RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/08/18 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
OMG Geno playing it up big in the preseason.

"I think we are #2 based more on our past than what we have done"

"We haven't been in this situation in a while"

How sad to hear this one came from a man who coached a team of slow white girls with mullets to the Final 4. Who took non highly Jen Rizzoti and won a title with her as PG. Who took Maria Colon from bench slug to starter.

Now he makes it sound like a team with 3 #1 rated recruits and 2 other top 5's is just not up to par with the rest of the nation. The white flag seems raised. He was pacing back and forth so much in a recent practice video senior citizens on the Boneyard were getting motion sickness.

Where is the Geno that took challenges head on? That didn't cower?

To quote a famous tweeter...SAD!

Two words, 99:

Christyn Williams.

And a few more:

Step back from the ledge. Smile

Personally, I think this will be his most defensively-challenged team in several years.
I think come March they will be much improved on defense.

That's the usual scenario. It's more critical this year than in the recent past, imo.

PostPosted: 11/19/18 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The cavalry is starting to get suspicious.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/curious-about-lou.136160/

To answer their question, no nothing is physically wrong with her.

Her coach has given her the green light to shoot for anywhere anytime. She takes a ton of forced dumb shots. That's why people are wondering whats wrong with her.

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/19/18 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I’m wondering how much the AAC is starting to hurt UConn. Sure, they play the most punishing OOC schedule of any team. They have to. But then they play a whole conference schedule of basically cupcakes, interrupted by one or two decent games. That has to hurt them. You just can’t stay as sharp as you should when every game is a blowout.

I think the AAC "challenges" will come more into play with Geno's successor (assuming it will be Shea Ralph or Jen Rizzotti). Time will tell but certainly an interesting factor when you consider UConn's future in the sport!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/18 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I’m wondering how much the AAC is starting to hurt UConn. Sure, they play the most punishing OOC schedule of any team. They have to. But then they play a whole conference schedule of basically cupcakes, interrupted by one or two decent games. That has to hurt them. You just can’t stay as sharp as you should when every game is a blowout.

I think the AAC "challenges" will come more into play with Geno's successor (assuming it will be Shea Ralph or Jen Rizzotti). Time will tell but certainly an interesting factor when you consider UConn's future in the sport!

That "punishing schedule" turns out to be at most five games - DePaul. Notre Dame, Louisville, Baylor, and S.Carolina. That's a lot from a ranking/seeding/credibility standpoint, but is that enough to offset from a preparation standpoint the conference schedule?

And has anyone bothered to look at how Rizotti is doing at GW? They got hot in the conference tournament in a down year for the A10 last year and won the auto bid or would not have been close to making the NCAA tournament (well, at least they would have avoided the 40 pt thrashing by Ohio St). And this year they are just plain horrible. She had better have a dramatic recovery or she has less than zero chance of being hired as Geno's successor.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/19/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the good ways to tell you are dealing with someone who is about 10 years dated with their thinking, are those UConn fans who still think Jen Rizzotti
is a good head coach and possible successor to Geno.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/19/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Sitting here in Virginia and watching GW, I can pretty much say I don't think it will be Jen Rizzotti, unless UConn REALLY takes being an AAC school seriously. /s (I just don't know how to make that snark mark any plainer!)

PostPosted: 11/20/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

That "punishing schedule" turns out to be at most five games - DePaul. Notre Dame, Louisville, Baylor, and S.Carolina. That's a lot from a ranking/seeding/credibility standpoint, but is that enough to offset from a preparation standpoint the conference schedule?

Same old pack of bullshit about the supposedly challenging schedules of the top P5 teams?

I like how you include DePaul and somehow forgot about Baylor. Trying to boost the Irish's "punishing schedule"? UConn has more challenging games after the NY than the other top P-5 teams like N Dame, Baylor, etc.

Since the common opinion here is that UConn's schedule is front loaded, lets look at the challenging games facing them after the new year.

UConn - Baylor, Louisville & S Carolina. Two of those games are away.

N Dame - Louisville, Tennessee. One top 10 team and one pretender. Now I'll admit that while teams like Tenn, DePaul and NCS have presented a challenge to the Irish they are hardly a challenge to UConn. I would put NCS & DePaul at the level of USF.

Once again I'd like fans of other teams to post what they feel is a trio of games like S Car, Baylor & Louisville that appear on their team's schedule after Jan 1. Sure, you can list a bunch of mediorities and claim they are much tougher than what the AAC has but we are talking about challenging games against likely E-8 teams.

UConn will be prepared come March.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/20/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I like how you include DePaul and somehow forgot about Baylor.

Reading is fundamental. You should try it sometime.
I understand that taking a breath before hitting "submit" might slow down your trolling, but still. . .

Quote:
UConn has more challenging games after the NY than the other top P-5 teams like N Dame, Baylor, etc.

That is, of course, utter horseshit, but then I suspect you knew that when you posted it.

BTW, I guess you didn't watch SCar get squashed by MD before you proclaimed what a tough game that is.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/20/18 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I like how you include DePaul and somehow forgot about Baylor.

Reading is fundamental. You should try it sometime.
I understand that taking a breath before hitting "submit" might slow down your trolling, but still. . .

Quote:
UConn has more challenging games after the NY than the other top P-5 teams like N Dame, Baylor, etc.

That is, of course, utter horseshit, but then I suspect you knew that when you posted it.

BTW, I guess you didn't watch SCar get squashed by MD before you proclaimed what a tough game that is.

OK Art, name the teams at the level of Baylor that N Dame has on their schedule after Jan 1. There are 5 ranked teams. UConn also has 5. Both teams play Louisville, so the comparison comes down to:

UConn - Baylor(4), S Car(13) & 2 games vs USF(17)
N Dame - Tenn(11), Miami(24), NCSt(15) & Syracuse(14)

Those are the facts Art. You can whine and attack me all you want but the facts are clear.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/21/18 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boston to SC. The chickens have come home to roost.

The conference, the last 2 years choke jobs, casting a small net in recruiting.

But all is well right CT?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/18 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Boston to SC.

A huge and even shocking loss for at least two reasons. As a fairly local player who has attended numerous UConn games, Boston was expected by most who follow recruiting to be the closest thing to a lock that UConn has had in years. In addition, as a big, strong, paint-banging center, Boston was the most important piece in the UConn jigsaw puzzle. Without her, UConn will be short in height, except for ONO, and shallow in bench next season.

If UConn misses out on Haley Jones, the uncommonly successful UConn peak-bagging program will be on the other side of the mountain.
acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/22/18 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
Boston to SC.

A huge and even shocking loss for at least two reasons. As a fairly local player who has attended numerous UConn games, Boston was expected by most who follow recruiting to be the closest thing to a lock that UConn has had in years. In addition, as a big, strong, paint-banging center, Boston was the most important piece in the UConn jigsaw puzzle. Without her, UConn will be short in height, except for ONO, and shallow in bench next season.

If UConn misses out on Haley Jones, the uncommonly successful UConn peak-bagging program will be on the other side of the mountain.

We are not getting Jones.

There is a reason I raged at Geno for last year's loss to ND while people on here tried to rationalize it or get over it. It was going to have lasting consequences. Players figured out several things. You get more attention by beating UConn than for playing for them now. IE. Morgan Williams and Arike are now household names.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/22/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Boston to SC. The chickens have come home to roost.

The conference, the last 2 years choke jobs, casting a small net in recruiting.

But all is well right CT?

As I said yesterday in the 2019 commitment thread, it's a "major Geno whiff".

All is NOW no longer well, and I'm just as pissed at the last two years' lost opportunities, and the reasons for them, as you.

The question I have is, will this season be the last FF appearance, or was last year's?

Smile

PostPosted: 11/22/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a finite length of time for a dynasty of maybe 12-15 years, and has UConn now reached its end, like Tenn before it?

bballnut901

PostPosted: 11/22/18 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fans freaking out is comical to me. Fans somehow forget that even if you miss out on Jones too, your roster next year will still have two number 1 recruits and 2 other top 5 recruits on it. Good lord, you'll still have more talent than 99% of the other teams out there. And if Geno does land Jones, everyone will be praising him for landing three consecutive number 1 recruits...something that's never been done before.

Before UCONN fans start talking about last year being their last Final Four, let's see UCONN actually lose a regular season game (something that's happened just once in 5.5 years) before we start that discussion.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 11/22/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
Boston to SC.

We are not getting Jones.

There is a reason I raged at Geno for last year's loss to ND while people on here tried to rationalize it or get over it. It was going to have lasting consequences. Players figured out several things. You get more attention by beating UConn than for playing for them now. IE. Morgan Williams and Arike are now household names.

Why are you so sure Jones isn't going to UConn? Even if Jones doesn't come to UConn, that doesn't mean that end is near for UConn. They can still end up winning a national championship this year. Next season, barring any transfers, they will be starting two #1 ranked players, a #3 ranked player, and a #5 rank player. UConn will have three #1 ranked players coming out of HS if they get Jones.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/22/18 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always good to see Boner posts here.

PostPosted: 11/22/18 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Always good to see Boner posts here.

Over on the Yard, the majority of the posters are committing digital seppuku. Pretty soon it will be deserted - see there is an upside to the dynasty ending. Very Happy

PostPosted: 11/22/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here:

Ole Miss boxscore:

Kyle Irwin: 14 minutes 0-1 FG 0 points 2 rebounds 0 assists

Olivia Nelson O: 12 minutes 3-5 FG 11 points 2 rebounds 1 assist

Bat Camara: 5 minutes 2-3 FG 4 points 1 rebounds 1 assist

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/23/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two reasons why UConn didn't win a natty the past two seasons:

TIME AND SCORE!!!!! There's 1 second on the clock, the player basically has one option (shoot) so why not already be closed out and have a hand up? It happened not once, but TWICE! In similar fashion!!!!!!!! Maybe save fouls to give in the fourth quarter so it doesn't happen a third time?

STEP THE EFF UP!!!!! It seems like a lifetime ago when Taurasi DEMANDED the ball. She wanted the big shots..I remember she missed two free throws against Texas in the Final Four her junior year and they were down..but she kept with it and kept at it. Stewie - it didn't matter if she had an off game, she would get in her rhythm...then you have players like KLS who seemingly run away from the ball in such situations. Step up and make a play happen! Why do you think Chong felt like she had to take charge in 2017? Nobody else even called for the ball or anything!

Okay, also to the UConn fans on the ledge: ND won a natty this past season with 5 players all playing nearly 40 minutes if not most of them doing so. UConn also has a freshman who's getting better with each game putting up double figures so don't poop your chonies just yet!

Last edited by SDHoops on 11/23/18 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/23/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post. PS - addition by subtraction with Stevens gone. She said openly she wanted to roam on the perimeter and be the female KD. Umm KD actually makes a lot of his outside shots..Stevens makes hardly any. She was most effective in the post, but didn't want that role. So she would've been on Geno's s**t list this season anyway

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/23/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Two reasons why UConn didn't win a natty the past two seasons:

TIME AND SCORE!!!!! There's 1 second on the clock, the player basically has one option (shoot) so why not already be closed out and have a hand up? It happened not once, but TWICE! In similar fashion!!!!!!!! Maybe save fouls to give in the fourth quarter so it doesn't happen a third time?

STEP THE EFF UP!!!!! It seems like a lifetime ago when Taurasi DEMANDED the ball. She wanted the big shots..I remember she missed two free throws against Texas in the Final Four her junior year and they were down..but she kept with it and kept at it. Stewie - it didn't matter if she had an off game, she would get in her rhythm...then you have players like KLS who seemingly run away from the ball in such situations. Step up and make a play happen! Why do you think Chong felt like she had to take charge in 2017? Nobody else even called for the ball or anything!

Okay, also to the UConn fans on the ledge: ND won a natty this past season with 5 players all playing nearly 40 minutes if not most of them doing so. UConn also has a freshman who's getting better with each game putting up double figures so don't poop your chonies just yet!

KLS wasn't running away from the ball yesterday or most days. If anything she forces at least 5-7 dumb shots a game. Where she catches with like 20 secs on the shot clock and fires away without even looking at anyone. She did the same thing in key stretches of the last 2 Final 4 losses in crunch time. Hey who can blame her, she has the green light to do so.

If you want another example of Auriemma mailing it in, he actually argued the completely legitimate push off call on Collier in the 1st QTR. She literally pushed her defender down. And Geno argues it. His lack of composure was huge in the ND loss as he freaked out over every call. That behavior does not give the team confidence. He reminds me right now of Summitt did in 1999-2006.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/23/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next year's recruiting (2020) will decide whether or not UCONN is able maintain its status as an elite program. They still have enough high quality talented players to contend for the NC next year even with a short bench. Next year will definitely be a good year to be in a crappy league as they can play everyone with impunity for protracted periods of time and not worry about a loss and therefore rest their starters.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 11/26/18 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/25/18 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So quiet today wonder why LMAO. But then only real fans would skip games when they can’t make shit up.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/25/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
So quiet today wonder why LMAO. But then only real fans would skip games when they can’t make shit up.

Does anyone know what the above means?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: