RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Current NCAA coaches who won NC rings as players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/20/18 12:37 am    ::: Current NCAA coaches who won NC rings as players Reply Reply with quote

Name 'em. Preferably head coaches but, if we're stuck, assistant coaches too.

Stephanie White - 1999 Purdue. HC at Vanderbilt.
taropatch

PostPosted: 12/20/18 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford is where I caught the WBB bug so ...

Molly Goodenbour (Stanford 90, 92) U. of San Francisco

Her new assistant coach, Katy Steding (Stanford 90), who was HC at Boston University until last season. Second stint at USF for Katy by the way.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 12/20/18 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim Mulkey.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/20/18 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jen Rizzotti, currently head coach at GW, won as a UConn player

Charotte Smith, currently head coach at Elon, won at North Carolina

Kellie Harper, currently head coach at Missouri State, won at Tennessee

PostPosted: 12/20/18 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki McCray won a national title as a player at Tennessee (91) and is coaching ODU.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/20/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Nikki McCray won a national title as a player at Tennessee (91) and is coaching ODU.

No, McCray's first Lady Vol season was the next year, 91-92.

Nikki Fargas, now head coach at LSU, was on that 90-91 team

Kamie Ethridge, now head coach at Washington State, won at Texas

PostPosted: 12/20/18 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Krista Gerlich (Kirkland) is now HC at Texas-Arlington; was a starter/captain on the 1993 Texas Tech team.

PRballer

PostPosted: 12/20/18 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you’re including all divisions, Carla Berube at Tufts was a key player on the 1995 Connecticut team

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/20/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
If you’re including all divisions

Sure, the coach can currently be in any division, and she (or he) could have won a ring in the earlier or concurrent AIAW national championship as well as the NCAA championship.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/20/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alex Fuller Simmons, 2 rings at Tenn, now HC at Gardner Webb.

Tenn also has a bunch of former players with rings who have gone from HC to AC...

Jody Adams Birch...Wichita St HC to So. Illinois AC
Niya Butts...Arizona HC to Kentucky AC
Semeka Randall...Ohio U and Alabama A&M HC to Cincinnati AC
Tonya Edwards...Alcorn St HC to Sparks AC...where has she landed?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/20/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you want to include current assistant college coaches, then there's Kate Paye, who played for Stanford's second championship team. Kate is now a Stanford assistant.

PostPosted: 12/20/18 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niele Ivey AC at Notre Dame and Sylvia Crawley AC at UNC.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/21/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bridgette Gordon is an AC at Tennessee.

PostPosted: 12/21/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you are talking assistants, Kelly Komara is an assistant at Vandy.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/21/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chris Dailey of UConn won the AIAW NC in 1982 at Rutgers.

Morgan Valley, who won three NC rings at UConn, is an AC at Arizona. Her bio there says she is "one of just two Division I assistant coaches to have played in four Final Fours and win three National Championships." I can't figure out who the other coach would be. I don't think it's anyone from UConn. (Valley's UConn classmate, Maria Conlon, was an AC at Southern Connecticut State in 2007, but that was a Division II school.)
pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Morgan Valley, who won three NC rings at UConn, is an AC at Arizona. Her bio there says she is "one of just two Division I assistant coaches to have played in four Final Fours and win three National Championships." I can't figure out who the other coach would be. I don't think it's anyone from UConn. (Valley's UConn classmate, Maria Conlon, was an AC at Southern Connecticut State in 2007, but that was a Division II school.)

If it's not a former Hussy it must be someone who did it at a lower level. Laurie Milligan was the only player who did that for Tennessee, and none of the Mighty Macs are currently ACs that I know of.

PostPosted: 12/21/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

If it's not a former Hussy it must be someone who did it at a lower level. Laurie Milligan was the only player who did that for Tennessee, and none of the Mighty Macs are currently ACs that I know of.

The schools that have won 3 NC's with 4 FF's within a 5-year period are few.

Div I.....UConn (2001-04 and 2012-17) and Tenn (95-98 )
Div II.... ND State (91-95), Delta State (89-92), and Cal Poly Pomona (82-86)
Div III...none
AIAW....Immaculata (72-75)
NAIA Div I....Okla City (2000-04), Union (TN) (2005-09), and Southern Nazarene (OK) (95-98 )
NAIA Div II...none

So who's an AC from those teams?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/21/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Div III...none
NAIA Div I....Okla City (2000-04), Union (TN) (2005-09), and Southern Nazarene (OK) (95-98 )
NAIA Div II...none

Theresa (Shanks) Grentz won three AIAW rings at Immaculata (72-74) and was an assistant at Lafayette in 2015, but, graduating in 74, didn't go to four FF's at Immaculata. In 1971, her freshman year, there was no AIAW; the predecessor was the CIAW, but Immaculata wasn't in the 1971 CIAW tournament.

Judy (Marra) Martelli, who graduated in 75, won three NC's at Immaculata, was on the 75 team that lost in the FF and, according to a NY Times article, once assistant coached at Villanova. She married St. Joseph's men's head coach, Phil Martelli.

Maureen "Rene" (Muth) Portland won three rings at Immaculata and was on the 75 FF team, but I can't believe she would be the "assistant coach" referred to in Morgan Valley's bio.

The only other Immaculata players who were on all three NC teams were Janet (Young) Eline and Denise (Conway) Crawford, but I don't know whether they were on the 75 FF team or whether they ever were assistant coaches.

Marianne (Crawford) Stanley, who was an assistant at Rutgers in 2007, was only on two of Immaculata's NC teams.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Maureen "Rene" (Muth) Portland won three rings at Immaculata and was on the 75 FF team, but I can't believe she would be the "assistant coach" referred to in Morgan Valley's bio.

Given that she passed away earlier this year, it does seem unlikely

PostPosted: 12/21/18 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Div III...none
NAIA Div II...none

Players from UConn who I believe have three rings and four FF's are: Diana Taurasi, Maria Conlon, Morgan Valley (2004); Ashley Battle, Jessica Moore (5 year redshirts, 2005); Kaleena-Mosqueda Lewis, Kiah Stokes (2015); and Saniya Chong, Tierney Lawlor (2017). I'm not aware that any of these players other than Valley are coaches.

Caroline Doty and Heather Buck (5 year redshirts, 2013) have three rings and five FF's, but are also not coaches.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/22/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Div III...none
NAIA Div II...none

Ndsu won championships in '91, '93-'96, and lost by 2 to Delta State in 92 championship. Jill Devries was the only one who I believe went on to be an Assistant Coach at one of the Div I Wisconsin schools and eventually a head coach at DII Valley City State.

Are there any current male coaches/asst coaches of women's teams that have one a collegiate championship as a player?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/18 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The claim in Morgan Valley's bio may remain a mystery until someone emails her about it.

There must be more assistants with NC rings. For example, Nykesha Sales won a ring at UConn in 95 and is an AC at UCF, and Willnett Crockett won rings at UConn in 03 and 04 and is an AC at Temple.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The claim in Morgan Valley's bio may remain a mystery until someone emails her about it.

There must be more assistants with NC rings. For example, Nykesha Sales won a ring at UConn in 95 and is an AC at UCF, and Willnett Crockett won rings at UConn in 03 and 04 and is an AC at Temple.

Kyra Elzy got 2 rings while at Tenn, and is now an AC at Kentucky.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: