RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 CT @ St. Louis 12.4.18 7p cbssn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/04/18 3:19 pm    ::: #1 CT @ St. Louis 12.4.18 7p cbssn Reply Reply with quote

Chaifetz Arena
St. Louis, MO

1st meeting ever, possibly the last.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211782551

PostPosted: 12/04/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

46 20 H

Megan Walker under the weather. Irwin starts.

Looking forward to the 2nd half slugshitshow.

PostPosted: 12/04/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
46 20 H

Megan Walker under the weather. Irwin starts.

Looking forward to the 2nd half slugshitshow.

Au contraire! This had to be the best slug performance. Bent drives the lane and scores; later swishes a 3. Yoko gets a double double.

Amazingly, the lead increased. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are my eyes deceiving me? Have I lost my mind? I am enjoying watching this team FAR more than last years team? I have watched the ND game at least FOUR times already because I loved it so much. The performance was top notch. THey answered every challenge and played with "swag". There were more exciting plays that got me off my butt. Would anyone on UConn last year ever make someone eat their words like Olivia did on that Mabrey block?? SICK! And they have Muff and Rike apologizing on Dec 5th for losing their poise! LOL.

My new founded enthusiasm could be due to several reasons.

1. Christyn Williams and Meg Walker are more skilled and better offensive players than Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams and their games compliment the other 3 starters better. Walker hasn't had a great game but always ends up with about 12-14 pts which is perfect from her. She can be even better. I will get to Christyn below.

2. More cohesive team. Last years team was 4 teams in one. The 4 returning starters, Azura, the 4 lost frosh, and the bench slugs. They rarely meshed. It led to some of the most disjointed play I have ever seen from a UConn team. Some of the ugliest 4th quarter finishes in blowouts (as CTH pointed out the slugs kicked BUTT tonight). Because there's 11 players everyone knows their role and knows they have to play and aren't worried about making mistakes. Ditto the coaches.

3. Nelson Odoba is having a far bigger impact than I imagined. She is still learning how to play but at 6'5 with her athleticism and ability to finish she is only going to get better. She gives us size.

4. Crystal and Christyn have to be the quickest back court in like...forever? If UConn knew how to market it's teams they would make up THE KILLER C'S merchandise pronto. The 2 of them together is just lightning out there. I knew Christyn would be good but who could know as good as this past Sunday this soon? 16 pts in the 1st QTR in a game like that? Doris Burke would have gone Meg Ryan orgasm in the diner scene! And her personality? Cute as a button but will slit your throat! My goodness what a God send to the deer in the head lighters. The real mystery is why didn't anyone in the class of 2019 want to play with this backcourt?

5. Collier has been ROCK SOLID.

No idea how it will end but I am far enjoying this team more than last years.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 12/05/18 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy to see the bench players getting extended minutes and playing pretty well! For all the bad mouthing many of these players get, I trust Geno saw something special in each of them - special enough to bring them to UConn. So they're not the #1-10+ recruits. They work hard (you know in practices they are going after it) and have improved, even since the start of the season.

I like Mikayla Coombs a lot - just wish she could score a bit. She's fast and looks completely unintimidated when on the court. Molly Bent is looking less "deer in the headlights" and had a couple of pretty plays last night - especially the nice 'drive the lane' finger roll she put in. Nights like last night have to boost each bench players' self-confidence. Irwin had 10 rebounds, and could have had more. She needs to hang on to the ball better, but she did well. And Nelson-Ododa is getting better with each game; her rebounding is more tenacious and she seems to be learning how to work around the hoop more effectively. And most of all (at least last night!) she didn't foul so often. Her minutes are crucial, but she'll be limited if she keeps getting in foul trouble.

I suspect that some of the glee expressed by UConn fans (including me) post-Sunday's game, is partly due to how concerned we were about the team beyond the starters. The excitement felt after beating ND, and then nice play from bench v. St. Louis (with the acknowlegement that it WAS St. Louis) may lead to fewer "OMG we're doomed!" posts from the UConn faithful. I sure hope so! Very Happy

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/05/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Are my eyes deceiving me? Have I lost my mind? I am enjoying watching this team FAR more than last years team? I have watched the ND game at least FOUR times already because I loved it so much. The performance was top notch. THey answered every challenge and played with "swag". There were more exciting plays that got me off my butt. Would anyone on UConn last year ever make someone eat their words like Olivia did on that Mabrey block?? SICK! And they have Muff and Rike apologizing on Dec 5th for losing their poise! LOL.

1. Christyn Williams and Meg Walker are more skilled and better offensive players than Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams and their games compliment the other 3 starters better. Walker hasn't had a great game but always ends up with about 12-14 pts which is perfect from her. She can be even better. I will get to Christyn below.

2. More cohesive team. Last years team was 4 teams in one. The 4 returning starters, Azura, the 4 lost frosh, and the bench slugs. They rarely meshed. It led to some of the most disjointed play I have ever seen from a UConn team. Some of the ugliest 4th quarter finishes in blowouts (as CTH pointed out the slugs kicked BUTT tonight). Because there's 11 players everyone knows their role and knows they have to play and aren't worried about making mistakes. Ditto the coaches.

3. Nelson Odoba is having a far bigger impact than I imagined. She is still learning how to play but at 6'5 with her athleticism and ability to finish she is only going to get better. She gives us size.

4. Crystal and Christyn have to be the quickest back court in like...forever? If UConn knew how to market it's teams they would make up THE KILLER C'S merchandise pronto. The 2 of them together is just lightning out there. I knew Christyn would be good but who could know as good as this past Sunday this soon? 16 pts in the 1st QTR in a game like that? Doris Burke would have gone Meg Ryan orgasm in the diner scene! And her personality? Cute as a button but will slit your throat! My goodness what a God send to the deer in the head lighters. The real mystery is why didn't anyone in the class of 2019 want to play with this backcourt?

this.

PostPosted: 12/05/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

this.

Some of the Boners would suggest otherwise Laughing Laughing

I do agree with you. Uconn has been an outstanding defensive team, however the last two final four games were lost on jump shots, now Uconn has a player in Williams much like Durr and Ogunbowale who can create for herself. I always saw Gabby as an undersized forward, while Walker seems to be a big guard.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/05/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams looked good against St Louie but what will happen when she faces a really good team?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/05/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Williams looked good against St Louie but what will happen when she faces a really good team?

Laughing

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: