RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 10/01/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle just won the title with 0 traditional 5s in their rotation, why is everyone so certain Emma can't play minutes at center?

toad455

PostPosted: 10/01/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle almost lost to Phoenix with a bigger line-up. Seattle's smaller line-up worked vs. the likes of Sanders, Hawkins & Hines-Allen.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Seattle just won the title with 0 traditional 5s in their rotation, why is everyone so certain Emma can't play minutes at center?

I absolutely think she can, I just think both she and EDD are at their optimum usefulness with a Sanders/Linskens/whoever doing a bunch of the grunt-work alongside them. It may well work out that they're better off as 4/5 rather than 3/4, but either way I just think it's a slight shame they've ended up on the same roster.

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

I absolutely think she can, I just think both she and EDD are at their optimum usefulness with a Sanders/Linskens/whoever doing a bunch of the grunt-work alongside them. It may well work out that they're better off as 4/5 rather than 3/4, but either way I just think it's a slight shame they've ended up on the same roster.

Meesseman just gets tossed around inside against bigger centers. Thibault tried that experiment in 2017. Maybe Emma can convince Linskens to come over and play for the Mystics and back-up Sanders?

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Meesseman just gets tossed around inside against bigger centers. Thibault tried that experiment in 2017. Maybe Emma can convince Linskens to come over and play for the Mystics and back-up Sanders?

So Emma at center is bad against uhhh, 3 teams? I think we can live with that.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emma was getting beat by the likes of Kiah Vaughn, Courtney Paris & Dolson in 2017; not just Griner, Fowles & J. Jones. Thank goodness Krystal Thomas was halfway decent last year.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/01/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

THIS and it is the same on the mens side. The game has changed peeps.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
EDD/Emma at the 4/5 can work if they are committed to rebounding and playing defense...Sure Cambage,Fowles and Griner would be a tough guard,but the aforementioned players would have all sorts of problems trying to guard EDD or Emma(transition,open space,away from the basket,making the defensive rotation)

Yeah, it’ll probably work out that way. Sanders will have to understand. It’s not like she’s your conventional WNBA center either.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Emma was getting beat by the likes of Kiah Vaughn, Courtney Paris & Dolson in 2017; not just Griner, Fowles & J. Jones. Thank goodness Krystal Thomas was halfway decent last year.

Meesseman is probably improved since you last saw her in the WNBA. She was the 2018 Euroleague tournament MVP, and now she’s a World Cup All Star.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/01/18 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

THIS and it is the same on the mens side. The game has changed peeps.

Not really though. Phoenix were doing the same a decade ago.
As long as Emma exploits her mismatch at the other end better than her opposing 'true 5' does against her then it's a net win.

PostPosted: 10/16/18 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver hired by Wizards as assistant coach

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/kristi-toliver-wizards-coach-nba-wnba/

Quote:
She joins David Adkins, Mike Terpstra and Maz Trakh on the back of the Wizards’ bench.

PostPosted: 10/16/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So - will she still play for the Mystics. Nothing on the Mystics web page about it. Season's don't overlap that much but WNBA training probably starts before the NBA season is over and NBA training camp may start before NBA season is over....???

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/16/18 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats a nice gig for KT.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/16/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious how this will work out if she plays in 2019? And I'd have to imagine if she does play, 2019 will be her last season.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/16/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn't seem ready for retirement to me - looked like she had a number of seasons left in the tank, but I didn't follow her that close.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/17/18 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Curious how this will work out if she plays in 2019? And I'd have to imagine if she does play, 2019 will be her last season.

It shouldn't be a problem unless the Wizards make a deep playoff run. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/17/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It shouldn't be a problem unless the Wizards make a deep playoff run. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Way to make me conflicted... Evil or Very Mad

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/19/18 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today's Washington Post re Kristi and the Wizards's home opener:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/19/kristi-toliver-makes-historic-debut-washington-wizards-assistant-coach/?utm_term=.a093b347d3bd

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grats to Toli.

- Amanda Gorman
vallee

PostPosted: 11/07/18 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics have their pick-a-seat event at the new arena on Thursday evening. We signed up for the short side when renewing at the end of the season, which cost more than our current corner seats. They sent an email this week with our new assigned seats: the last row of the end line seats, behind the basket. It's a good thing that I will be able to get to the event and try to find somewhat better seats.

When I called the ticket rep, I asked if they would be sending out a map to the arena, showing the parking lot to use and directions on how to walk to the arena from the Metro. He said that was a good idea, and "they would look into sending something like that out". What a stunning concept - letting people know how to get to your event. I'm not surprised that no one in the Mystics organization thought of it.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/31/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kristi Toliver, an N.B.A. Assistant Who’s Paid Like an Intern

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/sports/kristi-toliver-wizards-salary.html

Quote:
N.B.A. assistants routinely make $100,000 or more, with some earning over $1 million, so how much would the job pay Toliver?

The answer was $10,000.

PostPosted: 12/31/18 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Kristi Toliver, an N.B.A. Assistant Who’s Paid Like an Intern

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/sports/kristi-toliver-wizards-salary.html

Quote:
N.B.A. assistants routinely make $100,000 or more, with some earning over $1 million, so how much would the job pay Toliver?

The answer was $10,000.

That's disgusting.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 12/31/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely a topic for the CBA negotiation.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/31/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As awhom111 and I discussed in a thread around here somewhere, the cap implications get dicey when a player's being employed by the organisation in another role beyond playing. You don't want there to be a free agent available who an owner with deep pockets can entice with a regular playing salary plus an 'assistant coach' position in the offseason that's suspiciously highly paid. It could become cap circumnavigation very quickly and very easily. Not that I'm suggesting there was anything questionable in the Wizards/Mystics wanting Toliver as a coach, just that the League had to take it seriously due to the possible abuses of the system that could be done that way.

In fact, I wonder if any kind of investigation was done in Phoenix now that one of their star players is married to someone employed in the front office. Hiring Player X's husband/wife would be another dubious way around the cap the league would have to look at carefully (again, not that there was necessarily anything wrong with what the Mercury did).

PostPosted: 12/31/18 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if Toliver were to retire and become a "full-time" assistant with the Wizards, she'd likely be making $100K+?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: