RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Anonymous Coach Survey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/06/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Quote:
And though Cori Close gets lots of criticism, she has also moved a team from irrelevance into relevance.

Excuse me? You were the one who high handedly said that it was Nikki Caldwell who moved UCLA to relevance and the school didn't care when they let LSU pay her a ridiculous salary to get her away from UCLA. Now it's Cori Close? You might try keeping your conversations to your alma maters, Cal and UCSB, where there is plenty for you to boo hoo about.

And UCLA had the third highest average attendance in the Pac last season, behind only Oregon and OSU and yes, ahead of Stanford at 3,114.

Sorry ... didn't mean to offend you.

Nikki left in 2011 and in her first three seasons, Cori was 72-60, with one 26-8 season. Since then, she's 78-26.

So from the perspective of this century, Vargas bumped it way up after replacing Kathy Olivier, and despite a minor slump, Close kept the Bruins there.

From the perspective of this decade, Close started slow, with three of her first four seasons not exactly qualifying as sterling, but then took a major jump. So one could say that UCLA was still relevant in her first four years, but I do think it's fair to say the program is much more relevant now.

Again, my apologies for my high-handedness ...

PostPosted: 11/06/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Strikes me as more relevant to the issue is what did she do with the number 1 recruiting class in the country?

Answer seems to be "not much".

Seems they were "relevant" because they were supposed to be really good more than because they actually were really good.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/06/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the #1 class, Close never won the Pac title, never won the Pac championship and finished in the Elite Eight in her last season. Kathy Olivier also made it to the Elite Eight. Close's percentage overall is .636 and in the Pac 627, Olivier was .527 and 526. Fargas, not VARGAS was 735 and 741.

And just to be clear, you were the one who said UCLA didn't care about womens basketball because they wouldn't pony up 750k to keep Caldwell. Now Close has made them relevant?

As I said, you can concentrate on Gottleib and Hendrickson.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/06/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
With the #1 class, Close never won the Pac title, never won the Pac championship and finished in the Elite Eight in her last season. Kathy Olivier also made it to the Elite Eight. Close's percentage overall is .636 and in the Pac 627, Olivier was .527 and 526. Fargas, not VARGAS was 735 and 741.

And just to be clear, you were the one who said UCLA didn't care about womens basketball because they wouldn't pony up 750k to keep Caldwell. Now Close has made them relevant?

As I said, you can concentrate on Gottleib and Hendrickson.

I would stand by the statement on UCLA's payment ...

And it's "Henrickson," not "Hendrickson."

I do feel that everyone on this board has the right to comment on whatever they like, so I'm afraid I will likely continue to offend you on occasion. Nothing personal, but if I have something I'd like to say about UCLA, I will most likely do so.

PostPosted: 11/07/18 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyola Marymount 69, UCLA 63.

Was someone discussing UCLA's relevance and Coach Close's role therein?

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/07/18 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can stand by your statement on UCLA's payment because it clearly shows you know nothing about UC economics. Of course, UCLA was never in a position where they were almost going to eliminate certain sports altogether because their athletic budget was in such disarray. Like, oh, Cal? Part of that is understanding what to pay a coach in a non-revenue sport. They might have been stuck with, oh, maybe Gottleib at 620K?

Tonight Close's UCLA lost to crosstown LMU, not even rivals, in a terrible display of basketball. It was LMU's first victory over UCLA ever. Whatever relevance you may think she's brought to UCLA with her #1 class is quickly disappearing. I have no problem with different opinions but saying that Close brought relevance to UCLA is just wrong.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/07/18 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
You can stand by your statement on UCLA's payment because it clearly shows you know nothing about UC economics. Of course, UCLA was never in a position where they were almost going to eliminate certain sports altogether because their athletic budget was in such disarray. Like, oh, Cal? Part of that is understanding what to pay a coach in a non-revenue sport. They might have been stuck with, oh, maybe Gottleib at 620K?

Tonight Close's UCLA lost to crosstown LMU, not even rivals, in a terrible display of basketball. It was LMU's first victory over UCLA ever. Whatever relevance you may think she's brought to UCLA with her #1 class is quickly disappearing. I have no problem with different opinions but saying that Close brought relevance to UCLA is just wrong.

LMU got a great game from former Cal player and highly ranked (as a prep) Gabby Green, among other things. Close justified her ranking on this list with this one, though ...

Ugly way to start the season for a No. 23 (supposedly) team ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: