RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac 12 2018-2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/18 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
LitePal wrote:
USC has been without Mazyck (ankle) Minyon Moore (wrist) and Overbeck (ankle). Overbeck came back today but was ineffective in her return against Nevada. The Trojans are 6-0 in a weak preseason schedule but they also are showing some fight with their top two scorers out. JaTavia Tapley and Shalexxus Aaron have been bright spots and Asiah Jones has been very good on defense.

Although they were picked 7th, with everyone healthy, they have the potential to finish higher as well as pull some upsets. Right now, they are the better Southern California team over UCLA.

I agree. UCLA has not yet come together but right now they look more like the 7th or 8th best team and will have to improve to get back to the NCAA Tournament.

Well, if we assume for sake of discussion that the first 5 in some order are Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, Az St, and Cal, if you are putting USC and UCLA at 7 and 8, who is 6 that you're putting in front of the LA schools?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/26/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
LitePal wrote:
USC has been without Mazyck (ankle) Minyon Moore (wrist) and Overbeck (ankle). Overbeck came back today but was ineffective in her return against Nevada. The Trojans are 6-0 in a weak preseason schedule but they also are showing some fight with their top two scorers out. JaTavia Tapley and Shalexxus Aaron have been bright spots and Asiah Jones has been very good on defense.

Although they were picked 7th, with everyone healthy, they have the potential to finish higher as well as pull some upsets. Right now, they are the better Southern California team over UCLA.

I agree. UCLA has not yet come together but right now they look more like the 7th or 8th best team and will have to improve to get back to the NCAA Tournament.

I have USC 6th right now and Colorado seventh. Utah has also played as well as UCLA so far, but I still believe that UCLA has more talent.

Well, if we assume for sake of discussion that the first 5 in some order are Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, Az St, and Cal, if you are putting USC and UCLA at 7 and 8, who is 6 that you're putting in front of the LA schools?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/26/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal is 6-0 but haven't really played anybody and won't be playing anybody (except UConn) before league. They could be 10-1 going into league...and still not be very good. The first weekend vs the LA schools should tell us if they are for real or not.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/26/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Cal is 6-0 but haven't really played anybody and won't be playing anybody (except UConn) before league. They could be 10-1 going into league...and still not be very good. The first weekend vs the LA schools should tell us if they are for real or not.

I agree. The positives for Cal so far are:

1) Kristine Anigwe has returned to her form from her first two years. She also added a 3-point shot, hitting 5-8 this season.

2) Cal has played only 1 game at home, their opener against Houston. Since then they have played 3 road games and 2 neutral site games.

The negatives are:

1) Despite the effectiveness of Anigwe the team is shooting only 31% from behind the arc. That number will need to improve if they are to challenge the top 3 teams in the Pac 12.

2) Cal has been able to get away with a lack of inside depth behind Anigwe but that will change when they play bigger teams. Anigwe has to be protected on the defensive end so that she doesn't get into foul trouble.

I still see Cal as the 5th best team in the league (ASU has looked better even though they have 2 losses) and should make it back to the NCAA tournament, but unless they improve their 3-point shooting I doubt they will maintain their current #15 ranking.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/26/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course Cal isn't the only one who has so far played a cupcake schedule. That goes for all the teams with zero losses. The toughest game was Oregon v. Syracuse. Otherwise the teams that played tough games lost them. Of course they were 'supposed' to lose those games. But it makes me a bit nervous about the league as a whole.

- Amanda Gorman
pearbear

PostPosted: 12/21/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In advance of Cal taking on UCONN, here's an interview I just did with Cal senior Asha Thomas:

https://bearinsider.com/s/1087/bearshare-asha-thomas

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/21/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pearbear wrote:
In advance of Cal taking on UCONN, here's an interview I just did with Cal senior Asha Thomas:

I remember seeing Asha as a Freshman and thinking she had a lot of potential. Unfortunately I don't think she developed much in her 4 years at Cal - she's been steady but not spectacular. I expected more. Not sure why that is.
[coach?]

- Amanda Gorman
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Of course Cal isn't the only one who has so far played a cupcake schedule. That goes for all the teams with zero losses. The toughest game was Oregon v. Syracuse. Otherwise the teams that played tough games lost them. Of course they were 'supposed' to lose those games. But it makes me a bit nervous about the league as a whole.

I wouldn't worry about the league. The teams at the top challenged themselves, even if Oregon or Oregon State had lots of cupcakes, they went out of their way to find a few tough games.

I think some of the other teams that wouldn't wind up at the top are padding their schedules to not look as bad. I do agree that sometimes, you have to lighten the load for a younger team, but not for long.

PostPosted: 12/23/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pearbear wrote:

I remember seeing Asha as a Freshman and thinking she had a lot of potential. Unfortunately I don't think she developed much in her 4 years at Cal - she's been steady but not spectacular. I expected more. Not sure why that is.
[coach?]

What made you think that, her 30-percent FG shooting, 5.4ppg and 1.32 a/to freshman year in-conference?

Or was it her combined 1-9 for 3 total pts in 2 games vs. Stanford?...

By just her 3d year in-conf., she was up to 41FG%, 13.1ppg and 1.9 a/to.

And shot 16-31 for 45 pts in 2 gms vs. Stanford, including Cal's upset win.

She had developing to do as a freshman just to get to steady. I'd be interested to hear what in your scouting report pointed to her spectacular potential?...
(although her 22pts vs UConn w only 1TO yesterday was pretty special)

tfan

PostPosted: 12/30/18 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just looked to see where the WBB tournament would be in 2019 and it is now in Las Vegas like the men.

https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/womens-basketball-tournament

That makes at least 4 conferences who hold their conference women's basketball tournament in Las Vegas: WCC and WAC (at Orleans Arena), Mountain West (at UNLV arena) and Pac-12 (MGM Grand Arena).

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/30/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Just looked to see where the WBB tournament would be in 2019 and it is now in Las Vegas like the men.

That makes at least 4 conferences who hold their conference women's basketball tournament in Las Vegas: WCC and WAC (at Orleans Arena), Mountain West (at UNLV arena) and Pac-12 (MGM Grand Arena).

It's a great town to have a tournament. I'm looking forward to going there.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 12/30/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
tfan wrote:

How is Las Vegas to visit if you have zero interest in gambling?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/30/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some questions for the upcoming Pac-12 conference season as it starts today:

- Can anyone stop Oregon or Stanford who are the clear favorites for the conference title. Will Oregon State improve enough to challenge these two?
- Are Utah, USC, Colorado and Arizona for real with their strong non-conference records?
- Will Utah or Colorado break through to the NCAA tourney.
- Will Arizona, Washington or WSU improve enough to challenge other teams in the conference.
- Will UCLA redeem themselves from their tough nonconference season?
- Will ASU make a dent among the top three teams in the conference?

I'm sure there are many more questions. Just curious as to people's thoughts.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/30/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
tfan wrote:

How is Las Vegas to visit if you have zero interest in gambling?

There are a lot of music shows as well as other forms of entertainment. Also, my friends love going there to eat. You can definitely take advantage of specials geared towards gamblers that are great deals. Vegas has also gotten more hotels that are away from the strip and less focused on gambling.

LitePal

PostPosted: 12/30/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas is a great city with some of the best eating and shopping available. Great people watching. If you need advice on hotels, just ask. I think the Yayoi Kusama exhibit will still be at the Bellagio and it's a must see.

elsie

PostPosted: 12/30/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

better get your hotel squared away....Zags come in the thousands and its the same long weekend as the Pac....

Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/30/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there anyway to get the PAC-12 Network ala carte?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/30/18 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Some questions for the upcoming Pac-12 conference season as it starts today:

- Can anyone stop Oregon or Stanford who are the clear favorites for the conference title. Will Oregon State improve enough to challenge these two?
- Are Utah, USC, Colorado and Arizona for real with their strong non-conference records?
- Will Utah or Colorado break through to the NCAA tourney.
- Will Arizona, Washington or WSU improve enough to challenge other teams in the conference.
- Will UCLA redeem themselves from their tough nonconference season?
- Will ASU make a dent among the top three teams in the conference?

I'm sure there are many more questions. Just curious as to people's thoughts.

I believe OSU is close, but only playing Stanford in Palo Alto will make it tougher.
Based on today Arizona may well be real. ASU always seems to play a few stinkers, but the result today may mean that Arizona could contend for an NCAA berth. Utah winning at Colorado is also impressive, but from what I saw from the Utes in Las Vegas I don't believe they are quite good enough.
UCLA's win today after being down double digits at the half makes things very interesting.
Cal's loss to Harvard brings up some concerns. Harvard sagged down on Anigwe and Cal was out of sorts all game long. This weeks games between the NorCal and SoCal will shed some light on the teams fortunes going forward.
Only Washington and Washington St seem to be relatively easy wins.

Just for fun here are my predictions for the final standings:

Oregon 16-2
Stanford 15-3
Oregon St 13-5
Arizona St 11-7
Cal 9-9
UCLA 9-9
USC 8-10
Arizona 8-10
Utah 7-11
Colorado 5-13
Washington 4-14
Washington St 3-15

Howee

PostPosted: 12/30/18 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And after Round 1, the questions multiply: Cal goes down to Harvard, Utah takes down Colorado, Wazzu downs the Huskies.... Shocked Razz

PostPosted: 12/30/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t recall Arizona having a crowd like that in recent years. Lower bowl stands filled on both sides with an enthusiastic (and WBB characteristic AARP aged) crowd which they announced as a little over 5,000. A WNBA team would have had that crowd announced as quite a bit more.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/31/18 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

Oregon 16-2
Stanford 15-3
Oregon St 13-5
Arizona St 11-7
Cal 9-9
UCLA 9-9
USC 8-10
Arizona 8-10
Utah 7-11
Colorado 5-13
Washington 4-14
Washington St 3-15

This all seems plausible. I haven't looked closely at the schedule but it's hard for me to imagine Washington will find 4 wins...or Colorado 5. There are always some upsets and it's hard on the coastal teams to play at altitude, so maybe, for Colorado. You really think Arizona can get 8? I'm thinking OrSU will be 14-4, ASU 13-6 and Cal 10-8...but that is just quibbling and giving the top teams a bit more while taking away a bit at the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington went 1-17... but they did surprise me by winning a couple of OOC games. I think Oregon could run the table, or just lose 1. This time of year, it's hard to know which teams have the flu when, which can have a big effect in the short run.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/31/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas baby. Will be an interesting season and lack of consistency will be the key. I see teams playing above their game against teams they are the underdogs and down where they are expected to win.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/01/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Oregon 16-2
Stanford 15-3
Oregon St 13-5
Arizona St 11-7
Cal 9-9
UCLA 9-9
USC 8-10
Arizona 8-10
Utah 7-11
Colorado 5-13
Washington 4-14
Washington St 3-15

This all seems plausible. I haven't looked closely at the schedule but it's hard for me to imagine Washington will find 4 wins...or Colorado 5. There are always some upsets and it's hard on the coastal teams to play at altitude, so maybe, for Colorado. You really think Arizona can get 8? I'm thinking OrSU will be 14-4, ASU 13-6 and Cal 10-8...but that is just quibbling and giving the top teams a bit more while taking away a bit at the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington went 1-17... but they did surprise me by winning a couple of OOC games. I think Oregon could run the table, or just lose 1. This time of year, it's hard to know which teams have the flu when, which can have a big effect in the short run.

Despite their loss I still think Washington is a bit better than WSU. Hristova went off for nearly 40 and the Cougars still barely won. Amber Melgoza will have some big days for the Huskies where they could beat the bottom half of the conference. Arizona is the wild card. I have been very impressed so far by Aari McDonald and Cate Reese, but admittedly it was against easy competition. Time will tell whether their win over ASU was a fluke, but I believe that they are a notch above the bottom 4 teams. I saw Utah in Las Vegas and was not overly impressed.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/03/19 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In an ESPN article discussing UCLA's firing of MBB Coach Steve Alford, ESPN Staff Writer Jeff Borzello noted the following, in a discussion as to how UCLA's next coach could get the Bruins back on track:

Quote:
UCLA also can't take graduate transfers -- Alford and his staff tried in 2014 with Jon Octeus, but the school denied him admission -- and they're also unlikely to accept junior college transfers who didn't qualify coming out of high school.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25670309/how-steve-alford-firing-impact-coaching-carousel

I was unaware of this. Is it true on the women's side?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/03/19 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
In an ESPN article discussing UCLA's firing of MBB Coach Steve Alford, ESPN Staff Writer Jeff Borzello noted the following, in a discussion as to how UCLA's next coach could get the Bruins back on track:

Quote:
UCLA also can't take graduate transfers -- Alford and his staff tried in 2014 with Jon Octeus, but the school denied him admission -- and they're also unlikely to accept junior college transfers who didn't qualify coming out of high school.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25670309/how-steve-alford-firing-impact-coaching-carousel

I was unaware of this. Is it true on the women's side?

They have taken transfers, but I'm not sure about grad transfers. I think the problem is qualifying academically.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: