RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac 12 2018-2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/18 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
LitePal wrote:
USC has been without Mazyck (ankle) Minyon Moore (wrist) and Overbeck (ankle). Overbeck came back today but was ineffective in her return against Nevada. The Trojans are 6-0 in a weak preseason schedule but they also are showing some fight with their top two scorers out. JaTavia Tapley and Shalexxus Aaron have been bright spots and Asiah Jones has been very good on defense.

Although they were picked 7th, with everyone healthy, they have the potential to finish higher as well as pull some upsets. Right now, they are the better Southern California team over UCLA.

I agree. UCLA has not yet come together but right now they look more like the 7th or 8th best team and will have to improve to get back to the NCAA Tournament.

Well, if we assume for sake of discussion that the first 5 in some order are Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, Az St, and Cal, if you are putting USC and UCLA at 7 and 8, who is 6 that you're putting in front of the LA schools?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/26/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
LitePal wrote:
USC has been without Mazyck (ankle) Minyon Moore (wrist) and Overbeck (ankle). Overbeck came back today but was ineffective in her return against Nevada. The Trojans are 6-0 in a weak preseason schedule but they also are showing some fight with their top two scorers out. JaTavia Tapley and Shalexxus Aaron have been bright spots and Asiah Jones has been very good on defense.

Although they were picked 7th, with everyone healthy, they have the potential to finish higher as well as pull some upsets. Right now, they are the better Southern California team over UCLA.

I agree. UCLA has not yet come together but right now they look more like the 7th or 8th best team and will have to improve to get back to the NCAA Tournament.

I have USC 6th right now and Colorado seventh. Utah has also played as well as UCLA so far, but I still believe that UCLA has more talent.

Well, if we assume for sake of discussion that the first 5 in some order are Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, Az St, and Cal, if you are putting USC and UCLA at 7 and 8, who is 6 that you're putting in front of the LA schools?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/26/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal is 6-0 but haven't really played anybody and won't be playing anybody (except UConn) before league. They could be 10-1 going into league...and still not be very good. The first weekend vs the LA schools should tell us if they are for real or not.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/26/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Cal is 6-0 but haven't really played anybody and won't be playing anybody (except UConn) before league. They could be 10-1 going into league...and still not be very good. The first weekend vs the LA schools should tell us if they are for real or not.

I agree. The positives for Cal so far are:

1) Kristine Anigwe has returned to her form from her first two years. She also added a 3-point shot, hitting 5-8 this season.

2) Cal has played only 1 game at home, their opener against Houston. Since then they have played 3 road games and 2 neutral site games.

The negatives are:

1) Despite the effectiveness of Anigwe the team is shooting only 31% from behind the arc. That number will need to improve if they are to challenge the top 3 teams in the Pac 12.

2) Cal has been able to get away with a lack of inside depth behind Anigwe but that will change when they play bigger teams. Anigwe has to be protected on the defensive end so that she doesn't get into foul trouble.

I still see Cal as the 5th best team in the league (ASU has looked better even though they have 2 losses) and should make it back to the NCAA tournament, but unless they improve their 3-point shooting I doubt they will maintain their current #15 ranking.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/26/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course Cal isn't the only one who has so far played a cupcake schedule. That goes for all the teams with zero losses. The toughest game was Oregon v. Syracuse. Otherwise the teams that played tough games lost them. Of course they were 'supposed' to lose those games. But it makes me a bit nervous about the league as a whole.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: