Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 12/19/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
I'm pretty sure hiring literally anyone else would draw the ire of Wings fans. Agler was the only logical choice and clearly the best one.

He was clearly the best of the retreads, but wouldn’t it be refreshing to find someone new and possibly better? I know it’s tough in the WNBA because the pay relatively is not that great and the job security is low if you can’t produce right away (unless you’re a man Wink ). The best coaching candidates aren’t exactly seeking the WNBA.

What is the probability of someone new being better than Agler? 10%? Less? Doesn't seem worth the risk.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/19/18 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
I'm pretty sure hiring literally anyone else would draw the ire of Wings fans. Agler was the only logical choice and clearly the best one.

He was clearly the best of the retreads, but wouldn’t it be refreshing to find someone new and possibly better? I know it’s tough in the WNBA because the pay relatively is not that great and the job security is low if you can’t produce right away (unless you’re a man Wink). The best coaching candidates aren’t exactly seeking the WNBA.

What is the probability of someone new being better than Agler? 10%? Less? Doesn't seem worth the risk.

Well, people consider retreads “safe”. That’s why Thibault still has a job despite never winning a championship.

I don’t blame Dallas for hiring Agler. Like I said, there probably aren’t that many great candidates making themselves available. The best are in the college ranks.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/19/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In fairness to Voepel, it's a far more reasonable article than that silly headline suggests (and writers usually have little to do with the headlines to their stories).

PostPosted: 12/19/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69,

She is on my wish list as well, but now that we have a "REAL" coach, I have no doubt he will go out of his way to make the right moves or cuts to make this team a contender sooner rather than later, and since the Sparks organization is determined to keep feeding the media lies about what really caused Agler to resign, I think that we be his biggest motivation in building something special in Dallas!

Shades

PostPosted: 12/20/18 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s important knowing Diggins is on board with Agler. She might have been disappointed with a lesser coach. She may have been the main reason Fred Williams lasted so long.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/20/18 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades,

Who are your top five centers in this year's draft, and which one would be the best fit in Dallas and why?

bballgrl

PostPosted: 12/20/18 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
zune69,

She is on my wish list as well, but now that we have a "REAL" coach, I have no doubt he will go out of his way to make the right moves or cuts to make this team a contender sooner rather than later, and since the Sparks organization is determined to keep feeding the media lies about what really caused Agler to resign, I think that we be his biggest motivation in building something special in Dallas!

What really caused him to resign? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/21/18 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
zune69,

True. If a NBA or NFL coach did something like this every sports media company from coast to coast would be discussing this very topic. Confused

PostPosted: 12/21/18 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Diggins-Smith likely missing some time and Agler in town any chance he brings Sims to the Wings?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/21/18 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
With Diggins-Smith likely missing some time and Agler in town any chance he brings Sims to the Wings?

Bear in mind she's still a restricted free agent after that incredibly dubious one-year deal she signed last offseason. Along with the fact that that deal may have come with quiet assurances that if she did them that favour then she'd get paid later on.

PostPosted: 12/21/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
zune69,

True. If a NBA or NFL coach did something like this every sports media company from coast to coast would be discussing this very topic. Confused

If an NBA or NFL coach did this they wouldn't be able to get another job right away

PostPosted: 12/21/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard,

+1

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/21/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon,

No thanks, LA can keep her, but Chelsea would be nice!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/21/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight,

When Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones had their public dispute at a popular Dallas establishment, and abruptly resigned a few days later, he was still under contract! He had offers from several teams, some practically begging for his services, but he CHOSE do go a different route.....

toad455

PostPosted: 12/22/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2018/12/21/18150306/wnba-free-agency-targets-dallas-wings-tina-charles-courtney-vandersloot

Don't think Langhorne, Sanders or (!!!) Krystal Thomas end up in Dallas. Charles will get cored again and it'll be interesting if Vandersloot gets cored by Chicago.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 12/22/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2018/12/21/18150306/wnba-free-agency-targets-dallas-wings-tina-charles-courtney-vandersloot

Don't think Langhorne, Sanders or (!!!) Krystal Thomas end up in Dallas. Charles will get cored again and it'll be interesting if Vandersloot gets cored by Chicago.

Agree on Charles. If Charles is unhappy in White Plains, I wouldn't be surprised if she just took a year off like Angel, and Taurasi did. I can't see the Sky deciding to core Quigley over Vandersloot. I'd bet neither one leaves the team.

All in all this seemed like a wishful thinking type article.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandersloot is clearly the better player, and Quigley is a local product from Joliet who went to college at DePaul. She probably wouldn't want to leave anyway. So yes, who to core looks like an easy decision for Chicago.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything other than coring Vandersloot would be nuts for Chicago.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The only player I will consider is Sanders barely

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You just have to wonder what PG Agler can bring over to fill the hole? At #5, there isn't a PG worth taking over someone like Samuelson, Durr or Ogunbowale. Paris Kea and Kenisha Bell are probably the top two PGs in the draft(unless Ionescu declares), and neither seem like first rounders at this point.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/22/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455,

What do you think the odds are he can convince Chelsea Gray to come to Dallas?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/22/18 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
What do you think the odds are he can convince Chelsea Gray to come to Dallas?

Who are you trading for her? Because she's not going to be a UFA until 2021 at the earliest, and LA are matching any offer sheet. And it's hard to see a deal LA would be interested in that doesn't involve the words Diggins and Smith.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas will want to win. They’re not going to start a rookie PG. This isn’t Indiana.

Dallas should hope for Ionescu declaring and Laimbeer picking and keeping her (which I’m skeptical of happening). Then almost for sure (but Ionescu could be used to backup McBride) Laimbeer would be dealing one of his top PG’s. This should be the first place Dallas should look.

Another team with an abundance of PG/combo guards is NYL. Fans are talking like they’re done with Prince, and if LFO feels the same, she might be gotten for free. (Reeve, pay attention!)

There are some RFA’s that would be worth throwing an offer at: Cloud and Boyd come to mind. I’ll check on others later.

Connecticut have excess PG’s, but the only ones you could trust to start for sure are Clarendon and JThomas. Don’t think Brown and Banham are ready to start. Maybe Banham, but it’d be a roll of the dice. JThomas needs a new contract, so if she isn’t tied up with a core, she could be worth pursuing. Not sure she’d want to leave her current situation at Connecticut though.

I believe Cappie is looking for new team to finish out her career, and although it sounded like she wanted to finish with PHX, she might be intrigued with a starting position with Dallas until Diggins game back. Hey, beggars can’t be choosers. You could do worse.

Last edited by Shades on 12/22/18 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 12/22/18 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think Dallas' best option is Faulkner. Injury prone, yes. But definitely capable of starter minutes and running PG efficiently. Dallas takes a PG at #17(Kea? Kennedy Leonard?) and also bring in another PG(Chong? Morgan William? Alexis Peterson? Loryn Goodwin?) to compete in camp.

PG: Faulkner/#17 pick or Free Agent
SG: Gray/Hill
SF: Christmas/Thornton
PF: Johnson/Stevens
C: Cambage?/Plaisance/George
Suspended: Diggins

Shades

PostPosted: 12/22/18 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Faulkner had her second ACL in as many seasons, this time with additional meniscus damage. Doubt she’s available at the beginning of the season. Not sure Dallas would stomach the risk. Like I said, they want to win. The natives are getting restless in Dallas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 11 of 44

Jump to: