RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will there be a work stoppage in the 2020 season - Poll

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will all or part of the 2020 season be lost due to CBA negotiations failing to reach a deal
Yes
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
No.
72%
 72%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 40

Randy

PostPosted: 11/01/18 1:15 pm    ::: Will there be a work stoppage in the 2020 season - Poll Reply Reply with quote

Will the CBA negotiations fail to produce a deal and the 2020 season affected by a work stoppage of some sort? Why or why not.

10 day poll. We can always do a new one later on as circumstances change.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/01/18 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They'll probably piss about long enough that the offseason schedule won't start on time in January, but I'd be surprised if we lost games.

PostPosted: 11/01/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt any discussions occur until we have a league president.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 11/01/18 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who wants to be the president of the league under these circumstances?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/01/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt it.

Although we don't really know the actual financials of the teams or league, the players wouldn't get paid during a strike, the owners might be losing less money during one, so the owners wouldn't be feeling any real financial pain, and hence the players wouldn't be exercising much economic leverage by striking. They'd more likely only be hurting their own short-term and long-term pocketbooks.

Just a best guess at the moment.
Randy

PostPosted: 11/01/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted yes because the players seem rather angry and they can and usually do make more money overseas than their WNBA pay so they can afford it.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/01/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If there is a work stoppage, it is hard to imagine work ever restarting.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 11/01/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how this works for the players - might as well just decide to stop playing in the wnba.

They do not have the leverage of MLB, NFL, NBA...

Who is losing a bunch of money if the games aren't played when most teams aren't making money?

Where is any impact full pressure coming from that will move the NBA portion off their line?

I have to think the tipping point where it is cheaper to fold the league and write off the loss wouldn't take long to reach.

PostPosted: 11/01/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Sounds like Tatum is diving in head first.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 11/02/18 4:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A short season would hurt the league. A cancelled season would almost kill the league. There's too much momentum for the league right now to have this derail it.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 11/02/18 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Sounds like Tatum is diving in head first.

Maybe they should just add being WNBA pres to his title or just include the duties in his job description.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/02/18 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
the owners might be losing less money during one, so the owners wouldn't be feeling any real financial pain, and hence the players wouldn't be exercising much economic leverage by striking. They'd more likely only be hurting their own short-term and long-term pocketbooks.

It's a good point that money-losing owners would be less worried about a strike than if this were a thriving business. But they would need to cancel the season fairly early. They have some financial commitments that might be difficult to back out of as the season approaches. Specifically their lease for the arena games and the lease for the player's apartments.

I guess the coaches and office staff can just be laid off, with the hope some can be re-hired the next season. They probably would like to avoid that though, a plus for the players. But if they did go that far - disband most of their organization - that could push them to fold.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 11/02/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
the owners might be losing less money during one, so the owners wouldn't be feeling any real financial pain, and hence the players wouldn't be exercising much economic leverage by striking. They'd more likely only be hurting their own short-term and long-term pocketbooks.

It's a good point that money-losing owners would be less worried about a strike than if this were a thriving business. But they would need to cancel the season fairly early. They have some financial commitments that might be difficult to back out of as the season approaches. Specifically their lease for the arena games and the lease for the player's apartments.

I guess the coaches and office staff can just be laid off, with the hope some can be re-hired the next season. They probably would like to avoid that though, a plus for the players. But if they did go that far - disband most of their organization - that could push them to fold.

Not less worried but less financial incentive or ability to bend.

This is why I think there is a quick tipping point where it is better financially to shut it down and and write off the loss vs trying to recover that loss post stoppage.

Every league has to rebuild to some degree after a work stoppage. Some fans divert their interest and some get mad (at owners or players or both) and never return.

Rebuild is a tall order when the build is still in process.

Hopefully they can find the middle ground for now that improves the environment for the players and is viable for the league.

PostPosted: 11/02/18 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Good point, but those contracts may have escape clauses for the owners in the event of a strike, which are called force majeure or act-of-god clauses. Whether or not such clauses include strikes may depend on who had the negotiating leverage those contracts, the team owners or the facility owners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: