RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Anonymous Coach Survey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitePal

PostPosted: 11/03/18 11:34 am    ::: Anonymous Coach Survey Reply Reply with quote

This is actually fun because it's like a Rebkell poll only with coaches.

The only thing that is strange is seeing McCallie on the "Overrated" list since almost no one except her and the Duke AD think she's anything special. The other two "Overrated" are Aston and Close, which are very sensible choices.

https://highposthoops.com/2018/11/02/coaches-get-candid-anonymous-ncaa-coach-poll/

Howee

PostPosted: 11/03/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, THERE'S some interesting fodder for us Action-Starved fans! Laughing

Many of those categories and selections leave one pondering, "What were they thinking?"

For example, I don't think Rueck is 'underrated'. Maybe to newbies, but....most people who've been following the game KNOW how spectacular his success has been, given where he started and where he is now. And Doug Bruno? His quality is legendary....he's HOF material, even if he never wins a championship. The Mid-Major coaches named are definitely underrated, imo. And Karl Smesko deserves to be in those ranks, imo.

And, re: "Most underrated player"....Ruthy? Really? She has justifiably already earned some awesome accolades. What do 'they' mean by "underrated"? I think most of her opponents (and fans) have her rated just fine.

Last edited by Howee on 11/03/18 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/03/18 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised so many people want to grab a beer with Holly Warlick.

PostPosted: 11/03/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did they show the Notre Dame cathedral in France as the picture for the University of Notre Dame? Oops!

Howee

PostPosted: 11/03/18 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Why did they show the Notre Dame cathedral in France as the picture for the University of Notre Dame? Oops!

I *thought* that didn't resemble South Bend....or ANY part of Indiana. Laughing

PostPosted: 11/03/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

I think she rides a big Harley, does long distance rides, seems like a nice person.

I think she might be interesting to have a beer with.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/03/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki Fargas also rides a big Harley and does long distances rides. No comment on her as a nice person. I suspect a conversation over beer with her would be all about her.

I agree Holly seems like a very cool lady.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/03/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Nikki Fargas also rides a big Harley and does long distances rides. No comment on her as a nice person. I suspect a conversation over beer with her would be all about her.

I think Holly and Nikki together run some annual long distance charity ride for cancer.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/03/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Question 8: You have the #1 pick in a draft of every current college player (in their current class). Who do you pick with the goal of winning a national championship before they graduate?

1. Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon

2. Megan Walker, UConn

3. Satou Sabally, Oregon

Wonder if they mis-read the question. Ionescu understandably but Walker and Sabally? I thought maybe they thought it who was most likely to win one. Even if you're going strictly with underclassmen to give them multiple years, this doesn't seem like a wise draft to me.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/03/18 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I think Holly and Nikki together run some annual long distance charity ride for cancer.

Holly is actually a hoot behind the scenes. Mikes and cameras make her freeze up.

PostPosted: 11/04/18 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Holly is actually a hoot behind the scenes. Mikes and cameras make her freeze up.

That may be one reason her players seem to love her and a lot of Tenn fans hate her. I have a lot of respect for Holly, but I think she would benefit tremendously from taking a public speaking course in the off-season.

Do you all think this survey is legit? I can't imagine a lot of coaches calling someone else out for being overrated even if done anonymously. That's pretty classless. Possibly only 10 coaches out of the 235 solicited even bothered to respond.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/04/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

That may be one reason her players seem to love her and a lot of Tenn fans hate her. I have a lot of respect for Holly, but I think she would benefit tremendously from taking a public speaking course in the off-season.

Do you all think this survey is legit? I can't imagine a lot of coaches calling someone else out for being overrated even if done anonymously. That's pretty classless. Possibly only 10 coaches out of the 235 solicited even bothered to respond.

+1

Shades

PostPosted: 11/04/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Do you all think this survey is legit? I can't imagine a lot of coaches calling someone else out for being overrated even if done anonymously. That's pretty classless.

Well it is a Megdal production, so he tends to give the hardcore fan what they want instead of the usual powder puff stuff associated with classy articles. I’m a little indifferent about what coaches think about themselves. Survey the fans about the coaches and broadcasters.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/04/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Unfortunately for her, I don't think there is any particular correlation between being a nice, well-liked person and being a good coach. The former might help you recruit, but it won't help you manage game time strategy. And if you worry too much about being liked it can actually work against building an organized disciplined team.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/05/18 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing coaches, media that actually follow the sport and the great majority of rebkell agrees on is McCallie is overrated. Serious speculation about her holding blackmail material on AD White in order to stay employed.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/05/18 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Serious speculation

Well there's a classic non sequitur.

[/url]

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/05/18 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I suspect LV fans who hate her do so, most likely, because she's a shitty coach.

PostPosted: 11/05/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

She's probably got a ton of good stories about Pat Summitt

PostPosted: 11/05/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I suspect LV fans who hate her do so, most likely, because she's a shitty coach.

50% simply because she's not Pat. 50% because she's not a very good coach.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/05/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Overrated" vs, "Underachieving"

These two are different terms with divergent meanings.

It would be curious to see how High Post Hoops defined "overrated" for purposes of the story.

Also, the article notes reaching out to over 200 coaches, but does not give the number of coaches who responded.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/05/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get the over the top hate in Karen Aston's coaching.

Is she a great coach? No. But Texas was going the way of Georgia and was totally off the WCBB scene. She has kept good talent home and now takes them to the regionals. That is certainly better than where they were.

Ditto Cori Close. Poor thing plays in front of HUNDREDS of fans for a program that gets zero attention.

What evidence is there that they are worse coaches than Hollie Warlick who mysteriously didn't make it despite deserving the top honors.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/05/18 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

Is she a great coach? No. But Texas was going the way of Georgia and was totally off the WCBB scene. She has kept good talent home and now takes them to the regionals. That is certainly better than where they were.

Ditto Cori Close. Poor thing plays in front of HUNDREDS of fans for a program that gets zero attention.

What evidence is there that they are worse coaches than Hollie Warlick who mysteriously didn't make it despite deserving the top honors.

I think Aston has had far more talent than Warlick and done nothing more with it. As I wrote the other day, before this survey came out:

ArtBest23 wrote:

I think Aston has taken over from McCallie as the leader of the "gets the least from the most" gang. The starting 5 would probably include Aston, McCallie, Close, Warlick, and Gustafson [sic Gottlieb].

Aston has recruited well (which anyone should be able to do at Texas). And totally wasted that talent.

Not sure Warlick is "overrated" because few call her a great coach. Some fans and media still try to pretend that Aston is.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/05/18 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

Agreed.

Again, the article might be good fodder for conversation, but it really can't be considered all that valid. And there is a HUGE difference between "overrated" and Not Making A Big Difference. Holly and JP took legendary programs and have DIMINISHED them. Karen and Scott have taken dying programs and resurrected them to national powerhouses.

PostPosted: 11/05/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Agreed.

Again, the article might be good fodder for conversation, but it really can't be considered all that valid. And there is a HUGE difference between "overrated" and Not Making A Big Difference. Holly and JP took legendary programs and have DIMINISHED them. Karen and Scott have taken dying programs and resurrected them to national powerhouses.

And though Cori Close gets lots of criticism, she has also moved a team from irrelevance into relevance.

PostPosted: 11/05/18 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote]And though Cori Close gets lots of criticism, she has also moved a team from irrelevance into relevance.[/quote]

Excuse me? You were the one who high handedly said that it was Nikki Caldwell who moved UCLA to relevance and the school didn't care when they let LSU pay her a ridiculous salary to get her away from UCLA. Now it's Cori Close? You might try keeping your conversations to your alma maters, Cal and UCSB, where there is plenty for you to boo hoo about.

And UCLA had the third highest average attendance in the Pac last season, behind only Oregon and OSU and yes, ahead of Stanford at 3,114.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: