RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND comments from ACC media day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 10/04/18 6:26 am    ::: ND comments from ACC media day Reply Reply with quote

Video is at: https://theacc.com/watch/?id=147240

McGraw commented that early on they might need some time to adjust to the new lineups, although the European trip helped with that. Nixon played well, so she should get a lot of backup time (She's a PG).

When asked about dropping from playing 40 minutes a game to 30, Mabrey said that she'd prefer the 30 minutes because "Sometimes it seemed like our lungs would collapse." She said that it was easier mentally playing 30 minutes vs 40. Also, she said that taking some time on the bench watching the game from there gave a different perspective that helped when she went back into the game.

Mabrey also mentioned that a key thing in leading the freshmen was trying to give them an idea of what it took to get where the seniors are now, all the little things that might not seem important.

They tried to bait them into the "what games do you have circled" thing and they didn't bite. Mabrey said Va Tech because she looks forward to playing against her little sister Dara.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/05/18 9:33 am    ::: Re: ND comments from ACC media day Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

McGraw commented that early on they might need some time to adjust to the new lineups, although the European trip helped with that. Nixon played well, so she should get a lot of backup time (She's a PG).

When asked about dropping from playing 40 minutes a game to 30, Mabrey said that she'd prefer the 30 minutes because "Sometimes it seemed like our lungs would collapse." She said that it was easier mentally playing 30 minutes vs 40. Also, she said that taking some time on the bench watching the game from there gave a different perspective that helped when she went back into the game.

Mabrey also mentioned that a key thing in leading the freshmen was trying to give them an idea of what it took to get where the seniors are now, all the little things that might not seem important.

They tried to bait them into the "what games do you have circled" thing and they didn't bite. Mabrey said Va Tech because she looks forward to playing against her little sister Dara.

I just don't see how anyone comes within 20 points of ND this year. They are loaded. Size, speed, quickness, shooting.....

CBiebel

PostPosted: 10/05/18 1:58 pm    ::: Re: ND comments from ACC media day Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

I just don't see how anyone comes within 20 points of ND this year. They are loaded. Size, speed, quickness, shooting.....

It's kind of like UConn 2002: Who do you shut down? Oh right, all 5 starters can score. The main difference is that instead of 4 seniors and a sophomore, ND has 4 seniors and junior.

BTW, the talk of "No one within 20 points" made me wonder about UConn. When ND beat them by 16 back in 2001, it was "their worst loss since 1993" (It's now tied for #4, with two 23 point losses and a 17 point loss all during "the Dark Ages." The other 16 point loss was also during that period). Auriemma has only had two losses worse than the Dark Ages ones: a 28 point loss in 1992 and a 32 point loss way back in 1989 (obviously, the latter before he was able to build up the program).

UConn has only had 15 double digit losses since their first NC in 1995. That's only 2 every 3 years. Three were in 1999, and 6 were in the 2004-07 period.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/06/18 7:14 am    ::: Re: ND comments from ACC media day Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
ucbart wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

It's kind of like UConn 2002: Who do you shut down? Oh right, all 5 starters can score. The main difference is that instead of 4 seniors and a sophomore, ND has 4 seniors and junior.

BTW, the talk of "No one within 20 points" made me wonder about UConn. When ND beat them by 16 back in 2001, it was "their worst loss since 1993" (It's now tied for #4, with two 23 point losses and a 17 point loss all during "the Dark Ages." The other 16 point loss was also during that period). Auriemma has only had two losses worse than the Dark Ages ones: a 28 point loss in 1992 and a 32 point loss way back in 1989 (obviously, the latter before he was able to build up the program).

UConn has only had 15 double digit losses since their first NC in 1995. That's only 2 every 3 years. Three were in 1999, and 6 were in the 2004-07 period.

Don't blame me when this becomes a UCONN vs. ND thread. You started this.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/18 11:25 am    ::: Re: ND comments from ACC media day Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I thought you started it with that nonsense about no team coming within 20 pts. All year? You can’t be serious.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/06/18 11:56 am    ::: Re: ND comments from ACC media day Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I thought you started it with that nonsense about no team coming within 20 pts. All year? You can’t be serious.

I was talking about ND....and with that roster, nobody should come within 20 points of them.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 10/06/18 1:53 pm    ::: Re: ND comments from ACC media day Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I was talking about ND....and with that roster, nobody should come within 20 points of them.

As Shades pointed out that comment does kind of stick out, even with ND's situation. (Shades and I agree on something? Is the world about to end?) If you'd have said win every game by double digits, that would be one thing (although ND is playing two teams from last year's Final Four), but 20 points? Even during the long winning streaks UConn teams didn't do that. Even when they were beating everyone by double digits, there were some of the wins in the 10-19 point range.

I was just pointing out that since 1995 (at least), UConn only had 2 losses by more than 20 points, and that was during their worst stretch of that time period. I don't think UConn's fallen on that hard of a time yet. Wink

I also don't think Louisville will lose by more than 20 to ND, even with the revenge factor and home game for ND, but a 15 point win by ND over them would be just fine by me. Wink

Other teams I think probably won't lose by 20 to ND: South Carolina (possible opponent), DePaul, Tennessee, Marquette (last year that game went into OT, at home!), FSU (Last year's big win was a bizarre inverse of the Louisville game, I don't see that happening again), and NC State. Even if some of these teams do lose by 20, the chance that all of them do is extremely unlikely.

Besides the general "these other teams are also good, even if they don't have 4 seniors and a junior starting" thing, you have two other factors:

1. McGraw isn't one to really try to run up the score. She does try to get the bench in during blowouts. I remember one really lopsided game a few years ago where four of the starters had the four fewest minutes played in the game.

2. ND really needs to get it's bench some playing experience. The bench consists of: 2 sophomores (one who was injured 6 games in last year and another who wasn't quite ready as a freshman, although she supposedly looked much better during the summer trip), four freshmen, and 2 walk-ons. Needless to say, that group desperately needs to get playing time to prepare for next year.

I know some on here claim that I'm really extreme in my outlook towards ND's possibility for success, but even I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest winning every game by 20. Even winning every game by 10 (while possible with this team) isn't a likely prediction, given some of the opponents and just the way the ball bounces sometimes.

ridor

PostPosted: 10/31/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think all 4 players with ACL tears will recover and resume their glory days. I suspect only 2 or 3 will be able to do that but the other 1 or 2 will struggle with it during the season. But the whole team is going to be formidable for everyone to deal with.

R-

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/31/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I don't think all 4 players with ACL tears will recover and resume their glory days. I suspect only 2 or 3 will be able to do that but the other 1 or 2 will struggle with it during the season. But the whole team is going to be formidable for everyone to deal with.

R-

Welp Vaughn & Turner seem to be back to normal per the box score of the exhibition . Thompson is gone so she wouldn't apply same goes for Michael Johnson so not sure who specifically your suspecting ?

PostPosted: 10/31/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thompson is gone? The one that transferred from Stanford to Notre Dame, right? I'm behind the news. What happened to her? According to the articles, they said there are 4 returning players with ACL tears.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/31/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think people are quibbling about Bart's general point that Notre Dame should have a bigger MOV this season than last because they should be improved while other contenders may be weaker. I agree that UConn should get within 20 points.

As a pictorial aside, Notre Dame may have just published the first official roster picture in history that has 26 people in it.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/31/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Thompson is gone? The one that transferred from Stanford to Notre Dame, right? I'm behind the news. What happened to her? According to the articles, they said there are 4 returning players with ACL tears.

The articles discuss that Notre Dame had four players with ACL tears last year, but won the national title.

Lili Thompson was a graduate transfer her suffered her ACL mid-season;, her eligibility was exhausted.

Mychal Thompson chose not to return for her fifth year (she would have had a medical redshirt). A few weeks ago, she had a baby with her high school boyfriend (and 2014 NBA Draft #1 selection and current Timberwolves star) Andrew Wiggins.
https://www.sportsgossip.com/nba/andrew-wiggins-and-his-girlfriend-mychal-johnson-welcomed-a-baby-girl

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 10/31/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think another way to read bart's comment, as well as the AP rank, is that the '18-'19 NCAA WCB NC is ND's alone to lose.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/31/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ONLY way to read . . .

ucbart wrote:

. . .is as attempting the classic ploy of setting up some silly artificial "test" so that he can come back later and post about what a disappointment and underachiever ND is the first time they only win by 18 (ignoring of course that the starters headed to the bench in the third quarter with a 30 point lead).

I promise that ucbart doesn't believe for a moment that ND is any more "loaded" than UConn, nor that ND will beat UConn, much less by 20.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 10/31/18 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

ucbart wrote:

. . .is as attempting the classic ploy of setting up some silly artificial "test" so that he can come back later and post about what a disappointment and underachiever ND is the first time they only win by 18 (ignoring of course that the starters headed to the bench in the third quarter with a 30 point lead).

I promise that ucbart doesn't believe for a moment that ND is any more "loaded" than UConn, nor that ND will beat UConn, much less by 20.

It may be the only way YOU are able to read it. Having personally known bart for many years, I'd bet my read is much more accurate than yours.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/31/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's noble of you to attempt to defend your long-time friend.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/31/18 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

ucbart wrote:

It would be an improvement if the Irish don't lose a game by 30+.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/31/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I don't care if they lose a game by 50 as long as they end the season like this

Really bugs you doesn't it. Laughing

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 10/31/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It's noble of you to attempt to defend your long-time friend.

Agreed. Much more noble than your attempt to denigrate a fan of the team you despise.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/01/18 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Well, then I definitely expect an improvement... Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/01/18 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

ucbart wrote:

I have to say that as someone who has met ucbart in person and has seen his posts online for a very long time, I don't see him as the type of person to do this. I disagree with his assessment, but I don't think he did it as a "setup."

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/01/18 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

ucbart wrote:

I have to say that as someone who has met ucbart in person and has seen his posts online for a very long time, I don't see him as the type of person to do this. I disagree with his assessment, but I don't think he did it as a "setup."

UCBart has always seemed like a good fan to me as well. He's doesn't put down other teams and his assessments seem fair. I don't see anything nefarious in his post.

ridor

PostPosted: 11/01/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Observing Muffet for many years, she is not the type of a person who would rout Top 25 teams by 30 or 40 points. I really don't think this year, she would do such a thing. Beating many Top 25 teams by 20 or more is going to happen but by 30 or 40? That's not who she is.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/18 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So there are people here (including CBiebel and Fighting Artichoke) who actually believe that ucbart believes ND is far more "loaded" than UConn (with all its #1 ranked recruits) and that UConn can't possibly come within 20 pts of ND when they play in a month? Because that's what his post encompasses.

Really?

And I thought this was November 1, not April 1.

ridor

PostPosted: 11/01/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because the game is going to be in South Bend, ND will win this one. BUT it won't be more than 20 points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: