RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nike Air Swoopes & Disappearance Of Women's Signature Sh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/18 5:29 pm    ::: Nike Air Swoopes & Disappearance Of Women's Signature Sh Reply Reply with quote

The Nike Air Swoopes And The Disappearance Of Women's Signature Shoes

Quote:
Today, players like Augustus or league MVP Breanna Stewart sometimes get custom models of men’s signature shoes. But even with the widespread sneaker culture in the league, no WNBA player has a signature shoe to call her own.

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2018/10/19/air-swoopes-nike-wnba-sneakers

tfan

PostPosted: 10/25/18 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why didn't women support female athlete signature sneakers? Is it the same reason given for why they don't support the WNBA: "women don't watch sports".

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/25/18 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The market for basketball shoes is driven by young people, especially high school athletes and players.

Girls' basketball players in high school -- aside from the 12 WNBA cities -- have almost zero knowledge or interest in the WNBA. Not surprisingly, then, they're going to buy Jordans or shoes from current NBA stars. You could ask the 30 girls trying out for basketball at Miramonte who Breanna Stewart is, and I would be stunned if more than one had any idea.

PostPosted: 10/25/18 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The market for basketball shoes is driven by young people, especially high school athletes and players.

Girls' basketball players in high school -- aside from the 12 WNBA cities -- have almost zero knowledge or interest in the WNBA..-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

That fact is something that fans of Female basketball seem to find hard to comprehend. I a have a friend who is a rabid fan and he can not understand why everyone else isn't as well. I constantly try to explain why but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

At presently it is a nitch sport and will remain so for the time being until or unless the attitudes of younger girls changes. That is why I can not understand Diggin's rant. As William Munny tells Little Bill in the movie " The Unforgiven" - Deserves got nothing to do with it".

Life is what it is and things are not always fair. And as I remarked on that thread-- People in hell want icewater.

PostPosted: 11/02/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Girls' basketball players in high school -- aside from the 12 WNBA cities -- have almost zero knowledge or interest in the WNBA. Not surprisingly, then, they're going to buy Jordans or shoes from current NBA stars. You could ask the 30 girls trying out for basketball at Miramonte who Breanna Stewart is, and I would be stunned if more than one had any idea.

This makes me sad. One of the most talented - and LAUDED - players in the world, and teenage female b-ball players don't know of her?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/02/18 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even as a young person, I was always baffled by the idea that someone would buy a specific shoe because of which player was paid to put their name on it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/02/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This makes me sad. One of the most talented - and LAUDED - players in the world, and teenage female b-ball players don't know of her?

Our players, most of whom who want to play in college, and at least one is a legit D1 player, have no idea who the defending NCAA champion is, or who the WNBA champion is. Well, maybe one or two out of our now nearly 40 girls trying out ...

Teenage girls, in general, are not sports fans, even if they are athletes, at least in my experience.

PostPosted: 11/02/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Our players, most of whom who want to play in college, and at least one is a legit D1 player, have no idea who the defending NCAA champion is, or who the WNBA champion is. Well, maybe one or two out of our now nearly 40 girls trying out ...

Teenage girls, in general, are not sports fans, even if they are athletes, at least in my experience.

I have to think that this hurts their performance levels to some extent as well. I always thought that I was a much better soccer/basketball player growing up because I spent so much time watching them and had a resultant understanding of the games. Sports like rugby and cricket that I didn't like watching nearly as much were more alien. I could do the basic elements my coaches were telling me to do, but it was much more robotic. When you watch the game you develop instinctive reactions.

PostPosted: 11/03/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I have to think that this hurts their performance levels to some extent as well. I always thought that I was a much better soccer/basketball player growing up because I spent so much time watching them and had a resultant understanding of the games. Sports like rugby and cricket that I didn't like watching nearly as much were more alien. I could do the basic elements my coaches were telling me to do, but it was much more robotic. When you watch the game you develop instinctive reactions.

Great point ... I tell young players that they need to watch basketball on TV and listen to the announcers. There's lots to learn by watching.

But I quickly realized girls would not watch entire games, so I resorted to begging them to watch for just five or ten minutes. My success was limited.

One thing that's really helped here, though, has been the success of the Warriors. Now since more people watch, I can actually refer to what's happened in Warrior games, or how the Warriors play, and there's a common reference point that can be used to help teach the game.

PostPosted: 11/03/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

A great deal of this has to do with the utter piss-poor marketing the league and its teams do.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/04/18 4:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

A great deal of this has to do with the utter piss-poor marketing the league and its teams do.

That's a good point. It's not like most teenage male b-ball players would know of her either at a guess. How would they?

PostPosted: 11/04/18 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Great point ... I tell young players that they need to watch basketball on TV and listen to the announcers. There's lots to learn by watching.

But I quickly realized girls would not watch entire games, so I resorted to begging them to watch for just five or ten minutes. My success was limited.

One thing that's really helped here, though, has been the success of the Warriors. Now since more people watch, I can actually refer to what's happened in Warrior games, or how the Warriors play, and there's a common reference point that can be used to help teach the game.

So if the girls don't like the sport enough to even watch games on TV - why are they playing? Is it just because they think its fun or to be cool or what?

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/04/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

So if the girls don't like the sport enough to even watch games on TV - why are they playing? Is it just because they think its fun or to be cool or what?

Because they are competitors and they love to play ... they don't need to watch other people to compete and play the game. There's nothing wrong with watching a lot of basketball on TV, but there's nothing wrong with not watching it either.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: