RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other Games Week of 11-19 thru 11-25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/19/18 8:34 pm    ::: Other Games Week of 11-19 thru 11-25 Reply Reply with quote

So Belmont at MTSU highscoring affair 21-22 midway thru the third Shocked

Last edited by myrtle on 11/23/18 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 11/19/18 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, I was impressed when you started threads (except put dates on them) for games you were interested in. Why stop? These miscellaneous threads still irk me. If you guys like miscellaneous, we can just put all commentary in one thread in the general NCAA forum, and we don’t even need this forum.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/19/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Myrtle, I was impressed when you started threads (except put dates on them) for games you were interested in. Why stop? These miscellaneous threads still irk me. If you guys like miscellaneous, we can just put all commentary in one thread in the general NCAA forum, and we don’t even need this forum.

I'm thinking a lot of the 'other' games are really not that important and are just a bit of a side note. So it seems like if the 'important' games you put up have their own thread that's great, but why have 20 additional threads for games that only one or two people might find interesting?

ie. I've kinda watched a lot of MTSU and Belmont over the years, so find them interesting, but who else on here does? Maybe someone will notice the game is on and watch a little bit. Maybe not.

And btw Belmont did win 45-36.

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/19/18 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm thinking a lot of the 'other' games are really not that important and are just a bit of a side note. So it seems like if the 'important' games you put up have their own thread that's great, but why have 20 additional threads for games that only one or two people might find interesting?

ie. I've kinda watched a lot of MTSU and Belmont over the years, so find them interesting, but who else on here does? Maybe someone will notice the game is on and watch a little bit. Maybe not.

And btw Belmont did win 45-36.

That was a very low scoring game. Massey had the Over at 125.5. It was 81.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On Thanksgiving day, Kentucky whipped USF, St John's beat Purdue, and NCSt squeaked past Mich St.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/22/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On Wednesday, the South Dakota Coyotes held off the previously undefeated Wichita State Shockers, 73–64. There were over 1800 people in the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls. The crowd was loud and very into the game, and the atmosphere was really fun!

adamj95

PostPosted: 11/23/18 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gophers are up 40-16 over Cornell at halftime.

PostPosted: 11/24/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia Tech rallies back to knock off Nova 61-59.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 11/24/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland took out Georgia by 7, seemed to be a tight game

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/24/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette had to scramble today to move their game against UIC today to the Fiserv Forum (the Milwaukee Bucks new arena). This is due to a drunk driver driving into the Al McGuire Center at 2:30 AM. The car ended up on the court! This is the second time in a little over a year a car has driven into the Al.

MU leads 13-3 at the first official timeout.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/24/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Marquette had to scramble today to move their game against UIC today to the Fiserv Forum (the Milwaukee Bucks new arena). This is due to a drunk driver driving into the Al McGuire Center at 2:30 AM. The car ended up on the court! This is the second time in a little over a year a car has driven into the Al.

Crazy! They must need some of those concrete piers or barriers to protect it!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/24/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

It really seems odd to me. The other one happened during the day and was thought to be a medical emergency for the driver originally. This one definitely seems to be a drunk driver. I saw security footage on twitter and looks like the driver first entered the building but didn’t go too far in initially - he then backed up and went forward more and ended up on the court. I’m wondering when they’re going to be able to play in the Al again. They have two home games scheduled in the next 8 days.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/24/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Central Michigan takes down Virginia at Virginia 74-61. Looks like Tina has her work cut out for her.

- Amanda Gorman
CompSci87

PostPosted: 11/24/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

It really seems odd to me. The other one happened during the day and was thought to be a medical emergency for the driver originally. This one definitely seems to be a drunk driver. I saw security footage on twitter and looks like the driver first entered the building but didn’t go too far in initially - he then backed up and went forward more and ended up on the court. I’m wondering when they’re going to be able to play in the Al again. They have two home games scheduled in the next 8 days.

Crazy! I wonder whose insurance pays to fix the damage and how much.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/24/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I was wondering about that myself. I'm guessing they had to pay to use the Fiserv Forum today too. And I"m not sure if insurance would cover that at all. And that's not to mention repairing the damage. I heard a fan today say they needed a crane to remove the car - not sure if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I'm guessing that there was a lot of damage to seats since the car had to drive over the rolled up seats to get to the court and there's damage to where the car drove in the building also.

This may impact volleyball too - they said during the BET championship tonight that there was a chance they could host NCAA tourney games. I'm not sure if they'd really get picked for that but I'd hate to see them miss out on that just because the Al isn't available now.

Marquette's next home game is against cross-town rival UW-Milwaukee on Wednesday and I truthfully wouldn't be surprised to see it get moved to UWM. But I'll have to wait and see what they announce about the game location in the next couple days.

Here's a link to a tweet with the video of the accident if anyone is interested:
https://twitter.com/MU_Wire/status/1066409985293328385

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/26/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winthrop came up to JMU Sunday and went home feeling sad as JMU added to the loss column on their record and tLynette Woodard's team is now 1-5. Final was 56-39, but honestly, Winthrop is not *that* bad. I can find many good things to say about their defense, for instance, and some of their shot selection. I think they will get better; they have a LOT of freshmen and sophomores on their team and Coach Woodard is only in her second year.

As for JMU, they had one out with injury (Lexie Barrier, who is day-to-day) and our big girl, Kelly Koshuta, was suspended for one game a week ago for that nebulous "violation of team rules" and has yet to return. That last really hurts as we're down to two bigs, Kayla Cooper-Williams and Devon Merritt, although if they stay out of foul trouble we're good. Merritt is faster than Koshuta although she's an inch shorter. We have one other sort of big but she's a freshman and until recently had her foot in a boot, so she's probably not to be counted on.

PostPosted: 11/26/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I was wondering about that myself. I'm guessing they had to pay to use the Fiserv Forum today too. And I"m not sure if insurance would cover that at all. And that's not to mention repairing the damage. I heard a fan today say they needed a crane to remove the car - not sure if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I'm guessing that there was a lot of damage to seats since the car had to drive over the rolled up seats to get to the court and there's damage to where the car drove in the building also.

This may impact volleyball too - they said during the BET championship tonight that there was a chance they could host NCAA tourney games. I'm not sure if they'd really get picked for that but I'd hate to see them miss out on that just because the Al isn't available now.

Marquette's next home game is against cross-town rival UW-Milwaukee on Wednesday and I truthfully wouldn't be surprised to see it get moved to UWM. But I'll have to wait and see what they announce about the game location in the next couple days.

Here's a link to a tweet with the video of the accident if anyone is interested:

Isn't the Milwaukee Arena/MECCA/etc. still standing and still in use? Why not use that?

I remember attending the big annual Milwaukee Journal track meet in that Arena with my dad a couple times around 1960. That was in the heyday of amateur and collegiate track and field. Top national runners participated. Also went to the auto show there when I was little. They've made good use of that place for a long time. Better than they did the Bradley Center.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/26/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The north side of the Al McGuire center is one huge glass wall. There is a sidewalk just outside and then there is Wells street. They might need to fortify that area with some horizontal steel bars to prevent this from happening again.

PostPosted: 11/26/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

This is a prime example of how I came up with the name of "Myrtlicious"....Myrtle + Malicious = MYRTLICIOUS.

Yes, what WERE you *thinking*....? That this is still a Democracy? That you can just insert your will here at Rebkell's? You act as if this were your very own private domain, and inflict your threads on us at every turn. I'm afraid I must recommend nothing short of Impeachment. And a 5-pt deduction from your Tipping Game score. Razz

PostPosted: 11/26/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Isn't the Milwaukee Arena/MECCA/etc. still standing and still in use? Why not use that?

I remember attending the big annual Milwaukee Journal track meet in that Arena with my dad a couple times around 1960. That was in the heyday of amateur and collegiate track and field. Top national runners participated. Also went to the auto show there when I was little. They've made good use of that place for a long time. Better than they did the Bradley Center.

It's called the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena now and I think it likely wasn't available as the Milwaukee Admirals (minor league hockey) had a game there that day. The Fiserv Forum worked well for the game for that day. I have no idea of the cost for using it that day and of course it's not my business Smile.

They did move Wednesday's game to UW-Milwaukee's on campus arena which I was guessing might happen. I don't think playing there will hurt them much and the travel is easy of course since it's maybe a 10 minute drive from MU's campus. They are working hard to get the Al ready for Friday/Saturday NCAA volleyball games so basketball will be back at the Al for their Sunday game versus Michigan. Lots of work for the Marquette staff this week but I'm very glad Volleyball didn't lose their opportunity to host in the NCAA Tourney with this damage to the Al.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/26/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The north side of the Al McGuire center is one huge glass wall. There is a sidewalk just outside and then there is Wells street. They might need to fortify that area with some horizontal steel bars to prevent this from happening again.

And this guy drove down steps and drove over rolled up seats to get down to the court - crazy. Thankfully something like that doesn't happen often and so glad no one was in the building when it happened. The surveillance video and pictures I've seen are quite interesting (saw a pic today with the door the car drove through lying on the concourse). I've been to countless games there since it first opened in 2004 and never pictured anything like this happening.

I'm sure they will evaluate if there is anything they want to do outside of the building but they had nothing like this happen for 13 years and now it's happened twice in 13 months. Although the damage for this is one is much worse than last year's crash.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/27/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

And this guy drove down steps and drove over rolled up seats to get down to the court - crazy. Thankfully something like that doesn't happen often and so glad no one was in the building when it happened. The surveillance video and pictures I've seen are quite interesting (saw a pic today with the door the car drove through lying on the concourse). I've been to countless games there since it first opened in 2004 and never pictured anything like this happening.

I'm sure they will evaluate if there is anything they want to do outside of the building but they had nothing like this happen for 13 years and now it's happened twice in 13 months. Although the damage for this is one is much worse than last year's crash.

Makes you think he did it on purpose!

PostPosted: 11/27/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Makes you think he did it on purpose!

I'm thinking the driver was very intoxicated - I'm very interested to hear about the BAC results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: