Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/10/18 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Nobody "has" to play overseas. They chose to do it. If what they make in 4 months of the WNBA is a pittance, somebody give me a pittance. What's your solution for more pay in the WNBA?

Keep in mind that those salaries are before taxes and not after taxes. You can make 36,000 dollars a year according to your company but that is not what you really bring home. It also depends on where you live and the cost of living. So a rookie may make $43,000 but after taxes she may really end up with $36,000 or $37,000.

You thought I didn’t know about taxes? Everybody pays taxes except Donald Trump.
The #1 pick made around $52500 plus whatever she got for ROY ($5000?). They might get to evade taxes on it, but I would call whatever they get for food and housing as income (est around $5000+/season). Then there’s whatever she made with Team USA. Finally (here’s the BIG one everybody forgets about) whatever she makes in endorsements. I think she’s made a killing.... could be the second highest after Maya. Wouldn’t be surprised if she’s signed for over $1 million.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/26/18 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/11/18 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And let's not forget about year-round health care. That doesn't come with every job, and certainly not seasonal jobs. Plus many, if not all, WNBA players get free housing and transportation for 1/3 of the year.

Maybe you couldn't live on that $50,000 + free health care + free housing (for four months' work) in Northern California, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. And in some luckier parts of the country, that's more than enough to live pretty comfortably.

PostPosted: 11/25/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer has a couple players doing well in Australia.
The most intriguing to me is Lindsay Allen. The knock on her has always been her scoring. In the WNBL, scoring doesn’t seem to be a problem, so maybe that’ll encourage her scoring in the WNBA. I’m not sure Laimbeer will keep three PG’s if they’re all healthy, unlike last season.

So what happens? Does he keep three PG’s, trades one of his “co-starters”, or does he let Allen go? It’s only going to be her third year, so she’d be cheap for a couple more seasons. 🤔

This is one of the reasons I wish Reeve wouldn’t have went all in on DRob with an extension on an injured player. You never know who might be available come free agency.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/25/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Laimbeer has a couple players doing well in Australia.
The most intriguing to me is Lindsay Allen. The knock on her has always been her scoring. In the WNBL, scoring doesn’t seem to be a problem, so maybe that’ll encourage her scoring in the WNBA.

Borderline players have been proving for years that overseas scoring is different than WNBA scoring.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/25/18 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, overseas is different as everyone knows, but Allen has never been known for scoring. Laimbeer has always encouraged her to score more, so maybe this is an indication that she’s been working on it and succeeding.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/25/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really wasn't expecting her to be 5th in the league in scoring this season. I doubt Melbourne selected her with scoring in mind either, but good for her for working on that aspect of her game.
She's hitting the 3 at 21/54 = 39%, which is up on her WNBA numbers of 1/29 = 3%
Obviously WNBL performances need to be taken in context, but I don't think they're meaningless.
WNBL Stats Leaders
Lindsay Allen WNBL Stats

PostPosted: 11/26/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
That's just what you want to see...the league's future MVP getting hurt playing in some Chinese province that no one's ever heard of. I hope everyone who thinks the WNBA's pay structure is fine reads that article.

Nobody has heard of it to the point where the article mixes up Shaanxi (her team) with Shanxi.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/27/18 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nobody "has" to play overseas. They chose to do it. If what they make in 4 months of the WNBA is a pittance, somebody give me a pittance.

Whenever I see someone with a take like this, I always wonder whether the person who thinks like that is in the Top 0.1 percent in the world at whatever bullshit it is that they do for a living? And how they would feel about it, if they were in the Top 0.1 percent in the world at their chosen profession, but weren't getting paid like it?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 11/27/18 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do the top .1% of Competitive Archers make a lot? Synchronized Swimmers? Ventriloquists? Jugglers? Windsurfers? Or for that matter Paralympians?

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/27/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Do the top .1% of Competitive Archers make a lot? Synchronized Swimmers? Ventriloquists? Jugglers? Windsurfers? Or for that matter Paralympians?

If you want to make a lot of money, you need to put your time in certain areas (engineering, finance, say) and hope you have the talent to succeed at the level you want.

If you choose to put your time and energy into sports, except for the few sports that generate large amounts of revenue, your odds of making a lot of money go down -- just as they would if you put your time and energy into literature or journalism.

Sure, athletes in the NBA, NFL, MLB and international soccer make quite a bit of money, but there are many, more team sports than those four. So how much does the best lacrosse player in the world make?

PostPosted: 11/27/18 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

No idea. But the point wasn't how much athlete in sport X makes, relative to athlete in sport Y, the point is the cognitive dissonance of somebody who is middle-of-the-road/mediocre in whatever they do for a living criticizing someone who is elite in what they do expecting to get paid like it.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/27/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

No idea.

No idea? Is that cognitive dissonance?

Silky Johnson wrote:
But the point wasn't how much athlete in sport X makes, relative to athlete in sport Y

Shouldn’t that be the point? Isn’t that what we should be talking about, comparing revenue generated from Sport X to that which is generated from Sport Y? Unless of course your only point is to.....

Silky Johnson wrote:
the point is the cognitive dissonance of somebody who is middle-of-the-road/mediocre in whatever they do for a living

.... get personal with a fellow board member. Are you trying to say only a top .1% sports analyst or a Harvard economics professor should have an opinion on the reality of WNBA revenue, when you only need a basic understanding of economics? Not seeing your point. I’m not emphathetic enough, is that your point? I’m emphathetic, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to ignore the reality that most people aren’t as enthusiastic about the WNBA as I am. ESPN pays the WNBA $25 million a year for WNBA broadcast rights. The NBA gets $2.7 billion a year. Is not seeing the difference in revenue some sort of cognitive dissonance?

It’s not necessary to paint or assume that someone is mediocre at what they do in order to discourage what seems to be an unpopular opinion to you. You didn’t need to get personal at all, but since you took it down that road.... I’m curious why you haven’t been posting in over a month? Is it because you got 30 days for this post? If that’s the case, are you telling me in the very first post since then you decided to get personal again instead of just debating the issue? You might not be able to be rehabilitated.

Silky Johnson wrote:
criticizing someone who is elite in what they do expecting to get paid like it.

I don’t recall criticizing anyone. I was just disagreeing with the notion that WNBA players make a pittance, or less than they should be given the revenue they generate. I do hold out hope that someday something will click and the WNBA will become more popular, so much so that ratings will spike and it creates a snowball effect of rising revenue and salaries for players, and owners bidding up the value of the clubs and then there’s expansion and the WNBA becomes like this unstoppable NBA-like monster. But that’s not the reality right now.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/28/18 4:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sticking up for women is not a negative. Women sticking up for themselves is not a negative. Sexism just as every other kind of Ism of holding people down, without listing, is easy to wash over. It takes help for anyone being held back no matter the argument of economics to finally push ahead.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/28/18 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
No idea? Is that cognitive dissonance?

No.
Quote:
Shouldn’t that be the point?

Why should that be the point?
Quote:
Isn’t that what we should be talking about, comparing revenue generated from Sport X to that which is generated from Sport Y?

What we should be talking about how WNBA players are underpaid. And the reason why we know that they're underpaid is the fact that they can make more money than they get paid in the WNBA by playing somewhere else. That doesn't require them to compare their salaries to any other sport.
Quote:
.... get personal with a fellow board member. Are you trying to say only a top .1% sports analyst or a Harvard economics professor should have an opinion on the reality of WNBA revenue, when you only need a basic understanding of economics?

I don't think that you have to be at the top of your profession in order to be entitled to have an opinion, but it does strike me as interesting that people who share your opinion tend to all have something in common, and that something is not being as good at their jobs as WNBA players are at theirs.
Quote:
It’s not necessary to paint or assume that someone is mediocre at what they do in order to discourage what seems to be an unpopular opinion to you. You didn’t need to get personal at all, but since you took it down that road.... I’m curious why you haven’t been posting in over a month? Is it because you got 30 days for this post? If that’s the case, are you telling me in the very first post since then you decided to get personal again instead of just debating the issue? You might not be able to be rehabilitated.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never been banned or suspended from rebkell, for any reason. I hadn't posted in thirty days because the WNBA season ended, and then the FIBA WC ended, and so did my interest in this board. When the WNBA season ends, I shift into NBA mode. I don't watch college sports, men's or women's, so there's no real incentive for me to log in here, at all. During the WNBA offseason, I check this board with roughly the same frequency that I clean out my refrigerator: once a month, whether I need to or not. And, once I get bored with this exchange, I probably won't log back in for another month.
Quote:
I don’t recall criticizing anyone. I was just disagreeing with the notion that WNBA players make a pittance...

And I just wish people would stop pocket-watching.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/28/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't think that you have to be at the top of your profession in order to be entitled to have an opinion, but it does strike me as interesting that people who share your opinion tend to all have something in common, and that something is not being as good at their jobs as WNBA players are at theirs.

Silky - in all likelihood - there is no one who posts here that is in the top .1% or whatever of their jobs, so likely no one with any view on this topic is as good at their job as WNBA players are at theirs. Of course, it is also likely that we simply have no idea of where we rank in our respective fields (and neither does anyone else.)

I think you best point was that WNBA players are underpaid because they can and usually do make more money playing elsewhere. Current WNBA players don't have to play in the WNBA. If enough stop playing here maybe the problem will take care of itself. (It will also likely be true that when they play overseas they will be underpaid compared to American men who play there.)

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/28/18 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Silky - in all likelihood - there is no one who posts here that is in the top .1% or whatever of their jobs, so likely no one with any view on this topic is as good at their job as WNBA players are at theirs. Of course, it is also likely that we simply have no idea of where we rank in our respective fields (and neither does anyone else.)

My only point with that is that you basically never see anybody who is at the top of their respective field look at somebody else and say (or otherwise imply) that they're overpaid.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 12/11/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Las Vegas Aces Unveil (video) - https://www.facebook.com/LVACES/videos/1455827147883557/

Las Vegas Aces Unveil (photo gallery) - https://aces.wnba.com/photos/las-vegas-aces-announcement-event/

MGM Resorts Selects ‘Las Vegas Aces’ As New Name For WNBA Franchise - https://aces.wnba.com/news/mgm-resorts-selects-las-vegas-aces-as-new-name-for-wnba-franchise/

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 12/14/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018 Las Vegas Aces Season Ticket Holder Holiday Party Photo Gallery

https://aces.wnba.com/photos/2018-holiday-party/

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 12/18/18 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas Aces Schedule

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/93/2018/12/2019-Las-Vegas-Aces-Schedule.pdf

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 12/18/18 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MGM Minute, featuring the introduction of the 2019 schedule and an interview with Coach Laimbeer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKa7zhUdo14&t=3s

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 12/19/18 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interview with Coach Laimbeer on the TC Martin Show on the 2019 schedule, season, All-Star Game and more.

https://www.tcmartinshow.com

Click on the link to the right of the page

Shades

PostPosted: 01/16/19 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson joins SEC Network as new lineup tips off

http://www.secsports.com/article/25779053/aja-wilson-joins-sec-network-new-lineup-tips-off

Quote:
Gamecock Great A'ja Wilson joins SEC Network as a college basketball analyst this winter, contributing to SEC Now and calling select SEC games on ESPN2, ESPNU and SEC Network. The WNBA Rookie of the Year already has a bit of on-air experience under her belt this season, providing commentary on a South Carolina game on SEC Network+ earlier this year.

Starting Thursday, Jan. 17 at 6:30 p.m. ET, SEC Network will air a live, 30-minute pregame SEC Now leading into the network's weekly Thursday night women's basketball doubleheader, delving into the unique headlines and untold storylines of SEC women's basketball while previewing the evening's slate of games across all networks.

Wilson will team up with ESPN analyst Steffi Sorensen and SEC Network anchor and fellow Gamecock Alyssa Lang for the first two editions of the new Thursday pregame SEC Now, as well as the 30-minute show recapping Thursday's action from around the SEC. Wilson will also join studio coverage of the 2019 SEC Women's Basketball Tournament in Greenville, SC.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AFO, don’t mess this up.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=25788876&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 01/21/19 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy

PostPosted: 01/21/19 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Probably not getting paid. Of course, that would be true of much of the US Government as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 6 of 19

Jump to: