RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McGraw, Ogunbowale apologize on Twitter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 12/04/18 9:13 pm    ::: McGraw, Ogunbowale apologize on Twitter Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25455067/notre-dame-fighting-irish-coach-muffet-mcgraw-apologizes-players-unsportsmanlike-behavior-loss-uconn-huskies

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/04/18 9:19 pm    ::: Re: McGraw, Ogunbowale apologize on Twitter Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25455067/notre-dame-fighting-irish-coach-muffet-mcgraw-apologizes-players-unsportsmanlike-behavior-loss-uconn-huskies

https://www.amazon.com/Nice-Girls-Finish-First-Remarkable/dp/1888698470

adamj95

PostPosted: 12/04/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is MM apologizing? Or did I miss something?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because she is the coach.

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

There were some pretty un-ND things that happened in the game Sunday. Mabrey whined to the officials, Ogunbowale had a few moments that would have landed her a spot on the hockey team. After Geno said something to her, she said something back and got a tech. Then got a F1. It was kind of ugly.

I'm glad that MM put the apology out there. I don't know how many coaches would do that, there are some that would. It's just unfortunate that people are taking swipes at the apology.

Just a whole lot of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't.' Shows a lot that she was willing to do it.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ucbart

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

There were some pretty un-ND things that happened in the game Sunday. Mabrey whined to the officials, Ogunbowale had a few moments that would have landed her a spot on the hockey team. After Geno said something to her, she said something back and got a tech. Then got a F1. It was kind of ugly.

I'm glad that MM put the apology out there. I don't know how many coaches would do that, there are some that would. It's just unfortunate that people are taking swipes at the apology.

Just a whole lot of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't.' Shows a lot that she was willing to do it.

Don't look now, but this just got a whole lot more juicy. Muffet blocked Breanna Stewart on twitter and Stewie took a screen shot of it, put it it on her twitter feed, and called Muffet out.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is reaching epic levels of pettiness, and I'm here for it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
This is reaching epic levels of pettiness, and I'm here for it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Me too! An a lot of former UCONN players are reacting.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Don't look now, but this just got a whole lot more juicy. Muffet blocked Breanna Stewart on twitter and Stewie took a screen shot of it, put it it on her twitter feed, and called Muffet out.

Gasp!!!!! Stewie's life as she knew it is over. We all know that there is nothing worse than being blocked by someone on twitter. Rolling Eyes

And if Stewie thought that MM was being petty by blocking her, how petty is Stewie being for putting it on blast? Pretty petty in my book. See, I've been taught that two wrongs don't make a right.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

That's not un-Mabrey at all.

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did I miss something? Why did MM block Breanna? Was there a DM that we're not privy to?

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Did I miss something? Why did MM block Breanna? Was there a DM that we're not privy to?

That's what I was wondering?

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Gasp!!!!! Stewie's life as she knew it is over. We all know that there is nothing worse than being blocked by someone on twitter. Rolling Eyes

And if Stewie thought that MM was being petty by blocking her, how petty is Stewie being for putting it on blast? Pretty petty in my book. See, I've been taught that two wrongs don't make a right.

I was waiting to see how a ND fan would spin this. Typical ND, aroorgant bullshit.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats the best part about twitter, you can run but you cannot hide and it shows up those who cannot handle criticism and who are not willing to be accountable for their bad behavior. Laughing Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I was waiting to see how a ND fan would spin this. Typical ND, aroorgant bullshit.

Not an ND fan, but I thought the same thing as ex-ref. And really what's the big deal in blocking someone? I do it on facebook all the time, if you don't particularly want to read what they have to say, block 'em. No big deal.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

That's what I was wondering?

OTOH, we have no way to know when MM blocked Bre...it could have been years ago and Bre may never noticed because she's not on Twitter a whole lot, until she tried to view MM's apology tweet today and discovered she couldn't. That seems more likely.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muffet's apology was spot on. It was both an apology and a lesson to her team. I have not always been a fan of hers but she handled the situation perfectly.

As for the twitter squabble I truly don't care.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/05/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A guide to Muffet McGraw’s Twitter block of Breanna Stewart

The subtle but hostile pettiness of Muffet McGraw -- as opposed to the open pettiness of Geno Auriemma -- goes way back.

There was her defense of one of her bruiser-enforcer players who, according to Doris Burke and other journalists, allegedly shouted "it must suck to be you" into the UConn locker room after a Notre Dame victory in Indianapolis in 2012.

In 2014 McGraw said that, in her mind, the relationship with UConn was "past that point [of civility]" and that, with respect to UConn, "you have to go in there and attack and not listen to everything that's said." Geno called all of this "nonsense". McGraw's hostile comments came after she was caught on video refusing to clap when Breanna Stewart won a NPOY award over Kayla McBride.

Then just last March, a peevishly juvenile McGraw referred to Asia Durr as "the other player" when Durr beat out Arika Ogunbowale for ACC POY. That ticked off Jeff Walz so much that he reminded McGraw that, "My player's name is Asia Durr", in the handshake line after the ACC tournament championship game.

A fish rots from the head down.
Brinx

PostPosted: 12/05/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Not an ND fan, but I thought the same thing as ex-ref. And really what's the big deal in blocking someone? I do it on facebook all the time, if you don't particularly want to read what they have to say, block 'em. No big deal.

But it's twitter, you won't see someones tweets unless you are following them. So why block her and keep her from following you unless it's to be petty? Looking at both their timelines they don't mention each other ever, nor interact with people in ways that they would be seeing tweets unless they followed each other. So it seems like MM would have had to go out of her way to block Breanna, not just deciding she didn't want to see what she posted anymore.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/05/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Muffet's apology was spot on. It was both an apology and a lesson to her team. I have not always been a fan of hers but she handled the situation perfectly.

Perfectly? Did you notice she apologized to ND fans and alums, not to UConn players for trying to hurt them or for saying STFU to Geno during the game?

I find the apology to be not genuine no matter who it’s addressed to. If she really valued how the game is played over winning, why didn’t she bench Ogunbowale after the first couple of infractions?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/05/18 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/05/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who can find the tweet by @Premdawg was a good one. Laughing

taropatch

PostPosted: 12/05/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Perfectly? Did you notice she apologized to ND fans and alums, not to UConn players for trying to hurt them or for saying STFU to Geno during the game?

I find the apology to be not genuine no matter who it’s addressed to. If she really valued how the game is played over winning, why didn’t she bench Ogunbowale after the first couple of infractions?

Yes I noticed that too. That was not an apology.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

AO also neglected to apologize to UConn. It's like they were saying to their fans "sorry we got caught". It seems to me over the last couple of years that UConn players have taken several "inadvertent" fists to the face and throat. Funny but I can't remember any from any other UConn opponent.
MM has said many times that the first step to beating UConn is to not be intimidated.

Quote:
with respect to UConn, "you have to go in there and attack "

I think she is right. But some players interpret that differently. To some it means putting a chip on your shoulder and crying unfair (Mabrey). To others it means being physically aggressive(Ogunbowale).

I don't think MM is promoting bad behavior but I'll wager she sees the alternative to being a lamb going to slaughter.

While UConn's NBA supporters are Kobe and Kyrie I suspect that somewhere in a hidden corner of the Notre Dame locker room there are posters of Bill Lambeer and Dennis Rodman.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Well, they think they're the shit you know.

They're probably proud of the wording. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

This is Real Housewives/Bravo levels of pettiness, and I am also hear for it!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: