RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Vancouver Showcase schedule and streaming info (Nov 22-24)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/18 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drake is pretty darn good. Excellent passing, ball movement, and drives to the hoop. Good fast break.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/23/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what's up with Shepard?

- Amanda Gorman
CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/23/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
what's up with Shepard?

I think they said it was an ankle injury.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/23/18 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for further clarification, word is that Shepard had a "sore ankle" and might be available to play tomorrow.

Luckily, ND didn't need her as they beat Drake 82-64.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/18 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND prevails, 82-64. Ogunbowale with 30, Young with 25. Prohaska and Patterson started.

The shooting percentages were close, Drake had a couple more rebounds and one more 3 pointer. The big difference was turnovers where Drake had 18 to ND's 8. ND had 10 steals and 7 blocks.

I'm pretty happy with the performance against a tough Drake team without two starters and the backup pg. Looking forward to Shepard's, Mabrey's, and Nixon's returns.

I'm trying to think of another team with a duo of dynamic scorers who are as hard to stop as Ogunbowale and Young. And that's ignoring Shepard, Turner, Mabrey and the bench.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/18 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon St vs South Carolina is underway. Lots of bodies on the floor it seems. Halfway though the first Q, OSU leads 10-6. OSU also dominating the boards with a 10-1 rebounding lead. SCar has bricked three fast break layups.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/18 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the end of one quarter, Oregon St leads 17-8. They also have a 16-8 rebounding edge.

OSU is only shooting 5/17 (29%), but SCar is even worse at 3/18 (16%). Frankly I'm not sure where SCar's points are supposed to come from.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/24/18 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the scoring Ogunbowale's done so far this year, she's easily on course to break the ND scoring record by Diggins. Before the season she needed to average 15.3 ppg to do it, but now she needs 13.4 ppg in the remaining games to do it.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/24/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slocum is being brutalized by Cocky pressure D.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon St leads 37-29 at the half.

Slocum hits a bomb from mid court as time expires, which was about the first thing she hit all day, shooting 2-9 from the floor in total. Slocum is quick and athletic and talented, but she remains undisciplined and it really detracts from her effectiveness. She helped SCar close to within 2 briefly by passing the ball right to the Gamecocks' Henderson (and making no effort to run the floor to defend or potentially rebound) and on the next possession double dribbling on an out of control drive.

For all of OSU's height, they only have 10 pts in the paint while SCar has 20.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/24/18 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina has only 5 turnovers but their A/To is still .5. Their half court offense is predicated on offensive boards. All the guards in the world and they can't shoot or pass.
/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/24/18 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, if you're good at offensive rebounding.........

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So SCar slaps on a very effective full court press and hits a few 3s and erases a 15 pt deficit to tie the game with 24 seconds remaining.

Opponents should trap press OSU at every opportunity, because they're pathetic against it.

They're also not very good at defending in the paint because their big girls are immobile.

OSU up 2 with 1.9 seconds remaining. Inbounded to Cooper at the arc and she launches an air ball.

Now, Ogunbowale would have made that. Cool Laughing

Oregon St survives 70-68.

Not sure ND has the people to press with both Mabrey and Nixon out. But I really hope Shepard plays tomorrow because I think she could have a big offensive game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/24/18 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

was the officiating as questionable down the stretch as the OSU announcer made it out to be? They were complaining major about an O foul called on Pivec and a couple of fouls called on Grymek which they thought were clean blocks.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
was the officiating as questionable down the stretch as the OSU announcer made it out to be? They were complaining major about an O foul called on Pivec and a couple of fouls called on Grymek which they thought were clean blocks.

I commented previously that I thought the officiating during this tourney has not been good, but this game wasn't any worse than the others. Grymek is kind of a klutz with bad hands and worse body control. So from a distance the calls didn't look that bad and she does hack a lot. Even as tall and big as she is, she also got the ball just taken away from her more than once when she was trying to hold it up over her head, including once at a key moment in the closing minute. Now she might have been hacked on that play, but not necessarily, and she draws little sympathy because she isn't strong in holding the ball or smart in getting rid of it. She's no Teaira McCowan or Britney Griner, that's for sure.

Pivec is generally my favorite player on this OSU team, but at this moment I just don't remember the details of what they're referring to. She did throw up a lot of junk tonight, though. And there were some strange calls throughout, as there have been in other Vancouver games.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, at least Rutgers didn't finish last in Vancouver - RUTG 68, ETSU 44

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/24/18 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish I could have seen some of these. But family obligations Thursday and again this afternoon made paying that much for it seem ridiculous. oh well.

Hope the games are interesting today. Enjoy!

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I wish I could have seen some of these. But family obligations Thursday and again this afternoon made paying that much for it seem ridiculous. oh well.

Hope the games are interesting today. Enjoy!

Well, for the $25 you do get to watch all 12 games on replay at your leisure as well as live. I will be curious to see how long they remain available because I have quite a few to still watch.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zags leading WKU 45-34 midway through the 3rd.

I like Gonzaga. They play good, organized, smart basketball. They don't have elite talent, but they're going to win a lot of games.

WKU is pretty good too.

John Stockton is at the game watching his daughter, who plays for Gonzaga.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Championship game between ND and OSU is at 8 ET, while the 3rd place game between SCar and Drake is at 10:30. Seemed like odd scheduling.

The announcers just said that ND as a condition of playing in this tournament said they would not play in the late game Saturday under any conditions so they could take a charter flight home tonight. Organizers agreed to that. Doesn't really surprise me.

But then again these announcers (from WKU) also didn't know or believe that Laura Stockton was related to John when they showed John in the stands earlier. Then they came back a little bit ago with the "revelation" that they had checked and found they are indeed related, as if everyone else didn't already know that. So their credibility is suspect.

That would explain though why the published bracket does not specify the times for tonight's games. If ND was in the 3rd place game, it would have been the first game tonight and the title game would have been the last game, as usual.

Zags win over WKU, 76-55.

elsie

PostPosted: 11/24/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it only took the goofy announcer until 6 minutes left in the game to figure out that Laura Stockton was John Stocktons dtr.....lol

Zags win with their "not elite" talent and go away in 5th place with 2 wins....too bad they were slammed with the number one team in the country in the first game or they'd be in the top 4....

they played ND pretty tough, weren't blown out and kept ND under their usual scoring average......

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/24/18 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
it only took the goofy announcer until 6 minutes left in the game to figure out that Laura Stockton was John Stocktons dtr.....lol

Zags win with their "not elite" talent and go away in 5th place with 2 wins....too bad they were slammed with the number one team in the country in the first game or they'd be in the top 4....

they played ND pretty tough, weren't blown out and kept ND under their usual scoring average......

I think they play very good basketball. ND, though, is playing this tournament without either of their point guards, so they have a hand tied behind their back, and last night played without Shepard as well. But both Gonzaga and Drake were good teams that won their conferences last year and I expect both to repeat this year.

I hope Shepard can play tonight.

BTW I was surprised the organizers paired Gonzaga and ND in the first round. They got a bit of a raw deal on that, and didn't get a chance to face S Car or OSU. I would have liked to have seen them play one of those teams.

I'm never clear how much influence the teams have over who they play in these tournaments. Someone was plainly giving Rutgers far too much credit in the bracketing. It would have been interesting if Gonzaga and Rutgers had traded first round spots.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/24/18 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With both Mabrey and Sheppard in the starting lineup the Irish's championship starting 5 played the 1st period. They trail to O St 29-17 after the 1st.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/24/18 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the half it's Or. St 50 N Dame 41. Looking at the box score it looks as though the difference is simply a case of the Beavers shooting better.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/24/18 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame wins 91-81 with a 4th period surge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: