RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon's Graves 2 game suspension OU 2 years probation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitePal

PostPosted: 12/05/18 3:22 pm    ::: Oregon's Graves 2 game suspension OU 2 years probation Reply Reply with quote

"failed to monitor and promote an atmosphere of compliance in his program"

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1070370270685421568

Eleanor Myers, chief hearing officer for the panel and law professor at Temple, said that because Graves “actually participated in a violation and acknowledged that” to the Committee on Infractions, the panel “thought it warranted more of a penalty” than Altman.

In the women’s basketball program, the assistant strength and conditioning coach impermissibly participated in on-court activities both during and after practices, including stepping into drills at Graves’s request, which caused the program to exceed the number of allowable coaches.

Graves, who admitted he knew it was impermissible for the assistant strength coach to participate, explained during the committee’s infractions hearing that the on-court activities started with a lapse of judgement and then became more frequent. The panel noted that Graves took full responsibility for the assistant strength coach’s actions during the hearing, but found that he failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance and failed to monitor his staff and his disregard for the rules about impermissible coaching activity did not set the proper tone for compliance in the program.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2018/12/ncaa-to-announce-committee-on-infractions-decision-on-oregon-today.html

tfan

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like the punishment given - with the coach admitting he knew it was a violation - was sufficient to deter other coaches from doing the same.

Quote:
Graves must serve a two-game suspension during this season, the women’s basketball program must reduce the number of countable coaches by one for 10 hours during this season,

Despite Graves admitting his guilt, it says:

Quote:
Graves told The Oregonian/Oregon Live he is “still evaluating with the school and my attorneys what course of action we will take.”

It seems like a light punishment to me Kelly.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Doesn't seem like the punishment given - with the coach admitting he knew it was a violation - was sufficient to deter other coaches from doing the same.

Quote:
Graves must serve a two-game suspension during this season, the women’s basketball program must reduce the number of countable coaches by one for 10 hours during this season,

Despite Graves admitting his guilt, it says:

Quote:
Graves told The Oregonian/Oregon Live he is “still evaluating with the school and my attorneys what course of action we will take.”

It seems like a light punishment to me Kelly.

Light?

Well, you get five games for hookers and strippers...

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017INF_LouisvillePublicInfractionsDecisionF_20170615.pdf

...nine games for academic fraud and unethical conduct, plus lying about it...

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/SMU%20Public%20Decision_Corrected%20Penalties.pdf

...so perhaps two games is about right for an assistant strength and conditioning coach who impermissibly participated in on-court activities.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

some stuff that goes on is egregious. Other stuff is just trying to read and interpret the fine print. It's actually kind of sad how many $ each school has to spend on compliance people and lawyers...just to try to sort out what is and isn't ok. Then there has to be eyeballs everywhere to make sure that someone somewhere doesn't do something 'bad' without even knowing it.

In this case it is interesting that he admitted knowing it was illegal and still did it. But still, you have to think having someone like that participate in drills presumably to fill out a number, is hardly a major offense.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/06/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So suspension means exactly what to the program??

PostPosted: 12/06/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

does anybody really trust the NCAA?.......sure, they'll throw the book at the small schools, like eg St Mary's.....but the big schools?....rarely.....still waiting for Arizona and NC to have little pain.....

IMO, often these little slap on the knuckles for small infractions are just to make things look equal.....probably a whole bunch of bigger issues are being buried.....

Howee

PostPosted: 12/06/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
In this case it is interesting that he admitted knowing it was illegal and still did it. But still, you have to think having someone like that participate in drills presumably to fill out a number, is hardly a major offense.

Really. I mean, who was hurt/hindered? What egregious advantage was gained? Rules are rules, but I believe these kind of 'violations' happen repeatedly below the radar levels at any given school on any given day.

Was he 'warned'? If he did it after warnings, then maybe....Given the Big Picture, this is pretty lame. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 12/07/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But North Carolina can graduate illiterates and make up bogus classes to keep kids eligible, and the NCAA does nothing ...

Makes perfect sense ...

PostPosted: 12/07/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Graves should have just been required to apologize to to Oregon and their fans. Isn't that the standard punishment now?

Howee

PostPosted: 12/07/18 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Graves should have just been required to apologize to to Oregon and their fans. Isn't that the standard punishment now?

Only if he clotheslines somebody. Or punches them. Or sexually assaults them on the floor. But having an extra coach on the floor?? Nuh-uh.

PostPosted: 12/09/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney and Fortner just talked about it during the halftime show.

They didn’t openly say it was extreme or say anything negative about the NCAA. but Chiney equates it so speeding: everyone is doing it, but only a select few get caught.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/09/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wanna bet on when he takes the two game suspension?
my bet is Air Force and UC Irvine Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/09/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
wanna bet on when he takes the two game suspension?
my bet is Air Force and UC Irvine Laughing

I'm hoping he decides not to come to the Bay Area.
Very Happy

tfan

PostPosted: 12/09/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a rule shouldn't be enforced, it shouldn't exist. Why is no one pooh-poohing the coach getting a limited punishment, also not suggesting that the rule be removed?

One good argument would be that since they allow males that are not listed on the roster ("male practice players") on the court with the players, no one should be off limits from going out there. I believe that strength coach could have been legally replaced by an all-American on the football team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/10/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think he should get to decide when to take the suspensions. I think it should be immediate. He should have sat out yesterday against Michigan State, for instance. Not that it would have mattered. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 12/10/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don't think he should get to decide when to take the suspensions. I think it should be immediate. He should have sat out yesterday against Michigan State, for instance. Not that it would have mattered. Twisted Evil

I think the rule is that he has 15 days to decide to appeal or not...so that leaves some leeway. If it were something more egregious, maybe it would be more immediate. I dunno.

But I guess if he had sat out last night, it would have given them a better excuse.

- Amanda Gorman
elsie

PostPosted: 12/10/18 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might be petty but I would guess that other things went on.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/11/18 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
It might be petty but I would guess that other things went on.

is that because of what you thought he did at Gonzaga? Or are you just guessing to be guessing. As Chiney said (indirectly), she thought lots of programs would be in violation if you looked at 'em with a microscope.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: