'5" or over? I suspect you can count them on one hand and have fingers left over. Now how often would she need to do that in the WNBA in the role you envision? Every other game at least?

I've liked Collier since she was in HS. But I suspect she's one of those where because of her height she doesn't have an ideal position at the next level.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/04/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next she will getting hyped as a "Positionless" player to improve her stock Laughing

PostPosted: 01/04/19 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched this a day late and really wasn't surprised. UConn is small, struggled against Oklahoma and Cal, and was out-executed on offense and defense by the Lady Bears. I don't ever recall a game where UConn shot 29%. Much of that was attributable to the Baylor defense.

Still, Baylor required an anomalously good and probably career game from Kalani Brown, and that freshman Smith was very impressive.

This would have been an ideal game for Nelson-Ododa to get about 20 minutes against talented bigs. Why she's not playing more is a puzzle -- especially given that she'll be a mandatory starter on next year's much weaker and shorter UConn team.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/04/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Collier showed last night why she really can't/won't play post in the W - on offense she gets stuffed and on defense she's just not big enough. She's not quick enough to make up for her size.

Oh, Myrtle....you FORCE me to take umbrage with your opinions yet again (and you KNOW how I hate that! Razz )

Really. Napheesa Collier is remarkable, to me, and has a fairly bright future, imo. What is she, 6'2" or 6'3"? Think: Taj M., Erlanna L....she has better foot speed, and a helluva better perimeter game than these gals ever did. And she's a remarkable rebounder, for her size.

I'd be more concerned about my future if I was Kalani. Her numbers last night were quite fine, but....in their loss at stanford, Kalani registered a whole 5 points: inconsistent for a star senior?

Just as obvious is the fact that she will be LOST in the pros when facing the athleticism of a Griner, Parker, Nneka, Cambage, et. al. The good news is she CAN fix that: an excellent trainer/regimen can afford her a great upside. She reminds me a little bit of Jantal Lavender, who certainly has a place in the pros, but may never be A Star in the post for anybody. I personally love Kalani, and hope the best for her. She certainly made a difference last night.

In reviewing the box score, I just realized Kim only played 7 gals....it certainly felt like more were rotated in. All had their shining moments, but Miss Smith was dazzling, for a freshman in a Big Game.

PostPosted: 01/04/19 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She had a great game.

I would hold up on that until you see what happens with Brown gone. Smith is not a physical player and benefits from the attention payed to Brown on offense. She does have a nose for the ball which allows her to hit the space created by the attention payed to Brown for those offensive boards and put backs. She is a finesse, not a real physical rebounder. KLS beat her for the rebound on a free throw for a put back at the end of the first half even though Smith had inside position. Smith take advantage of space, but how will she fare if that space is not there? Lets just wait to see how things turn out when Brown is gone.

Granted Brown will probably not be as good in the WNBA as she is in college, but in the college game teams still need to make defensive adjustments to keep her off the offensive glass. Baylor might still be better, but it will be because this years freshmen will have one year under their belt, they will get Morris back at PG and will have the depth and speed to run teams the entire game. They just will not have to adjust to Browns game, but that will just mean a different look. However it will also effect the effectiveness in the paint by those that benefited from Browns presence.

Last edited by willtalk on 01/04/19 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Howee

PostPosted: 01/04/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, yeah....speaking of pro drafts:

Did anybody else notice (at halftime, maybe?) the *projected* draft pics? Sabrina at #1, and even Arike was on the list. When did they start drafting juniors??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: