RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Staley: Where Are All the Black Coaches?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 11/30/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Black NCAAWB Players: 46%
Black NCAAWB Coaches: 17%
Black Americans: 13%

Hmmm. Those percentages refute 2 of her points: Basketball is NOT "mostly played by black women", and the percentages of black coaches exceeds the percentage by overall population, so they're not necessarily 'underrepresented' in the truest sense.

PickledGinger wrote:
Dawn’s not being racist, she is being real. She is combating systemic racism.

I dunno. I mean, I think the article was well written to illustrate her *experience*. It poignantly depicts the experience of a young woman of color delving into a universe beyond her limited experience, where racial barriers/challenges/diversity present her with opportunities--opportunities she (obviously) makes the best of. [this is a universal life lesson for ALL people, regardless of race, gender, etc.: grow beyond the limitations you find yourself in, excel at your goals, and then help others in the same way]

I find it interesting that she admits she was drawn to Ryan's program at UVA, even though Stringer recruited her to a place where she might have had a more 'comfortable' experience; again, proof that the "Right Fit" is about so much more than race. I certainly think Dawn could/should make that emphasis in her Personal View of The Basketball Universe.

PostPosted: 12/01/18 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
snzuluz wrote:
Before we worry about female black vs white coaches in the women's game we should be alarmed how few women are head coaches at all levels of women's/girl's basketball...men can take head women's Bball jobs on EVERY level of women's/girl's basketball... yet there are very few if any female head coaches of a men's/boy's program,

Big East anyone I love that conference but one black coach and one woman coach...no just no yeah Bruno and Harry are legends, flannery tarts and bozzella have been consistent winners and Crowley has street cred but it's still a bad look...esp when your led by "Wnba founder" Val ackerman...was expecting more ebb caring not less sigh

Bruno and Harry are "legends" only if they aren't held to the same standards as other "legends." Longevity in and of itself does not a coaching legend make.

Oh please. Just because they're in the mids? I beg to differ.

PostPosted: 12/01/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
snzuluz wrote:
Before we worry about female black vs white coaches in the women's game we should be alarmed how few women are head coaches at all levels of women's/girl's basketball...men can take head women's Bball jobs on EVERY level of women's/girl's basketball... yet there are very few if any female head coaches of a men's/boy's program,

Big East anyone I love that conference but one black coach and one woman coach...no just no yeah Bruno and Harry are legends, flannery tarts and bozzella have been consistent winners and Crowley has street cred but it's still a bad look...esp when your led by "Wnba founder" Val ackerman...was expecting more ebb caring not less sigh

Bruno and Harry are "legends" only if they aren't held to the same standards as other "legends." Longevity in and of itself does not a coaching legend make.

Oh please. Just because they're in the mids? I beg to differ.

Other than longevity, what have they accomplished that is so legendary?

I mean Villanova has come in second in their conference four times in the past 30 years. That's a pretty impressive - slightly more than once every decade. They've never won it, BTW. Maybe the 8 times in 30 years Villanova even made the NCAA tournament? That's seriously legendary.

Bruno fares better. He did manage to make the Sweet 16 four whole times. And now that all of the good teams have left the Big East, he can finally win his conference.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 12/02/18 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After her thumping today, it appears she needs some new players.

And to address this article and video, whats wrong with just hiring the best person for a job regardless of race or sex? Im guessing that would be racist of me to suggest something that made any kind of common sense.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/04/18 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread is ___________ Surprised Shocked Mad

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Sprinters/hurdlers/long jumpers are primarily black with paler skin people excelling more at longer distances.

....until you get to the Marathon levels. The Best are typically Ethiopian, Kenyan, etc.

You used to have to go up to the marathon to find East Africans dominating. Now they dominate the other distance events. Every major track running event world record is held by someone of either sub-Saharan East or West African descent with one exception. The 1,500-meter record is held by a retired Morrocan. The 800 meter world record is held by a Kenyan.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staley is probably referring to the major conferences. I don't know what percentage is required for "mostly". If it is true just being above 50%, I think that applies to the starters of the top 25 teams each year, and the same for the starters at the final four, save maybe the year OSU and Washington made it. Of the major conferences, the ACC, Big 12 and SEC all appear to start mostly black players. Not sure about Pac 12 and Big 10.

But coaches don't have to have been starters or to have played at a major college (Cheryl Reeve played at La Salle, Cori Close at UC Santa Barbara) or even Division I, so you do have to look at the entire college landscape.

LitePal

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where are all the Lesbian coaches?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Where to start my dear.....?

PostPosted: 12/05/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Check the closet...

PostPosted: 12/08/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Black NCAAWB Players: 46%
Black NCAAWB Coaches: 17%
Black Americans: 13%

13% of the total population of Americans represent almost half of the WBB players in the NCAA.

Dawn’s not being racist, she is being real. She is combating systemic racism.

If you disagree and have questions about what systemic racism means, please ask.

Respectfully, if possible.

The stats seem to imply that the level of Black coaches exceeds that of the general population. Now you would imply that the fact that the 17% is indeed lower than the 46% or the players involved is proof. Well you have to assume that because someone plays a sport that would automatically make them qualified to coach a sport. That is not necessarily so. Good athletes often make the worst coaches, because they rely too much on their athleticism and thus do not develop their other skills. Fortunately that is changing because you can no longer just be a good athlete and expect to step on the court and compete using just athleticism. If you use the NBA for an example. How many of the 100 best of all time players are successful coach's. I can't think of one. Coaching and playing a sport require different skill levels.

The idea that coaching needs to reflect the same percentages as players makes no practical sense. The issue is not so much about systemic racism in respect to coaching but also opportunity and the trend of recycling and collegiate nepotism. It is much like the race barrier that used to dictate the QB position in football. Once it breaks down it does take time for the openings to provide the opportunities to happen. There are enough bad coaches in WCBB that need to be fired. Colleges just do not hire coaches off the street so it take time for a prospect to pay their dues and work their way through the system. Many of those that would make good coaches are still playing. There are some players that would make good coaches.

I think one aspect that has not yet been considered is how many mediocre female players end up wanting too or getting the opportunity to coach in WBB. That happens quite a bit on the men's side. Those types of players often make the best coaches.

There is another dynamic in sports that need to be considered. Those involved in coaching sports tend to be resistant to change because they teach structure and as such tend to be methodical and are not very innovative or capable of thinking outside of the box. It takes forever for change to happen in sports.

PostPosted: 12/08/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One other aspect, of course, is family. Males, in my experience, are more likely to be willing to head off to the wilds of North Dakota, say, to take a very low-paying assistant job to get a start in the industry. Or to put it another way, they're willing to risk a big move, even if the odds are against success. And for whatever reason, their significant others are more likely to follow them somewhere than male significant others are likely to follow females to a new spot.

And then of course, there's child-raising. The prime time for establishing one's self in the profession is in your 20s, putting in long, long hours for low pay, learning the game, learning how to coach, making connections and building a reputation as a hard worker. Obviously, having a baby makes it pretty hard to do that, and females, again for whatever reason, are usually the ones who make the sacrifices of time and energy necessary to raise a young child.

I'm not claiming these are the only factors in play, or even major ones, but I do think they have an impact on the number of women who try the difficult and low-paying path (for the vast majority) of coaching basketball.

PostPosted: 01/02/19 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow at some of the replies on here.

OK, I just finished reading the article and I thought it was a great article. I think some responses are getting too hung up on numbers and on most. To me, this article read like someone wanting representation. How important it is to have someone that looks like you, had similar experiences as you in charge. I see nothing wrong with wanting representation. She also goes into how difficult it can be to retain that position once you get there. Dawn discussed the difficulties she's faced as a black female head coach and perceptions people have of her. I think the NCAA would be well served to work on an internship program or some program to help out underserved populations make more of an impact in the coaching ranks.

I went in to see how my conference (SEC) is currently doing and I was pleasantly surprised. I think a few years ago, the numbers weren't this good, but currently there are 9 female head coaches and 5 males. Of the 9, 5 are African-American. I think that is great in the SEC. Out of the 9 women, there is even 1 who is an out lesbian. Not too shabby about giving representation I'd say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: